News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Illinois notes

Started by mgk920, September 12, 2012, 02:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sipes23

The Algonquin Bypass is finally done. It took about two years, but now that it's done it's a huge improvement for north-south traffic on IL 31.

billtm

Random question: How does I-94 in Chicago (Bishop Ford) handle traffic volumes between MM65 -MM63 (I-57 merge)? It's only 2 lanes! And it's in Chicagoland! Is it that very few cars drive on it? Or is there no space or money to widen it?  :confused:

ET21

Quote from: billtm on September 27, 2014, 09:53:07 PM
Random question: How does I-94 in Chicago (Bishop Ford) handle traffic volumes between MM65 -MM63 (I-57 merge)? It's only 2 lanes! And it's in Chicagoland! Is it that very few cars drive on it? Or is there no space or money to widen it?  :confused:

I've never had many issues going through that junction. Then again, those were during off-hours and not rush hour. What I've noticed is it depends on the rush hour. Morning is heavy towards downtown, afternoon heavy towards the burbs and Indiana. Outside of accidents, the junction is usually open unless it's in one of those specific rush hour periods.

I'm sure there's a spreadsheet of traffic volume statistics that can answer your question much better
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

billtm

Quote from: ET21 on September 27, 2014, 10:01:36 PM

I've never had many issues going through that junction. Then again, those were during off-hours and not rush hour. What I've noticed is it depends on the rush hour. Morning is heavy towards downtown, afternoon heavy towards the burbs and Indiana. Outside of accidents, the junction is usually open unless it's in one of those specific rush hour periods.

I'm sure there's a spreadsheet of traffic volume statistics that can answer your question much better

Do you know where I might be able to find area specific traffic volume statistic spreadsheets?  :hmmm:

Brandon

A good portion of the traffic splits off to Stony Island east of that point (heading northbound), and most of the traffic heading off the Ryan is going onto I-57 toward Kankakee and I-80.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

ET21

Quote from: billtm on September 27, 2014, 10:08:28 PM
Quote from: ET21 on September 27, 2014, 10:01:36 PM

Do you know where I might be able to find area specific traffic volume statistic spreadsheets?  :hmmm:

That I am unsure of. Your best bet would probably be IDOT. I've only seen traffic stats for construction projects and/or study areas
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

JoePCool14

Is it just me or does ISTHA actually seem to be improving on their signage? Take I-88 as a good example and the next exit gore signs and tabs. However every so often they have been missing a tab or two on some signs which is really frustrating. Thoughts?

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

dave069

I also have a question about I-94. I haven't been out on the Tri-State Tollway portion of I-94 in a while but I heard they were putting a fourth lane in between IL-173 and the Wisconsin border. The Tollway's page has made no mention of this however. Are they building a fourth lane on that part of I-94?

nwi_navigator_1181

From what I've read and heard, there are no plans in the immediate future for expansion of this small section of the Tri-State. The ISTHA page is very good with keeping drivers updated on the latest projects.
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

Brandon

Quote from: dave069 on October 11, 2014, 04:10:21 PM
I also have a question about I-94. I haven't been out on the Tri-State Tollway portion of I-94 in a while but I heard they were putting a fourth lane in between IL-173 and the Wisconsin border. The Tollway's page has made no mention of this however. Are they building a fourth lane on that part of I-94?

The Tri-State is four lanes all the way to Russell Road, IIRC from my trip to Appleton.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

JREwing78

Quote from: Brandon on October 11, 2014, 06:19:34 PM
Quote from: dave069 on October 11, 2014, 04:10:21 PM

The Tri-State is four lanes all the way to Russell Road, IIRC from my trip to Appleton.

Sure is (just went through last weekend). At 9pm on a Sunday night, the 55mph speed limit on that stretch is ridiculously slow; traffic flows at 75-80. The right shoulder gets sacrificed under the older bridges. A similar tactic, albeit taken to smaller extremes, is being used on I-90 between Rockford and Elgin.

Once you're over the border a few miles into Wisconsin, you'll lose lanes due to the long-term construction to widen I-94 into Milwaukee.

adventurernumber1

I have been to Chicago before (on a mission trip), and I have also seen a good bit of it on GM street view. I've always wondered, on many portions of many of Chicago's freeways, why are the broken stripes dividing travel lanes so much longer than elsewhere?

