News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Safety Cables Taken Down on I-540

Started by US71, January 28, 2014, 11:55:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Item in the local news today about Safety Cables being removed along I-540. They were just put up last year, but are being removed to make way for widening 540 to 6 Lanes.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

AHTD

That's correct.

The wire rope safety fence was installed knowing it would be removed for the widening project. Considering this location (which contains an S curve and a smaller median) we decided to take advantage of the opportunity to implement a higher degree of safety.

Travel and construction information available at www.idrivearkansas.com

Alps

Safe to assume that you can reuse the materials in another installation?

M86

Quote from: Alps on January 28, 2014, 11:35:32 PM

Ahh, yes.  And I-540 was going to be widened.  Why install the damn cables?!

The news report I saw said that they are reusing the materials.

What a waste... It's just sad.  But, when you have a Transportation Commission that is older than dirt with rich idiots... And some engineers that need to either be fired or let go... This is what you get. 

US71

Quote from: M86 on January 30, 2014, 01:21:30 AM

Based on what I have read, this was a separete contract that was let before AHTD knew they were going to widen 540.  Though I find myself in agreement that this seems wasteful.  I would hope AHTD has someone with a vision for the future and not simply "what can we do to make if better today"

Alps

What a waste... It's just sad.  But, when you have a Transportation Commission that is older than dirt with rich idiots... And some engineers that need to either be fired or let go... This is what you get. 
Do you routinely talk this way in front of the people you're talking about? Show some respect, son.

CANALLER

I can't speak for Arks., but on my contracts, re-setting guard rail requires new posts.  So there definitely is an added expense.  And I've seen many other examples of doing things only to have them quickly undone.

So the guy's gripe does have some merit, as all of us wind up paying the added costs.  But when angry concerned citizens just shoot their mouths off, they lose whatever credibility they have, even if what they're saying is correct.

AHTD

We released this statement today. Read it thoroughly to gain an understanding.

http://www.arkansashighways.com/news/2014/NR%2014-022.pdf
Travel and construction information available at www.idrivearkansas.com

bjrush

Makes sense. Engineers often catch hell for things that are economically justified

In this case, a person's life was likely included in the cost analysis

If people want lives to have less of an impact in economic analyses, quit being so litigious...because thats where the "value" of a human life comes from for these studies...lawsuits and settlements
Woo Pig Sooie

nexus73

Quote from: Alps on January 30, 2014, 07:00:10 PM

Do you routinely talk this way in front of the people you're talking about? Show some respect, son.

I'll cuss your ass out right to your face if you're being a 'tard.  It's nothing new for me to chew on idiots.  Having tax dollars wasted because no one had a plan in hand for the near future does deserve censure.  As for the DOT employee saying anger dismisses the cred of what's being said, I got this to say to you clownshoe.  YOUR cred went down the drain a LOOONG time ago.  Keep pissing away OUR money and you'll get Ukrained in due time. 

Got it?  Good.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

US71

Quote from: nexus73 on January 31, 2014, 09:40:09 PM

I'll cuss your ass out right to your face if you're being a 'tard.  It's nothing new for me to chew on idiots.  Having tax dollars wasted because no one had a plan in hand for the near future does deserve censure.  As for the DOT employee saying anger dismisses the cred of what's being said, I got this to say to you clownshoe.  YOUR cred went down the drain a LOOONG time ago.  Keep pissing away OUR money and you'll get Ukrained in due time. 

Got it?  Good.

Rick

*sigh*
Don't shoot the messenger, folks. 

Alps

Quote from: nexus73 on January 31, 2014, 09:40:09 PM

Got it?  Good.

Rick
Yeah, I wanna quote this so when the FBI comes knocking, we gots the proof.

CANALLER

Thanks Rick.  You illustrated my point much better than I could.

nexus73

Quote from: CANALLER on February 04, 2014, 08:22:46 PM
Thanks Rick.  You illustrated my point much better than I could.

Well buddy, when the bureaucracies keep wasting OUR money, you had better expect something besides us people pumping sunshine up your backside.  You want to hear nice things?  Then do the job right and don't waste the moolah!  The cred of government in general sucks rutabagas.  Just look at the low approval ratings for Obama and Congress.  Do you think those numbers would be any better for our various bureaucracies if the polls included them?

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

M86

Take it easy... No need to bring the federal government or politics into this thread.

nexus73

Quote from: M86 on February 05, 2014, 01:20:45 AM
Take it easy... No need to bring the federal government or politics into this thread.

Why yes there is!  Who do you think handles the roads for the most part?

The government. 

That makes them a topic of discussion.

Rick

Scott5114

Organizations include a lot of different people. In the case of our AHTD rep here, I'm guessing from where he sits in the organization (most likely a public relations division), he has little control over these sorts of decisions, so being hateful is unlikely to do anything but make AHTD re-evaluate whether having someone at AARoads is worthwhile. You don't have to agree with AHTD's decisions, but be polite and respectful to the guy they sent to talk to us. After all, they showed respect to us by sending someone here to hear what we have to say.

nexus73, political discussion that does not directly relate to roads is not permitted, per forum rules. Obama and Congress have no responsibility for I-540 safety cables. If you really want to discuss politics, there are hundreds of sites on the internet just for that purpose.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

agentsteel53

Quote from: nexus73 on January 31, 2014, 09:40:09 PMyou'll get Ukrained

can I get me done too?

I wanna look like this when I'm done.

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Scott5114

agentsteel53

mmm... lucrative - and exclusive, I believe - contract with the government.  I'm okay with this.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

nexus73

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 06, 2014, 08:40:13 PM
Organizations include a lot of different people. In the case of our AHTD rep here, I'm guessing from where he sits in the organization (most likely a public relations division), he has little control over these sorts of decisions, so being hateful is unlikely to do anything but make AHTD re-evaluate whether having someone at AARoads is worthwhile. You don't have to agree with AHTD's decisions, but be polite and respectful to the guy they sent to talk to us. After all, they showed respect to us by sending someone here to hear what we have to say.

nexus73, political discussion that does not directly relate to roads is not permitted, per forum rules. Obama and Congress have no responsibility for I-540 safety cables. If you really want to discuss politics, there are hundreds of sites on the internet just for that purpose.

Never said that Obama and Congress did.  Please read and grasp the context of the mention instead of twisting it to suit your own agenda.  Show some comprehension compadre!

As for politics and roads, the very building of roads is inherently a political act.  Individuals don't build highway networks but governments do.  Back in Huey Long's day someone asked why the pavement ended at a parish line.  Huey said because that's where the cooperation ended...LOL!  The linkage between politics and roads is an ancient one.  Why did the Roman Empire build them after all?  So to put in a political aspect when it is government involved strikes me as MOST reasonable for an area of discussion. 

Hope that clears this up.  There's some overly sensitive types who get butthurt easily here it seems.

Rick

Scott5114

Purple text denotes moderator actions. My "agenda" is keeping the board on-topic.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.