News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Delaware

Started by Alex, February 11, 2009, 10:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: plain on September 22, 2021, 12:37:03 AM
Drainage, wetlands, and whatever natural habitat is left just east of the mall? There would have to be some real fancy flyovers here. Almost Glen Canyon like.
*shrug* wetlands disturbances can always be mitigated. I imagine the reason they're not doing anything in there is because there's not really that much demand for that land. If Wilmington was like, say, Charlotte NC, you'd see it get filled in and mitigated elsewhere.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: 74/171FAN on September 22, 2021, 03:13:28 PM
Quote from: Alps on September 22, 2021, 12:06:22 AM
Quote from: plain on September 22, 2021, 12:01:11 AM
Quote from: Alps on September 21, 2021, 11:07:24 PM
Quote from: plain on September 21, 2021, 06:18:38 PM
Yeah I would leave things exactly the way they are (of course improving I-295 and I-95 even more in the area would certainly be welcomed). I use either the all freeway route or the US 13 route, depends on the time of day and/or wether or not I want to make a stop. It's actually pretty nice to have that option there.
I would use all that swampland and build a freeway connecting DE 1 directly into I-295, bypassing the stretch of I-95.

I hope you're not serious.
Why not? An elevated freeway with minimal disturbance, a ton of unused land sitting there.

I have always thought that a US 13 freeway from DE 1 to I-495 was the best option here.

In other news: TRAFFIC ALERT - New Castle County - Delaware Memorial Bridge UHPC Project Requires Continuous Lane Closures

I remember someone...I think it was Steve Anderson...mention this year that the DRBA did that ultra-high performance overlay last year.  Honestly it was a bit of a head scratcher because the bridge is seemingly made up of nothing but patches from repair projects.  So I good a good, long look on a fairly quiet traffic day.  And couldn't find any evidence of this work.  So my next few trips, I looked again.  Looked at different lanes.  Still, nothing that shows where they put down this overlay. 

If anyone has evidence of where it was done, I'll be more than happy to see it. 

Alex4897

Quote from: 74/171FAN on September 22, 2021, 03:13:28 PM
Quote from: Alps on September 22, 2021, 12:06:22 AM
Quote from: plain on September 22, 2021, 12:01:11 AM
Quote from: Alps on September 21, 2021, 11:07:24 PM
Quote from: plain on September 21, 2021, 06:18:38 PM
Yeah I would leave things exactly the way they are (of course improving I-295 and I-95 even more in the area would certainly be welcomed). I use either the all freeway route or the US 13 route, depends on the time of day and/or wether or not I want to make a stop. It's actually pretty nice to have that option there.
I would use all that swampland and build a freeway connecting DE 1 directly into I-295, bypassing the stretch of I-95.

I hope you're not serious.
Why not? An elevated freeway with minimal disturbance, a ton of unused land sitting there.

I have always thought that a US 13 freeway from DE 1 to I-495 was the best option here.

In other news: TRAFFIC ALERT - New Castle County - Delaware Memorial Bridge UHPC Project Requires Continuous Lane Closures

I've long wondered about building some sort of viaduct structure over I-95 through the marsh in order to give it some sort of 4-3-3-4 configuration (or similar). Between I-95, I-495, I-295, DE 1, and DE 141, you've got five different freeways slamming local and regional traffic together. Traffic's going to continue to be bad through the marsh until something's done to separate and better sort the traffic flowing through the marsh.
👉😎👉

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

74/171FAN

(For DE 1) SR 1 WIDENING, ROAD A TO TYBOUTS CORNER Public Workshop

QuoteWednesday
October 27, 2021
5:00 PM to 6:00 PM

Virtual Public Workshop: Live Q&A with the Project Team

Presentation to begin at 5:00 PM.  There will be a Q&A with the project team after the presentation ends. The workshop will end when there are no further questions.

Register to participate in the virtual public workshop.

I guess that you cannot actually register yet.  All of the links go to the November 19, 2020, virtual public meeting.

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

MASTERNC

DelDOT seems to be trying to mitigate accidents on the SB I-95 curve south of US 202.  There are now flashing LEDs on the curve warning sign and flashing chevrons along the curve.

74/171FAN

bluecountry

So is the 295 SB/95 merge project done?  Seems to be.

74/171FAN

jeffandnicole

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

ixnay

Looking at the DelDOT webcams at https://deldot.gov/map/index.shtml , I see activity/equipment/coils of what looks like black electrical cables ready to be buried.  This is in the NW corner of the SR 1 & 16 intersection.  Is this an indicator of the start of prelim work re building the interchange at that junction?
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

Alex4897

Quote from: ixnay on October 27, 2021, 04:02:15 PM
Looking at the DelDOT webcams at https://deldot.gov/map/index.shtml , I see activity/equipment/coils of what looks like black electrical cables ready to be buried.  This is in the NW corner of the SR 1 & 16 intersection.  Is this an indicator of the start of prelim work re building the interchange at that junction?

Should be, the project's slated to start this fall starting with utility relocations.
https://deldot.gov/projects/index.shtml?dc=details&projectNumber=T201500301
👉😎👉

74/171FAN

Alex4897

DelDOT is suggesting replacing the DE 1 / DE 273 interchange with a SPUI. They've also included an extra signalized right turn lane coming off the DE 1 SB ramp to provide access to DE 7 SB, a feature deliberately left out in previous concepts. If built, the SPUI would be the state's first.

Workshop Presentation
👉😎👉

roadman65

I see when they redid Delaware House they replaced the guides that were Denny" s restaurant shaped signs.

Haven't been that way in over twelve years, but I always thought they were cool. You have to go back to 2008 on GSV to find crappy photos of those neat guides.  Also the ball park parking lot mast lighting poles were neat too. Now typical lighting as the LEDs provide same electrics usage as the fewer old ones that were there.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

mrcmc888

Quote from: roadman65 on November 01, 2021, 10:34:18 AM
I see when they redid Delaware House they replaced the guides that were Denny" s restaurant shaped signs.

Haven't been that way in over twelve years, but I always thought they were cool. You have to go back to 2008 on GSV to find crappy photos of those neat guides.  Also the ball park parking lot mast lighting poles were neat too. Now typical lighting as the LEDs provide same electrics usage as the fewer old ones that were there.
There seems to be a lot of unique signage in the Wilmington area that's getting replaced.  I wasn't around to see the Denny's shaped signs though since I only moved here in 2017.

cpzilliacus

Not sure what they were originally, but the shape reminded me of Sinclair Oil
signs from the 1960's (Sinclair was once quite common in the East before
selling their assets to BP).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

ixnay

Quote from: cpzilliacus on November 02, 2021, 06:43:25 PM

Not sure what they were originally, but the shape reminded me of Sinclair Oil
signs from the 1960's
(Sinclair was once quite common in the East before
selling their assets to BP).

Same here.  I do, though, remember at least one of those signs that *did* have the shape of a Denny's sign, mounted on the DE 273 overpass (after the ramp for EB/WB 273 veers off) for 95 southbounders.
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.