News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Bids opened for I-2 (US 83) extension at La Joya, $96 million

Started by MaxConcrete, October 03, 2019, 07:48:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaxConcrete

This contract includes work on the eastern two-thirds of the bypass from FM 2221 to the existing end of the freeway. Looking at the plans, it is 2x2 freeway with frontage roads along the full length.

There are two sharp curves at the east end, which seem unnecessary because all the land in the area is vacant. Of course, unnecessary curves seem to be a TxDOT requirement for new alignments.

http://www.dot.state.tx.us/insdtdot/orgchart/cmd/cserve/bidtab/10033201.htm

County:   HIDALGO   Let Date:   10/03/19
Type:   NEW LOCATION FREEWAY   Seq No:   3201
Time:   851 WORKING DAYS   Project ID:   NH 1902(056)
Highway:   CS   Contract #:   10193201
Length:   5.612   CCSJ:   0039-02-063
Limits:   
To:   0.28 MILES WEST OF SHOWERS ROAD   Misc Cost:   $286,500.00
Estimate   $103,484,635.99   % Over/Under   Company
Bidder 1   $95,994,022.81   -7.24%   PULICE CONSTRUCTION, INC.
Bidder 2   $106,666,290.13   +3.07%   ANDERSON COLUMBIA CO., INC.

www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

sprjus4

Those curves don't even appear to meet a speed any higher than 55 mph. Poor design IMO.

Anyways, looks to be the first project of many to come to extend I-2 westwards.

sprjus4

The design from 2012 was very similar, and has a 70 mph speed limit proposed.

That grassy median has likely been replaced by a median barrier though.

http://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot-info/phr/projects/us59-relief/111512_presentation.pdf

Bobby5280

Yeah, that hard angle turn near the end of the exiting I-2 facility just stinks. I would be surprised if the speed limit wasn't dumped down to something like 45mph or 50mph for that part of the highway. What is TX DOT trying to do? Make I-2 look like I-69 up in Kentucky and Indiana?

sprjus4

Quote from: Bobby5280 on October 03, 2019, 10:07:45 PM
Yeah, that hard angle turn near the end of the exiting I-2 facility just stinks. I would be surprised if the speed limit wasn't dumped down to something like 45mph or 50mph for that part of the highway. What is TX DOT trying to do? Make I-2 look like I-69 up in Kentucky and Indiana?
TXDOT just put in a similar curve a few years back on I-69 on the Robstown Bypass, the speed drops to 50 or 60 mph IIRC. Still, it's quite easy to take at 65 mph.

Bobby5280

None of the curves of I-69E in Robstown look that sharp. If anything, the curve that happens just south of the TX-44 exit was smoothed out to a signficantly larger radius when the freeway upgrade was built. The milder curve dramatically altered the Southbound frontage road.

Do any schematics exist of the route? My guess is the East end of the La Joya bypass will be something akin to a partial Y interchange with the existing 4-lane route.

Incidentally the West end of the La Joya bypass has already been under construction. The earliest work is visible in Google Earth (2017 imagery). There is early 2019 street view imagery showing the interchange work with US-83.

Sullivan City is immediately West of the La Joya project. What are the upgrade plans for US-83 there? Are they going to try to squeeze I-2 through town on the existing 4 lane ROW? Or will they build another bypass around that town?

wxfree

The interchange will by a Y formation with no stops.  Viewing west, the freeway lanes will be in the center will curve right and go above the westbound business route lanes.  There will be westbound frontage road, which follows the freeway, and the business route will have an exit directly from the freeway.  There will be a ramp from the frontage road to the business route.  The eastbound business route will become the frontage road and there will an entrance to the freeway.  The eastbound frontage road will be discontinuous.  At the point where it meets the business route, the right lane will go right and merge onto the westbound lanes.  The left lane will go left, below the freeway, and will merge onto the westbound frontage road (U-turn).  Both outlets have new lanes, and there are no stop signs or short yields.

The speed limit on the end of the existing freeway is 65.  Going westbound, the speed limit will remain 65 through the first curve.  There will be an advisory speed of 55.  The speed limit increases to 70 in the second curve, with no advisory speed.  Eastbound, the speed limit will reduce to 65 in the first curve, and the second curve will have an advisory speed of 55.  Frontage road speed limits are 55 near the interchange.  The business route has a speed limit of 65 on the east end, reducing to 55 before the first intersection.  There is no increase to 75, although that may happen after they have the opportunity to study the traffic.

