What's the name/number of that little freeway that connects I-88 to I-294?

Started by bugo, December 12, 2014, 03:31:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: PColumbus73 on December 25, 2014, 04:38:11 PM
Quote from: CtrlAltDel on December 25, 2014, 03:34:36 AM
Quote from: PColumbus73 on December 25, 2014, 03:14:00 AM
They are a set of ramps, the only reason they are being misconstrued as a freeway is the fact they are two lanes wide each.

That, and because they're a mile or so long.

The ramps from I-295 to I-95 north of Richmond are about a mile long

Good point. They get misconstrued as a freeway because they are two lanes wide each, becasue they have their own exit, because they are a mile or so long, and because they veer a fair distance away from the routes that they connect.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

vtk

Quote from: PColumbus73 on December 25, 2014, 03:14:00 AM
They are a set of ramps, the only reason they are being misconstrued as a freeway is the fact they are two lanes wide each.

There is a stretch of the ramps roughly a mile long where they follow a common alignment.  Within that stretch, the cross-section of roadway and grading design across the two ramps is indistinguishable from that of a freeway or expressway mainline.  Ordinary ramps don't usually pair up so neatly. 
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

ajlynch91

I happened to drive on this "freeway" a couple days ago and noted that, at least in the southbound direction, was signed as I-294, without even a "TO" over it.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

ET21

Quote from: ajlynch91 on January 22, 2015, 01:24:52 PM
I happened to drive on this "freeway" a couple days ago and noted that, at least in the southbound direction, was signed as I-294, without even a "TO" over it.

Southbound direction? If you're talking about the I-294 shield sign on the side on the ramp from EB I-88 to South I-294, that originally had a TO on the top. Some reason they decided to put South on top of it but never signed the other side along the lines of West I-88. Don't know why that sign is still there to this day.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Stratuscaster

Same thing on the stub ramp to I-88 from Downers Dr/Butterfield Rd in Downers Grove. Signed as "WEST I-88". I seem to recall there was a "TO" on that a long time ago as well...like at least 2 decades ago.

PurdueBill

A set of ramps acting as a freeway with its own number is seen in Warrensville Heights and neighboring cities.  ODOT numbers it as I-480N, which according to the SLD (PDF) is 1.99 miles long.  Its own interchange with Miles Road helps bolster its pseudo-promotion.

Postmiles (white ones on bridges and green ones on BGS supports including those on Miles Rd.) and the 2/10 mile markers are the only place 480N is let out.  Otherwise it's signed as if it were a long ramp.  (It's been a while since 480N came up from what I can tell.)

I-90

it's just a set of ramps connecting I-88 and I-294 with a ramp to York road

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.