News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Illinois notes

Started by mgk920, September 12, 2012, 02:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johndoe780

Quote from: quickshade on November 19, 2016, 03:26:46 PM
Quote from: johndoe780 on November 19, 2016, 02:45:08 PM
Quote from: Brandon on November 19, 2016, 02:29:43 PM
Quote from: johndoe780 on November 19, 2016, 02:26:05 PM
Is there a reason why IDOT doesn't use LED lights?

IDOT's behind the times as usual.  Do I really need to say more?  :pan:

Isn't there some agreement that IDOT has to start transitioning to LED lights for more federal funds?

I imagine there's some grant money for LED lights.

I also thought I read somewhere that IDOT started putting LED lights in starting 2012 or 2013.

As of last year, they were still in phase 2 of the design and study of LED lighting. This includes things like retrofit cost, LED lifetime, the next advancement of LED lights and other possible lighting solutions plus maintenance, contractors, light pollution, etc. Basically a whole study on stuff that the tollway could have already told them about (why don't they ever work jointly on these studies) but IDOT felt it best to do on its own.

I'd make the suggestion that some lightbulb changing union see's LED as a loss in their jobs (10-15 year bulbs compared to 2 currently) and they are protesting against it.

Phase 2 out of how many studies and when's the projected completion date?

Doubt it'd get anywhere. Going from a lifespan of 5 years to 15-20 years isn't going to "kill jobs."

I also read somewhere that IDOT saved 60 million on union costs somewhere. Link to the unions protesting? Doubt it'd get far, especially with Rauner as governor.

Rick Powell

There are some IDOT projects that are being designed with LED lights...like the IL 178 over the Illinois River in Utica, which will have LED pedestrian and roadway lighting.

ChiMilNet

Quote from: Rick Powell on November 19, 2016, 09:34:51 PM

There are some IDOT projects that are being designed with LED lights...like the IL 178 over the Illinois River in Utica, which will have LED pedestrian and roadway lighting.

The only use of LED lighting I've seen on IDOT maintained roadways/highways seems to be more related to local municipalities. For example, some of the roadways in Naperville have LED lighting, and some are IDOT maintained I believe. However, I am certain it is more something to do with Naperville than IDOT.

I-39

I just saw LED lights at the weight station on I-74 between Bloomington and IL-117

ChiMilNet

Quote from: I-39 on November 23, 2016, 10:22:24 PM
I just saw LED lights at the weight station on I-74 between Bloomington and IL-117

I just am baffled that IDOT doesn't use them in conjunction with the Tollway at the applicable interchanges, but they use them at a weigh station downstate. Again, the contrast of lighting on new interchanges on I-90 and IL 390 just seems odd. Or how about on the Manheim Road reconstruction near O'Hare, the City of Chicago controlled portions of the roadways over there all received upgrading to LED lighting, so one would think IDOT would better coordinate and follow suit.

quickshade

Quote from: ChiMilNet on November 25, 2016, 09:48:00 AM

I just am baffled that IDOT doesn't use them in conjunction with the Tollway at the applicable interchanges, but they use them at a weigh station downstate. Again, the contrast of lighting on new interchanges on I-90 and IL 390 just seems odd. Or how about on the Manheim Road reconstruction near O'Hare, the City of Chicago controlled portions of the roadways over there all received upgrading to LED lighting, so one would think IDOT would better coordinate and follow suit.

The tollway stopped trying to coordinate because it took to long to get answers and IDOT always tried to take the lead on projects without having any kind of proper funding to accomplish them. When the I90 rebuild was first getting started a rebuild of the 53 interchange was looked at with the tollway willing to throw money at the project to cut down on the congestion. But politics downstate kept interfering with the project.

Brandon

Quote from: quickshade on November 25, 2016, 11:02:42 AM

The tollway stopped trying to coordinate because it took to long to get answers and IDOT always tried to take the lead on projects without having any kind of proper funding to accomplish them. When the I90 rebuild was first getting started a rebuild of the 53 interchange was looked at with the tollway willing to throw money at the project to cut down on the congestion. But politics downstate kept interfering with the project.

Exactly my case for why every freeway in the state should be simply turned over or sold to ISTHA.  IDOT can be a real bear to deal with, even for municipalities and counties.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

I-39

Quote from: Brandon on November 25, 2016, 11:14:45 AM

Exactly my case for why every freeway in the state should be simply turned over or sold to ISTHA.  IDOT can be a real bear to deal with, even for municipalities and counties.

Well, now that the constitutional amendment has been passed that bars gas tax money from being used on anything but it's intended purpose, IDOT doesn't need to worry about funding raids anymore. Maybe this will compel them to reform themselves, catch up and start cooperating more.

I know, wishful thinking............

ChiMilNet

Quote from: I-39 on November 25, 2016, 03:27:02 PM

Well, now that the constitutional amendment has been passed that bars gas tax money from being used on anything but it's intended purpose, IDOT doesn't need to worry about funding raids anymore. Maybe this will compel them to reform themselves, catch up and start cooperating more.

