News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Illinois Tollway Notes

Started by I-39, March 21, 2016, 10:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jericho That

Quote from: kphoger on March 16, 2017, 06:03:00 PM
Quote from: ILRoad55 on March 11, 2017, 10:42:52 PMAlso I've seen too many crashes at Route 83 and Cermak 22nd Street by the mall because they don't have flashing warning lights to allow drivers to know about the Stoplight

Unless those accidents involved out-of-town/state drivers, I have a hard time believing the people didn't know about the stoplight. It's been my experience in that neighborhood that people are just in a hurry and feel they're above having to wait for another light cycle. FWIW, I hate transiting that area, especially by foot.

I agree. People aren't keeping their speed up because they're unaware of the signal, they're just determined to beat the light.

I drove through this intersection yesterday and noticed the red light cameras for the first time. I don't know how long they've been up, but the warning signs still have their orange flags attached. Too bad they're pointed at the wrong approach..

Brandon

Quote from: Jericho That on March 17, 2017, 07:58:00 AM
Quote from: ILRoad55 on March 11, 2017, 10:42:52 PMAlso I've seen too many crashes at Route 83 and Cermak 22nd Street by the mall because they don't have flashing warning lights to allow drivers to know about the Stoplight

Unless those accidents involved out-of-town/state drivers, I have a hard time believing the people didn't know about the stoplight. It's been my experience in that neighborhood that people are just in a hurry and feel they're above having to wait for another light cycle. FWIW, I hate transiting that area, especially by foot.

I agree. People aren't keeping their speed up because they're unaware of the signal, they're just determined to beat the light.

I drove through this intersection yesterday and noticed the red light cameras for the first time. I don't know how long they've been up, but the warning signs still have their orange flags attached. Too bad they're pointed at the wrong approach..

They're up on 22nd Street eastbound and 83 southbound because Oakbrook Terrace wanted them.  Oak Brook is opposed to these cameras (and is the municipality on the other two corners there).

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=19267.0
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

paulthemapguy

That intersection sees too much traffic to even function, even having 3 straight lanes on each of the approaches.  The traffic will be so backed-up coming from the west approach, that I'll often have to wait 2-3 whole signal cycles to make it through the intersection (not even during rush hour).  That's why authorities know they can catch people with the red light cameras (assuming they function properly and justly--and I'm not getting into that argument now).
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: paulthemapguy on March 30, 2017, 09:15:36 PM

That intersection sees too much traffic to even function, even having 3 straight lanes on each of the approaches.  The traffic will be so backed-up coming from the west approach, that I'll often have to wait 2-3 whole signal cycles to make it through the intersection (not even during rush hour).  That's why authorities know they can catch people with the red light cameras (assuming they function properly and justly--and I'm not getting into that argument now).
Build a over / under pass.

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=10031.0

ET21

The Mile Long Bridge on I-294 begins a year long repair project on Monday. Construction zone looks to be from Willow Springs Road to Archer Ave. Expected to finish in 2018.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

tribar

Why are they doing this now? Shouldn't they do that when the central Tri State is rebuilt in a few years?

ET21

It's mainly for the bridge deck itself. Since they redid it with the re-surface a couple years ago, the bridge pavement is riddled with potholes across all lanes. Probably they figure "let's do one final fixer before it gets torn down and rebuilt from the ground up in 3-6 years"

It also looks like some sideline bridge and ramp repairs are also scheduled for the southern section from 95th to the Bishop Ford.

Here's the link to the Mile project: https://www.illinoistollway.com/documents/20184/552064/2017+294+Mile_Long-Bridge_Projects_FactSheet_03-22-17.pdf/bbfd5c24-181b-4ed0-a01d-80c491c1e097
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

ChiMilNet

It also looks like they are doing some repair projects on the Northern Portion (North of I-90). I guess just necessary maintenance although this section was mostly rebuilt less than 10 years ago (save for the portion between Lake-Cook and Half Day Road).

tdindy88

Curious question here if it's okay to ask on this thread. I'm thinking about a short trip to the Chicago area from Indy around the 4th of July and wanted to clinch some roadways and see newly updated parts of the tollways there. On a Sunday I'd drive north on the Tri-State (from the Edens via Chicago) north to Milwaukee and southwest on I-43 to Beloit before heading south along I-90 all the way toward the Tri-State. I would then backtrack my way back to drive along I-355 for its entirety.

My question, and a apologize if this has been asked elsewhere before, is could I buy an EZPass for primarily that one day if I'm going to be on all those tollways. Typically I just visit the cash booths along those highways. And if its feasible, should I buy the pass through Illinois or Indiana?

ChiMilNet

Quote from: tdindy88 on April 08, 2017, 08:45:52 PM
Curious question here if it's okay to ask on this thread. I'm thinking about a short trip to the Chicago area from Indy around the 4th of July and wanted to clinch some roadways and see newly updated parts of the tollways there. On a Sunday I'd drive north on the Tri-State (from the Edens via Chicago) north to Milwaukee and southwest on I-43 to Beloit before heading south along I-90 all the way toward the Tri-State. I would then backtrack my way back to drive along I-355 for its entirety.

