News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Off-Topic / Re: Gen Z Is Choosing Not to D...
Last post by amberjns - May 09, 2024, 01:22:57 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 21, 2024, 04:15:34 PM
Quote from: Bruce on January 21, 2024, 03:50:35 PMWhen we build an utterly depressing outside for teenagers and young adults, it's no wonder they choose to socialize virtually and not in the dwindling number of third places. On top of that, the cost of a used car and its maintenance makes it hard to justify if you live in an area with half-decent alternative options. I myself am looking forward to driving far less once a big transit expansion is completed later this year.

What is it exactly that is depressing outside in Washington State?  When I was in high school in Michigan, I would have killed to have outdoor recreational activities that are available in Washington State.  A huge contributing reason I moved to Arizona a week out of high school was the times I spent with my older brother while on vacation out there circa 1996-2000.
I agree that Washington State offers plenty of opportunities for outdoor recreation, such as skiing, biking, and water sports. However, it's noticeable that the younger generation can't do without their gadgets, but honestly, I see that many older people also overuse them.
Suggestions and Questions / Re: Theme Change?
Last post by hbelkins - May 09, 2024, 01:16:49 PM
The old button copy theme was much more palatable than this current hunk of garbage.
Off-Topic / Re: Crazy things you've found ...
Last post by amberjns - May 09, 2024, 01:10:55 PM
Nice thread, I saw my uncle scratching his head near his house. :popcorn:
Southeast / Re: Mississippi
Last post by MoiraPrime - May 09, 2024, 01:03:25 PM
I rode with some family from south MS all the way up to Little Rock to see the eclipse last month.

The saddest part was that Jackson had the worst roads by far. We went up US 61 at Vicksburg and MS 1 around Greenville and you get the idea... the roads in the delta were fine... in Jackson though the westbound roadway of I-20 is some of the worst road I've ever been on.

Runner up is probably that awful stretch of I-30 over the Arkansas river in Little Rock but I can overlook it since it was under construction.
Off-Topic / Re: American Truck Simulator
Last post by MoiraPrime - May 09, 2024, 12:54:15 PM
The Nebraska DLC releases in 1 week.

Arkansas and Missouri are currently in development.
Southeast / Re: Florida
Last post by Sani - May 09, 2024, 12:50:26 PM
Quote from: Alex on May 09, 2024, 07:42:05 AM
Quote from: Sani on May 08, 2024, 11:34:33 AMI assume the blank spaces are for additional destinations once the express lanes on the Howard Frankland Bridge are open. Do we know what those will be yet? Is the plan to add an express lane along I-275 to downtown Tampa?

The I-275 Express Lanes will be extended as part of the new Howard Frankland Bridge being constructed through late 2025. They will tie into the planned reconstruction of the West Shore Interchange joining I-275 and SR 60 (Kennedy Blvd / Memorial Hwy). Work at I-275/SR 60 is anticipated to start later this year.
Thanks! Kind of odd that they don't have any plans for the Westshore reconstruction on there if construction is supposed to start in the coming months.

Edit: Never mind, I found it. https://www.tampabaynext.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Tampas-Westshore-Interchange-overview-and-concept-plans-2022-_07_21.pdf
Off-Topic / Re: Minor things that bother y...
Last post by vdeane - May 09, 2024, 12:49:23 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on May 09, 2024, 08:29:12 AM
Quote from: formulanone on May 08, 2024, 06:20:46 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on May 07, 2024, 08:43:51 PMThings that make you feel old: On tonight's episode of Jeopardy, none of the contestants recognized the lyrics to "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now."
Uh oh, the world ran out of lovers.

Here was the full clue, by the way. The category was "Pop Music" and they had a video of songwriter Diane Warren, seated in front of a piano, saying the following:

QuoteYou might not remember the film "Mannequin", but I hope you remember my song from it that says, "And we can build this dream together standing strong together", this 5-word title.

I could easily understand someone not knowing the exact words to the song were "dream" and "standing strong" (I think those two lines are easy to mishear as something else), but that song was—and arguably still is—so ubiquitous on the radio that I was flabbergasted that none of the contestants knew what song it was. (I remember it being from the movie, although I never saw the movie beyond the clips they used in the song's music video.)
I recognize song more by melody than lyrics so even though I know the song (and seem to hear it whenever I drive within radio range of CBS FM) I don't think I could have gotten it from the clue.
General Highway Talk / Re: Beltways That Work, and Be...
Last post by PColumbus73 - May 09, 2024, 12:45:17 PM
Quote from: jlam on May 09, 2024, 12:34:15 PMI-185 in SC isn't a very good bypass, not because it's congested, but because its utilization level is very low. For some reason, it's a toll road, so the already poorly located bypass is given another reason to be shunned.

I've used it going to Clemson from the eastern part of the state, that's about all the tolled section of I-185 is good for. Even if you're using it to get to 85, you're better off exiting at SC 153 to get to either.
General Highway Talk / Re: Beltways That Work, and Be...
Last post by hotdogPi - May 09, 2024, 12:44:42 PM
In my area, "beltways" are used for local traffic. The northern half of I-495 goes through the large cities of Lowell, Lawrence, and Haverhill, MA 128 is used by the suburbs, and I-93 bypasses Manchester more than I-293 does.
Great Lakes and Ohio Valley / Re: Madison Area
Last post by mgk920 - May 09, 2024, 12:44:21 PM
Quote from: on_wisconsin on May 08, 2024, 11:33:03 PM
Quote from: mgk920 on May 08, 2024, 11:22:42 PM(Without clicking in that link) how does that affect the UC bus rapid transit ('BRT') line?

No direct effects, as buses were pulled from lower State last year during the route redesign. The BRT lines will join/ depart the road at Johnson and Gorham Streets.

OK, thanx.

Mike

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.