News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Largest state economies

Started by Bruce, May 03, 2019, 04:23:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce

thspfc

If Texas was its own country, it would have the 12th largest economy in the world. !

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

bing101

Quote from: Rothman on May 03, 2019, 05:47:46 PM
And California?

I know that California was mentioned to be the 5th-8th largest economy of the world for the past 4 decades.

Chris

Colorado made some remarkable gains as well, while Louisiana and Michigan have dropped significantly.

It would be interesting to know the per capita ranking.

Washington seems to attract both population and highly productive industries, that has propelled them upward so much over the last few years. They passed 4 states in just a few years, that's not due to population growth alone. North Carolina has a substantially larger population than Washington.

webny99

Quote from: Chris on May 04, 2019, 05:47:28 AM
It would be interesting to know the per capita ranking.

See the bottom of the article -- it gives some of the state figures, in addition to a graph for each state showing how its per capita ranking has changed over time.

kevinb1994

Even Georgia made an impressive leap towards the top of the list. Can't say that's surprising though, as we all know where the 1996 Summer Olympics were held for the 100th anniversary of the Modern Olympic Games. However, it looks like they're about to drop below Washington State.

On the other hand, it seems like Florida has stagnated in growth twice since "˜85. This is likely due to the freezing temperatures that occurred in the successive winters of "˜85—"˜86, in particular by the January "˜85 cold wave, the worst since 1899. This drove the crops out of the Greater Orlando area and into other areas of the state, mostly to South Florida, where they remain today. There was also the recession of the late-80s and early 90s, in addition to the recession of the late-90s and early-00s, though the chart shows a slight uptick in growth in 2000. Things went stagnant again thanks to the most recent Great Recession, which was also the time of the recent housing crisis.

triplemultiplex

The graph is just ranking; it says nothing about actual growth of an economy.  A state could 'drop' in the list despite having steady gains if some other state grew faster.  Not very telling.

Also, it's basically just a population graph.  Not exactly, but pretty close.
https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_population
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Duke87

I have to wonder about the accounting behind this sort of thing.

For example, we know Amazon and Microsoft are both HQ'd in Washington. Is it being counted as a "net export" from the state for the purposes of GDP calculation every time someone out of state buys a copy of Windows? Is the value of that export derated to account for the fact that some Windows development work surely happens in other states?
Likewise, is it a "net export" every time someone pays for Amazon Web Services? Even if the servers hosting the services they're purchasing are located elsewhere?

The other major known issue with the numbers here is that they're based on raw dollars, not on purchasing power parity. I bet for example that if you looked at purchasing power parity Texas would have passed New York a lot sooner and the current gap between the two would be a lot wider.
Texas might even beat California out at purchasing power per capita.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: bing101 on May 03, 2019, 05:54:33 PM
Quote from: Rothman on May 03, 2019, 05:47:46 PM
And California?

I know that California was mentioned to be the 5th-8th largest economy of the world for the past 4 decades.
I've heard 4th largest before as well.

SM-J737T

ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

webny99

For California, fourth is a stretch. It is anywhere from fifth to eighth depending on how you count and what year you look at.

It definitely ranks behind the US (really!), China, Japan, and Germany. It is one of the next four along with the UK, India, and France, often considered the largest of those four but nowhere near surpassing Germany.

Texas and New York also rank in the top 15: 11th and 13th, respectively, with Canada sandwiched in between at #12.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.