News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Illinois notes

Started by mgk920, September 12, 2012, 02:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgk920

Quote from: adt1982 on June 01, 2017, 10:16:15 PM
Representatives from Jackson, Randolph, Perry, and Monroe Counties want a 4-lane route from Murphysboro to Saint Louis.

http://countyjournal.org/coalition-aiming-to-bring-fourlane-connection-between-the-area-and-st-lou-p1450-177.htm#.WTA5uJxPeM4.facebook

Is this an unbuilt, originally proposed section of I-24?

Mike

quickshade

Quote from: mgk920 on June 01, 2017, 11:40:02 PM
Representatives from Jackson, Randolph, Perry, and Monroe Counties want a 4-lane route from Murphysboro to Saint Louis.

http://countyjournal.org/coalition-aiming-to-bring-fourlane-connection-between-the-area-and-st-lou-p1450-177.htm#.WTA5uJxPeM4.facebook

Mike

Tell them to get a state budget and increased road funding, then we can talk about IDOT wish lists. Or did they skip the part where the state has an 8 year backlog of projects??

mgk920

Quote from: quickshade on June 01, 2017, 11:55:04 PM

Mike

Tell them to get a state budget and increased road funding, then we can talk about IDOT wish lists. Or did they skip the part where the state has an 8 year backlog of projects??

Also, a couple of days ago, Moodys and S&P both downgraded the State of Illinois' bond rating to one step above 'junk'.  IIRC, this is the lowest ever for a USA state.

:wow:

Mike

I-39

Quote from: quickshade on June 01, 2017, 11:55:04 PM

Mike

I think 8 years is generous, it's more like 15.......

Revive 755

Mike

While it probably would have gotten designated as part of I-24 had it been built, it seems this corridor was just originally proposed as a supplemental freeway.  See http://www.midwestroads.com/illinois/il%20supp%20fwy.pdf

ilpt4u

Posting from Murphysboro as we speak, this would be beneficial to link the Carbondale/Marion area much better and more directly to STL. IL-127 already serves this purpose, but a 4 lane divided hwy, with a Pinckneyville and Nashville bypass, in addition to Grade Separation for the train route in Pinckneyville, would help. Current IL-127 is mostly 2-lane until you approach Murphysboro, where it grows to 4 Lanes, joins IL-13, and IL-13 is at least 4 lane thru Murphysboro and Carbondale over to Marion  (where it has a Southern IL SPUI with I-57)

Waiting for a long train on IL-127 in Pinckneyville is a major PITA, as there is no good way around it for miles

If you threw in Bypasses of the west side of Marion and of Carbondale, this could be an I-24 extension/completion, if built full freeway. And that would take truck traffic off I-57 between I-24 and I-64

Being picky, and I am a relative new comer to posting @ aaroads, but since this is a Southern IL proposal, is this not a better fit for the "Ohio Valley" board?

Revive 755

The ramp from southbound I-39 to westbound I-88 is currently closed for what appears to be a complete rebuild from the subgrade and up.  As part of the detour signage there is one black on orange sign with a curly arrow that depicts the detour via three of the loop ramps at that interchange.

JREwing78

Quote from: Revive 755 on June 03, 2017, 09:09:20 PM
The ramp from southbound I-39 to westbound I-88 is currently closed for what appears to be a complete rebuild from the subgrade and up.  As part of the detour signage there is one black on orange sign with a curly arrow that depicts the detour via three of the loop ramps at that interchange.
I wonder how often one of those ramps will get closed for a semi that couldn't keep itself on its wheels...

ET21

Been like that for much of the Spring. I think all the ramps will be getting this treatment over time
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Brandon

Quote from: ET21 on June 09, 2017, 09:47:29 AM

Been like that for much of the Spring. I think all the ramps will be getting this treatment over time

I'm not so sure.  They've only removed the portion of the curve into I-88.  The rest of the ramp is has merely been repaved.  I'm guessing that this section has an issue with the base.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

ET21

Quote from: Brandon on June 09, 2017, 12:54:39 PM
Quote from: ET21 on June 09, 2017, 09:47:29 AM

I'm not so sure.  They've only removed the portion of the curve into I-88.  The rest of the ramp is has merely been repaved.  I'm guessing that this section has an issue with the base.

