News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Why no access from SB US 51 to TN 300?

Started by bugo, January 20, 2015, 01:16:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

There is a trumpet of sorts but is missing a ramp from SB US 51 to EB TN 300. Is through traffic just supposed to go through Memphis?

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

bugo

I guess you could make a hard left onto the ramp from NB 51 to EB 300 but why didn't they build a proper trumpet in the first place?

codyg1985

There is a way to turn left from SB US 51 to access TN 300: https://www.google.com/maps/@35.1979724,-90.0343381,463m/data=!3m1!1e3

As you can also see on the aerial photography, grading is in place for what was going to be the Riverfront Freeway for a directional ramp from EB TN 300 to NB US 51. I guess the design didn't have enough room to squeeze in a loop ramp, but they had room to put one in because there was nothing to the south to keep them from doing so.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

rickmastfan67

I'm guessing because they didn't want to tear out a ramp when they started to build I-69 there.

MikeTheActuary

Building any more for then-proposed future needs would have involved a significant amount of additional grading and working around a railroad (which was more heavily used at the time).  Budgets are finite things.

lordsutch

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on January 20, 2015, 08:40:57 AM
I'm guessing because they didn't want to tear out a ramp when they started to build I-69 there.

That interchange predates any gleam in TDOT's eye of building I-69; TN 300 is the stub for what would have been the Riverside Drive freeway.

As it is, the SIU 9 EIS calls for rebuilding the whole thing anyway, since it doesn't meet current design standards.

Tom958

Quote from: lordsutch on January 20, 2015, 05:04:36 PMThat interchange predates any gleam in TDOT's eye of building I-69; TN 300 is the stub for what would have been the Riverside Drive freeway.

I'd forgotten about that interchange when posting to this thread. So, is it accurate to say that a riverfront freeway was an active concept since before the Interstates were built and even after the I-255 link was built?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.