Here's an example of what I'm talking about on I-90 near the Chicago O'Hare International Airport: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.0021774,-87.886576,3a,75y,301.24h,82.98t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sg22Qubx0pDqt5ZEgnIAZVw!2e0

Here's another example on I-294 in the same area: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9627752,-87.8757061,3a,75y,27.51h,89.14t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1szyMxY7UalYF9DHv1m-E2QA!2e0

An example on I-355 in the suburb of Wheaton (I remember seeing this stretch of interstate on my mission trip; we stayed at a college in Wheaton): https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8488154,-88.0324187,3a,75y,304.12h,88.63t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1slgdXUVk7sQcT_W_EfzHQsA!2e0

And many other places
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Brandon

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on October 23, 2014, 03:26:03 PM
I have been to Chicago before (on a mission trip), and I have also seen a good bit of it on GM street view. I've always wondered, on many portions of many of Chicago's freeways, why are the broken stripes dividing travel lanes so much longer than elsewhere?

Here's an example of what I'm talking about on I-90 near the Chicago O'Hare International Airport: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.0021774,-87.886576,3a,75y,301.24h,82.98t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sg22Qubx0pDqt5ZEgnIAZVw!2e0

Here's another example on I-294 in the same area: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9627752,-87.8757061,3a,75y,27.51h,89.14t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1szyMxY7UalYF9DHv1m-E2QA!2e0

An example on I-355 in the suburb of Wheaton (I remember seeing this stretch of interstate on my mission trip; we stayed at a college in Wheaton): https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8488154,-88.0324187,3a,75y,304.12h,88.63t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1slgdXUVk7sQcT_W_EfzHQsA!2e0

And many other places

The Illinois State Toll Highway Authority (ISTHA, not to be confused with IDOT - they are separate) uses the longer lane lines (3:3 ratio - 3ft of line, 3ft of space).  The New Jersey Turnpike does the same thing.  I believe both ISTHA and NJTP do this for visibility purposes.  Personally, I like them much better than the more typical 3:1 ratio used for lane lines (1ft of stripe, 3 ft of space).

adventurernumber1

That makes sense, and I have thought about that Ive seen this striping style on the toll roads in Chicago, and I also have seen these long broken stripes on the NJ Turnpike from videos/pics and the sort. I personally like both striping styles, but I'm less used to the longer stripes due to my location. But thanks for the info, Brandon!
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

SEWIGuy

The Northwest Tollway expansion is basically done heading westbound.  That is going to be REALLY nice when 100% complete.

Brandon

Quote from: SEWIGuy on November 14, 2014, 02:26:23 PM
The Northwest Tollway expansion is basically done heading westbound.  That is going to be REALLY nice when 100% complete.

They need to get rid of the fucking 45 and 55 mph signs if they're not working on a section.  No one pays any heed to it as the rule of "follow the signs 24/7" cheapens the meaning of them.

silverback1065

Quote from: Brandon on November 14, 2014, 03:51:21 PM

They need to get rid of the fucking 45 and 55 mph signs if they're not working on a section.  No one pays any heed to it as the rule of "follow the signs 24/7" cheapens the meaning of them.

Especially the ones that claim they are photo enforced, I know for a fact that most of them are bs.

Brandon

Quote from: silverback1065 on November 14, 2014, 04:36:05 PM
Quote from: Brandon on November 14, 2014, 03:51:21 PM

Especially the ones that claim they are photo enforced, I know for a fact that most of them are bs.

I've seen a grand total of one photo van since 2008, and that was being used on I-80 a few weeks ago.

This one was parked, not taking pictures at the time.

Revive 755

There's an article on the website for the Rockford paper regarding the number of trucks on I-39.  Link

silverback1065

Why does US 51 multiplex with I-39 when SR 251 parallels it?  I'm assuming 251 is old 51, why not keep 51 on it's old alignment and never have a 251 at all?

Brandon

Quote from: silverback1065 on November 16, 2014, 04:30:08 PM
Why does US 51 multiplex with I-39 when SR 251 parallels it?  I'm assuming 251 is old 51, why not keep 51 on it's old alignment and never have a 251 at all?

Because I-39 was originally built as US-51.  I-39 was later added to it.

SSOWorld

A common rule about U.S. routes - once on a freeway it stays on a freeway.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

NE2

Quote from: SSOWorld on November 19, 2014, 09:27:58 PM
A common rule about U.S. routes - once on a freeway it stays on a freeway.
AASHTO rule that states have ignored. Most recently, NCDOT moved US 220 off I-73/74, replacing US 220 Alt.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Revive 755

Exhibits from a recent public meeting for the Alton-Godfrey Connector are up (Link (click on the 'Get Involved' tab)

* Looks like all of the alternatives still under consideration remove the current grade separation between US 67 and IL 3, and replace it with a new signalized intersection slightly to the north, at the cost of several businesses.

* Appears that Alton Square Mall Drive (which appears to become part of the new corridor in all but Alternative 12-3)  would gain an overpass at Oakwood Avenue.

* Alternative 6 (which I would not expect to survive given the long structure in the middle of the corridor) features a new interchange where Wenzel Road crosses IL 255.

(Edited to fix bad link)

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.