It probably is a pipe dream to think that IDOT will actually catch up with the times and get a clue with the other agencies in IL. Although, I never could understand how gas tax would have been funneled anywhere but transportation and infrastructure projects.

I do recall a similar measure passed in MO some years ago when I was in college there, and it did result in a slew of much needed projects at that time (of course MoDOT now has no money for anything).

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: I-39 on November 25, 2016, 03:27:02 PM

IDOT needs to go all it for the I-294 rebuild with I-290 ramps and other local roads.

US 41

Does anyone know if they are finished with the 6 laning of I-70 and I-57 in Effingham yet? It seems like they have taken their sweet time on that project. I used to drive over there once a month to check out the construction, but I stopped because the cnstruction was taking so long and it didn't ever seem like very much progress was made. 
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

Great Lakes Roads

Quote from: US 41 on November 26, 2016, 06:38:35 PM
Does anyone know if they are finished with the 6 laning of I-70 and I-57 in Effingham yet? It seems like they have taken their sweet time on that project. I used to drive over there once a month to check out the construction, but I stopped because the cnstruction was taking so long and it didn't ever seem like very much progress was made. 

Yes, IDOT got done with that project.
Here is a YouTube video on it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kJhf2elWYk

Revive 755

I just am baffled that IDOT doesn't use them in conjunction with the Tollway at the applicable interchanges, but they use them at a weigh station downstate.

It is my understanding that lighting is controlled at the District level in IDOT, similar to traffic signal design.

Rick Powell

Quote from: Revive 755 on November 26, 2016, 07:04:40 PM

I just am baffled that IDOT doesn't use them in conjunction with the Tollway at the applicable interchanges, but they use them at a weigh station downstate.

It is my understanding that lighting is controlled at the District level in IDOT, similar to traffic signal design.

Yes, but with substantial input from the Electrical unit in Springfield. They are starting to use more and more LED lighting on projects, and may show up in the next few years of projects where lighting is involved.

johndoe780

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on November 26, 2016, 06:46:40 PM
Quote from: US 41 on November 26, 2016, 06:38:35 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kJhf2elWYk

I like how they used concrete (well, for the majority of it.) IMO, portland concrete > asphalt

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on November 26, 2016, 06:46:40 PM

I noticed that both the north and south junctions of I-57 and I-70 have a "three-level" bridge, that is, there is a place where three roadways intersect, with a bridge over a bridge over a road. I would have thought that that is an inefficient design, and that the crossover points would be better if they were more spread out. Does anyone know anything about this sort of thing?
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Revive 755

^ I know it seems to have been popular downstate, as the two interchanges at the ends of the I-57/I-64 multiplex and I-55 at I-155 are fairly similar in design.

US 41

Thanks. It's about time they finished that project. And yes I agree that concrete is better than black top. The black top just seems to always break apart after 2 or 3 years. The concrete seems to be good for 30 years.  :biggrin:
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

Rick Powell

Dan Ryan to Ike flyover ramp likely to open next month. Progress pic.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BNXuK-lgD-t/

johndoe780

Quote from: Rick Powell on November 30, 2016, 01:43:51 AM

then what's left for the eta completion to be 2018?

ET21

Quote from: johndoe780 on November 30, 2016, 09:07:17 AM

That and a complete resurfacing of Congress/290 pavement (pavement done by summer 18)
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

johndoe780

Quote from: ET21 on November 30, 2016, 10:15:40 AM

That and a complete resurfacing of Congress/290 pavement (pavement done by summer 18)

2 years? they resurfaced all of eisenhower in one summer back in 2009 or 2010.

ET21

Quote from: johndoe780 on November 30, 2016, 12:55:52 PM
Quote from: ET21 on November 30, 2016, 10:15:40 AM

2 years? they resurfaced all of eisenhower in one summer back in 2009 or 2010.

"This next step of the Jane Byrne Interchange project will focus on bridge work and pavement reconstruction on the westbound Eisenhower Expressway from the Post Office to Racine Avenue. The project improves traffic flow and safety, as well as connects the new flyover bridge from the inbound Dan Ryan Expressway (I-90/94) to the westbound Eisenhower. These improvements are expected to be completed in Summer 2018."

I mean I agree, 2 years for such a small section is long. But I think "bridge work" means a full reconstruction of the mainline 290/Congress bridge over the Kennedy/Ryan
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

inkyatari

Seems to me that, as a 48 year old, I can't recall a time when the Byrne interchange WASN'T under construction.

Granted I don't get into the city as often as I probably should, but as my broadcasting professor once said "Perception is your reality."
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

ILRoad55

Aren't they actually redoing every bridge on the interchange?

Edit: Well it looks like they are aiming for the flyover ramp to open this weekend. http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/flyover-ramp-opens-sunday-at-jane-byrne-interchange/

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.