My question, and a apologize if this has been asked elsewhere before, is could I buy an EZPass for primarily that one day if I'm going to be on all those tollways. Typically I just visit the cash booths along those highways. And if its feasible, should I buy the pass through Illinois or Indiana?

If you buy an EZ-Pass in Indiana, it will work in Illinois as IPass and EZ-Pass are completely interchangeable. It's honestly your choice which agency you want to go through, as it's really a wash either way (unless Indiana has a different pricing plan for IPass. I forget the policy on that).

However, you can't do a one-day purchase. Once you have it, it's registered to you. The good news is that, after the initial up front fee, you only pay as you use it. Also, keep in mind that it will work on any tollway on the IPass or EZ-Pass system.

paulthemapguy

EZ Passes in Indiana are sold at Toll Road Travel Plazas and at CVS stores in the northern part of the state, and IPass transponders are sold at Jewel grocery stores in northeast Illinois- whichever is more convenient to stop at along your route.  If you stop at Jewel, go to the customer service desk at the front of the store near the checkout stands.  If you have an EZ Pass already, it should work at all toll plazas along the Illinois system, like the above post states.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

tdindy88

Thanks. I was thinking of just having it mailed to me probably thru the Indiana Toll Road and having it ready to use by July.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: tdindy88 on April 09, 2017, 09:59:19 PM
Thanks. I was thinking of just having it mailed to me probably thru the Indiana Toll Road and having it ready to use by July.

EZ Pass will also work whenever you decide to come down and clinch the new roadway and bridge over the Ohio River.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

johndoe780

Anyone have links to the new cam pictures? The ones on page 2 are severely outdated.

Brandon

I would recommend the Illinois version (I-Pass).  The reason being that ISTHA does not charge any monthly or yearly fees.  The ITR charges $1/month.  ISTHA also charges a refundable $10 deposit while the ITR charges a $20 refundable deposit.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

inkyatari

Quote from: Rick Powell on March 16, 2017, 05:46:28 PM
Quote from: inkyatari on March 13, 2017, 09:12:46 AM
I say yes.  It needs a bypass around Morris, Yorkville and Elburn, and Grundy County has funding in place for a study to widen 47 from Morris to Dwight.  I think this could be done.

Should 47 ever be widened to Dwight - I can see this, but in the far future- that would make the IL 47 corridor a great far western Chicago bypass, which it should be.

I am not aware that "Grundy County" currently has any study money for a state highway, IL 47 or otherwise. The last time the county started a study of a state highway, it was the Brisbin Road/I-80 interchange, and IDOT took it over when it became too big for the county to handle. Do you have a link or any other evidence?

FYI, before the Illinois River bridge at Morris was widened, the FHWA was adamant that the logical south terminus of the project should be IL 113, which would have pushed the 4-lane widening a third of the way to Dwight. IDOT talked them out of it and it was truncated at Southmor Road. With ADT approaching 10,000 in that stretch, maybe the FHWA should have prevailed.

I could have sworn I read a news article about having funding for the study.  Now I'm only seeing it in a county priority list...

http://gedc.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Transportation-Plan-Final.pdf
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

tdindy88

Quote from: Brandon on April 10, 2017, 12:56:42 PM
I would recommend the Illinois version (I-Pass).  The reason being that ISTHA does not charge any monthly or yearly fees.  The ITR charges $1/month.  ISTHA also charges a refundable $10 deposit while the ITR charges a $20 refundable deposit.

Okay. I just wasn't sure if there was a problem with buying one despite being out of state. But then again the purpose would be to use it on Illinois Tollways so that would make since. I might keep it around to check out the Louisville bridges too but since it's all EZPass then I guess that wouldn't be a problem.

Brandon

^^ ISTHA is fairly liberal with them for out of state residents.  You can be in California and get an I-Pass.  However, most of the out of state folks tend to be from Indiana, Michigan, Wisconsin, & Iowa.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: tdindy88 on April 10, 2017, 09:30:29 PM
Quote from: Brandon on April 10, 2017, 12:56:42 PM

Okay. I just wasn't sure if there was a problem with buying one despite being out of state. But then again the purpose would be to use it on Illinois Tollways so that would make since. I might keep it around to check out the Louisville bridges too but since it's all EZPass then I guess that wouldn't be a problem.

I'm a Wisconsin resident and have had an iPass for years.  They'll take anyone's money.

dcharlie

Yes, but at least they are taking only half the money that they would be taking if you didn't have one!

SEWIGuy

Quote from: dcharlie on April 11, 2017, 04:44:31 PM
Yes, but at least they are taking only half the money that they would be taking if you didn't have one!

Not if I actively avoid the toll roads.

Brandon

Hence why a bunch of Cheeseheads and others from out of state get one in the first place.  :bigass:

dcharlie

Quote from: SEWIGuy on April 11, 2017, 04:48:42 PM

Not if I actively avoid the toll roads.

Good point!

GeekJedi

Quote from: Brandon on April 11, 2017, 04:49:02 PM

Hence why a bunch of Cheeseheads and others from out of state get one in the first place.  :bigass:

I got mine when they first came out - back then I lived in Joliet, so it made sense. I kept it when I moved so that I could avoid paying the "Wisconsin Tax". :-)
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

inkyatari

With the state of roads and things in Illinois in general, they should just start charging a $5 entrance fee to the state.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.