They redid I-39 over the past 2 summers, so I just assumed they were doing all the ramps as part of that project

Clinched:

hobsini2

Quote from: Brandon on May 31, 2017, 10:14:00 PM
Quote from: I-39 on May 31, 2017, 09:22:29 PM
Quote from: Rick Powell on May 31, 2017, 07:00:29 PM
New IDOT 2018-2023 program is posted at their website.

http://www.idot.illinois.gov/Assets/uploads/files/Transportation-System/Reports/OP&P/HIP/2018-2023/2018-23%20MYP%20Book.pdf

How many of these projects are actually going to get done? It seems there has been a lot of the same projects on here for the last few years and they keep getting pushed back. Things like the I-55/72 widening and the I-57/74 interchange reconstruction need to happen now.

As long as we lack a budget (thanks Madigan!), IDOT won't do as much.
And Brucey being just as stubborn. Let's be real now. They both are acting like bastards.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

I-39

Quote from: hobsini2 on June 12, 2017, 07:49:03 AM

http://www.idot.illinois.gov/Assets/uploads/files/Transportation-System/Reports/OP&P/HIP/2018-2023/2018-23%20MYP%20Book.pdf

How many of these projects are actually going to get done? It seems there has been a lot of the same projects on here for the last few years and they keep getting pushed back. Things like the I-55/72 widening and the I-57/74 interchange reconstruction need to happen now.

And Brucey being just as stubborn. Let's be real now. They both are acting like bastards.

Well, Brucey is not just rolling over and giving Madigan whatever he wants like every other Governor (from both sides) did before. He is actually trying to implement some fundamental reforms (term limits, redistricting reform, etc) first, but Madigan doesn't want that because he wants to hold on to power forever.

Both parties are responsible for the mess Illinois is in, so it's high time for someone to stand up and try to reform things. Right now, the only person whom I see who is attempting to fix the real issues is Brucey...........

inkyatari

Just got done with riding Bike MS : Tour De Farms over the weekend, and something that always perplexed me regarding the DeKalb area is, how come I-88 has an exit at Annie Glidden road, Peace Road, but not route 23? I understand Annie Glidden road, as that's a direct route to Northern Illinois University, but Route 23 is a direct route to downtown DeKalb.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: I-39 on June 12, 2017, 07:21:39 PM

Well, Brucey is not just rolling over and giving Madigan whatever he wants like every other Governor (from both sides) did before. He is actually trying to implement some fundamental reforms (term limits, redistricting reform, etc) first, but Madigan doesn't want that because he wants to hold on to power forever.

Both parties are responsible for the mess Illinois is in, so it's high time for someone to stand up and try to reform things. Right now, the only person whom I see who is attempting to fix the real issues is Brucey...........

During every state election in the foreseeable future, my intent is to vote out every incumbent candidate until we have a state again.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

ET21

Quote from: inkyatari on June 13, 2017, 10:01:47 AM
Just got done with riding Bike MS : Tour De Farms over the weekend, and something that always perplexed me regarding the DeKalb area is, how come I-88 has an exit at Annie Glidden road, Peace Road, but not route 23? I understand Annie Glidden road, as that's a direct route to Northern Illinois University, but Route 23 is a direct route to downtown DeKalb.

When you have Peace and Annie the same distance apart from 23, there really isn't a point. Just use Fairview to access it

Clinched:

I-39

Quote from: paulthemapguy on June 13, 2017, 11:49:33 AM
Quote from: I-39 on June 12, 2017, 07:21:39 PM

During every state election in the foreseeable future, my intent is to vote out every incumbent candidate until we have a state again.