None of the freeway signs make reference to I-2 being ahead.  The only Interstate signs in the plan are at intersection of Showers Road and the eastbound frontage road, which are shown as existing and to remain in place.

I'll attempt to give a link, but these ftp links often don't work.  It's a 410 MB file.  The signing layout starts on sheet 1078, PDF page 1,007.

ftp://planuser:txdotplans@plans.dot.state.tx.us/State-Let-Construction/2019/10%20October/10%20Plans/Hidalgo%200039-02-063.pdf

FTP link has been repaired.  To avoid issues with the forum software's parsing of FTP links, we suggest using ftp tags instead of url tags.  The syntax is similar but with ftp substituted for url, and in the compose window a button for "Insert FTP link" is near the button for "Insert Hyperlink."  --J N Winkler
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

Bobby5280

The current West end of I-2 terminates at Showers Road (at the current West end of the freeway). That's a pretty random place to stop signing an Interstate route at all. Signing along I-2 West of the I-69C interchange isn't the best BTW, there's hardly any reassurance I-2 shields along the freeway past the end of entrance ramps onto the freeway.

Anyway, I don't know why TX DOT wouldn't simply sign I-2 along the La Joya bypass. It would make more sense to sign it along that freeway extension rather than have all I-2 signs mysteriously disappear after the Showers Road exit.

The Ghostbuster

How long before Interstate 2 makes it all the way to Laredo? Anyone wish to hazard a guess? I'd say it will happen within 20 or 30 years.

sprjus4

sprjus4

Quote from: Bobby5280 on October 04, 2019, 12:12:40 PM
None of the curves of I-69E in Robstown look that sharp. If anything, the curve that happens just south of the TX-44 exit was smoothed out to a signficantly larger radius when the freeway upgrade was built. The milder curve dramatically altered the Southbound frontage road.
Nonetheless, it's still posted at 50 mph, though looking back at old Street View, it appears it's just a remaint from before, as that advisory speed sign was there when the curve was much sharper. Like I said, it's easy to take it at 65 mph as I've done it a few times.

https://www.google.com/maps/@27.7878097,-97.6548473,3a,75y,187.07h,81.03t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sW1YunZCmNzGlQkgf4sbocg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Verlanka

wxfree

Quote from: wxfree on October 04, 2019, 02:49:34 PM
FTP link has been repaired.  To avoid issues with the forum software's parsing of FTP links, we suggest using ftp tags instead of url tags.  The syntax is similar but with ftp substituted for url, and in the compose window a button for "Insert FTP link" is near the button for "Insert Hyperlink."  --J N Winkler

Thank you for that information.  I never looked at that button to see what it means.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

sprjus4

After reviewing the signage plans, here's a visual representation of what the speeds will be -

Red represents 70 mph
Orange represents 65 mph
Yellow represents 55 mph

Note, the yellow segment is technically posted at a 65 mph speed limit, though has a 55 mph advisory speed.

Surprised that the 90 degree curve just beyond Tom Gill Rd maintains 70 mph.

The design for the highway was also interesting. The mainlines maintain a 46 foot grassy median, which is the contrary with most other recent freeway projects in Texas that have a median barrier. Also, the segment east of the Tom Gill Rd interchange has at least a 100 foot grassy median, it significantly widens out on the curve and maintains the wide design until it reaches existing US-83. At that point, it shrinks down to a median barrier design around the 55 mph curve, but then ties directly into the 6-lane segment with median barrier.

Interestingly, that segment with the ~100 foot median also has frontage roads, so it's not like it's simply an area for future mainlines, that's a permanent feature. The bypass has a full freeway design from inception, none of that future expansion, wide median stuff.

J N Winkler

Quote from: wxfree on October 05, 2019, 11:18:06 AMThank you for that information.  I never looked at that button to see what it means.

You are welcome.  This issue has come up in the past and is part of the reason we have separate tags for FTP links.  The forum software should be handling them on the same basis as HTTP links, because both are URLs after all, but for whatever reason, it does not.  Oddly enough, the forum software will parse FTP URLs correctly for purposes of making them clickable if they appear by themselves on a single line without tags, which is what happened the last time I posted a TxDOT Plans Online URL.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

dariusb

Quote from: sprjus4 on October 03, 2019, 07:53:30 PM
Those curves don't even appear to meet a speed any higher than 55 mph. Poor design IMO.

How far westward do you think the route could ultimately go?
It's a new day for a new beginning.

abqtraveler

Quote from: dariusb on October 05, 2019, 08:51:27 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on October 03, 2019, 07:53:30 PM

How far westward do you think the route could ultimately go?
Eventually I-2 will be extended along the US-83 corridor to meet I-35 and I-69W in Laredo.  But that's decades away from being finished.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

Bobby5280

The next hurdle will be getting Future I-2 through or around Sullivan City.

If TX DOT expands the existing US-83 alignment they will have to buy and clear dozens of properties on at least one side of the road. The existing ROW thru Sullivan City is only around 220' wide. For an arrangement like the new freeway going through Falfurrias (Future I-69C), a divided freeway closely flanked by frontage roads, the ROW is 300' wide.

The alternative for getting Future I-2 past Sullivan City is going around the existing town. That could be built as a new 4 lane freeway without frontage roads on an entirely new-terrain alignment. Going around town via the South side would seen to make more sense. It can dovetail back into existing US-83 just East of Zarate Colonia. From that point on West through Alto Bonito and La Casita-Garciasville the existing US-83 route could be easily upgraded since enough ROW is already present due to partial frontage roads pushing back development.

A new terrain I-2 bypass at least 20 or so miles long would be needed starting at La Puerta to get around all the development in a large cluster of towns (Las Lomas Rio Grande City, Escobares, Roma, etc).

Getting I-2 extended from its present location to the Falcon Lake area will likely be the main priority for the next couple or so decades. IMHO, unless the federal government gets heavily involved with super highway construction again, it may be a much longer time before the segment between Lardeo down to Roma gets built, if it ever gets built. Texas is continuing to grow like crazy and has so many pressing infrastructure needs all across the state. The Rio Grande Valley is one of the fastest growing areas, but unfortunately its average income level (fairly low) and racial make-up (very Mexican) put it at a disadvantage in terms of gaining political clout.

Chris

An update, the eastern half will open in the coming weeks: https://www.krgv.com/news/u-s-83-relief-route-construction-nearing-completion

Sections of the relief route will begin to open soon, Pedraza said.

"From the Palmview connector all the way to Jarachinas Road – which is FM 2221 – the frontage road and main lanes will open,"  Pedraza said. "And then from Jarachinas Road, FM 2221 there in La Joya to Sullivan City the westbound frontage road will open."

Pedraza says the entire project will be finished in early 2024.

MaxConcrete

Status as of Friday, Nov. 17

Going westbound, main lanes are open to FM 2221. West of FM 2221 main lanes are not yet open, and traffic uses the frontage road.

Going eastbound, connection to the bypass is not open, and the frontage road is not yet open. However, pavement is all in place and remaining work is striping and signage.

The frontage road is open from FM 2221 eastward. The main lanes appear to be complete, but there is not an entrance ramp for two miles until Tom Gill Road.

The sharp curve on the east end has speed guidance of 55mph, but a passenger vehicle can drive it at 70mph (but probably not much faster to stay safe.)
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

The Ghostbuster

TheBox

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on November 19, 2023, 09:05:12 PM
Is there any Interstate 2 signage erected yet?

No AFAIK, but then again I don't live in the RGV nor did I ever visited there IRL
Wake me up when they upgrade US-290 between the state's largest city and growing capital into expressway standards if it interstate standards.

Giddings bypass, Elgin bypass, and Elgin-Manor freeway/tollway when?

sprjus4

Has there been any actual official plans of designation of I-2 along the bypass? I have yet to hear of that.

The Ghostbuster

Thegeet

Quote from: sprjus4 on November 19, 2023, 09:42:37 PM
Has there been any actual official plans of designation of I-2 along the bypass? I have yet to hear of that.
Sometimes they don't release that information until much later, nearing the designation.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.