If I still lived in Illinois, I'd do the same. Here in Tennessee, things are the opposite. We actually have a booming economy (well, at least in the Nashville/Middle Tennessee area). It was hard to leave my home state, but things just got too bad to stay.

I-39

Quote from: ET21 on June 13, 2017, 07:07:49 PM

When you have Peace and Annie the same distance apart from 23, there really isn't a point. Just use Fairview to access it

^ This

Additionally, there really isn't any room with the Dekalb Oasis to the east.

inkyatari

Quote from: I-39 on June 13, 2017, 09:43:29 PM
Quote from: ET21 on June 13, 2017, 07:07:49 PM

^ This

Additionally, there really isn't any room with the Dekalb Oasis to the east.

Just seems to me that when they were planning the tollway through there that the route that connects two larger areas, in this case Ottawa and DeKalb, would have taken priority over two roads that end either at or near the tollway.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

Revive 755

^ At least to the north of I-88 Peace Road is the better route for through traffic since it bypasses both downtown DeKalb and downtown Sycamore and is grade separated with the busy Union Pacific main line.

I'm going to wildly speculate that IL 23 did not get an interchange because DeKalb wanted two interchanges instead of one, or there was some plan that did not come to be that had IL 23 being rerouted to use Peace Road.

ilpt4u

If memory serves, Peace Road was originally either only a Half Interchange, and/or it was no Interchange and added later?

Annie Glidden may have been the only DeKalb exit for a time

That said, why does NIU get its own Interstate exit? I guess ISU, UIUC, and UIC have them too...but the IL Interstates only kinda got close to EIU and SIU, while WIU is out there in the Interstate-less haven of West/Central IL (tho it does have the "created" IL/MO-110 CKC Expressway, even if the Macomb bypass isn't in action just yet)

GeekJedi

Quote from: ilpt4u on June 14, 2017, 07:22:28 PM
If memory serves, Peace Road was originally either only a Half Interchange, and/or it was no Interchange and added later?

That said, why does NIU get its own Interstate exit? I guess ISU, UIUC, and UIC have them too...but the IL Interstates only kinda got close to EIU and SIU, while WIU is out there in the Interstate-less haven of West/Central IL (tho it does have the "created" IL/MO-110 KCK Expressway, even if the Macomb bypass isn't in action just yet)

You are correct. I lived in Dekalb in the mid 90's and Peace Rd. was an EB exit and WB entrance only. I believe the full interchange came to be after there was talk about building a mall near Peace and Fairview Roads, if I remember right.
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

ilpt4u

Quote from: GeekJedi on June 14, 2017, 07:35:06 PM
You are correct. I lived in Dekalb in the mid 90's and Peace Rd. was an EB exit and WB entrance only. I believe the full interchange came to be after there was talk about building a mall near Peace and Fairview Roads, if I remember right.
EB Exit/WB Entrance would be movements facing the DeKalb toll plaza, which used to be in the middle of the Annie Glidden Interchange (it has since moved west, between DeKalb and I-39)

That way, the Tollway didn't have to put toll collection facilities at the exit. But automated coin buckets, and then I-Pass, makes it easier to add toll collection at exits these days

ET21

Quote from: ilpt4u on June 14, 2017, 07:22:28 PM

That said, why does NIU get its own Interstate exit? I guess ISU, UIUC, and UIC have them too...but the IL Interstates only kinda got close to EIU and SIU, while WIU is out there in the Interstate-less haven of West/Central IL (tho it does have the "created" IL/MO-110 KCK Expressway, even if the Macomb bypass isn't in action just yet)

That mall plan ended up turning into a major trucking port. The southeast side of DeKalb is big warehouses and trucking depots for Nestle, 3M, and UPS. The area is called Park 88

Clinched:

Revive 755

Older aerial imagery of the Peace Road interchange is it as a half diamond with ramps to/from the east, with the loops being added later for access to/from the west.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.