News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Illinois notes

Started by mgk920, September 12, 2012, 02:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revive 755

Quote from: I-39 on August 12, 2017, 08:36:14 PM
Do the traffic counts along IL-29 really justify 4 lanes? I don't think so.

Disagree - there's enough ADT to warrant four lanes up to Sparland.

Brandon

Quote from: Revive 755 on August 13, 2017, 09:51:29 PM

If connected to I-180, then it may induce some demand as well.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

SSOWorld

Quote from: Brandon on August 13, 2017, 10:21:23 PM
Quote from: Revive 755 on August 13, 2017, 09:51:29 PM

If connected to I-180, then it may induce some demand as well.
For both it and I-180
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

mgk920

What's the latest on the Illinois license plate saga?  I have not yet seen nor heard of any new-design plates with numbers above the [AP xxxxx] range, which have been on the road for at least a couple of months now, while I also have similarly not seen nor heard of any new old-design plates below about [ZV xxxxx], which have also been on the road for a couple of months now.

Mike

machias

Quote from: mgk920 on August 14, 2017, 11:50:50 PM
What's the latest on the Illinois license plate saga?  I have not yet seen nor heard of any new-design plates with numbers above the [AP xxxxx] range, which have been on the road for at least a couple of months now, while I also have similarly not seen nor heard of any new old-design plates below about [ZV xxxxx], which have also been on the road for a couple of months now.

Mike

I registered two vehicles in Illinois two weeks ago. Both are in the AP 61xxx series.

adt1982

I have seen a good chunk of AB ##### and AC ##### plates that have July or August 18 expiration stickers here in Montgomery County.  I had not seen any up until recently.

mgk920

Mike

I did see an Illinois old-design plate with [ZUx xxxx] here in Appleton, WI yesterday, too.

Mike

adt1982

Quote from: mgk920 on August 16, 2017, 04:07:53 PM

Mike

I did see an Illinois old-design plate with [ZUx xxxx] here in Appleton, WI yesterday, too.

Mike

Once they ran out of Z## #### they went to ZZ# ####, then ZY, ZX, and ZU.  I don't believe I have seen any ZW.  They used these on the old base until the new base came out.

captkirk_4

Well, if ever they needed I-39 to be finished down to southern IL it was yesterday. It was the worst traffic I've ever seen in my life, worse than any Chicago Expressway. The entire road network south of I-64 was a parking lot. Going down US 51 those towns south of I64 had their act together, they had police directing traffic at the intersections in the small towns waving the columns through. Coming back up on the eastern side of the state was a different story. I-57 was completely stopped and had a 15 mile 3 lane backup into Carbondale waiting to get on. Tried US45 and route 1 and there was a half hour 5 mile backup at every single small town south of I-64. Unlike US 51 these places like Eldorado, Carmi, Crossville made no attempt to have any police (do they even have a police force?) to wave the traffic through red lights, instead the entire 5 mile column had to wait every other minute at a red light in some empty town where absolutely no cross-traffic was there to even need the light. 8 hour drive from Carbondale to Champaign 6 hours of which were just to get up to I-64. Once IL 130 branched off the traffic ended altough I saw I57 at Tuscola at 9pm and it was packed and only moving at around 45 50mph. Massive Wisconsin presence from all their plates I saw in Carbondale so have no clue as to how long it took them to get home.

inkyatari

Was there ever talk of tolling the section of I-88 between the Quad Cities and Sterling / Rock Falls?
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

Brandon

Quote from: inkyatari on August 22, 2017, 09:50:49 AM
Was there ever talk of tolling the section of I-88 between the Quad Cities and Sterling / Rock Falls?

Not to my knowledge.  I've often wondered why ISTHA stopped at US-30 in Rock Falls with IDOT continuing the corridor to I-80.  A short route to Iowa would've been straight to Clinton, but I don't know if there were ever any plans for it.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

ilpt4u

Quote from: Brandon on August 22, 2017, 11:55:57 AM
Not to my knowledge.  I've often wondered why ISTHA stopped at US-30 in Rock Falls with IDOT continuing the corridor to I-80.  A short route to Iowa would've been straight to Clinton, but I don't know if there were ever any plans for it.
I'm pretty sure someone posted an old map somewhere on this site that showed a spur route that departed mainline I-88/previously IL 5 and headed for Clinton, IA

Found a copy

Sourced from interstate-guide.com's page on I-88 (Western/IL)

ilpt4u

Quote from: captkirk_4 on August 22, 2017, 09:12:23 AM
Well, if ever they needed I-39 to be finished down to southern IL it was yesterday. It was the worst traffic I've ever seen in my life, worse than any Chicago Expressway. The entire road network south of I-64 was a parking lot. Going down US 51 those towns south of I64 had their act together, they had police directing traffic at the intersections in the small towns waving the columns through. Coming back up on the eastern side of the state was a different story. I-57 was completely stopped and had a 15 mile 3 lane backup into Carbondale waiting to get on. Tried US45 and route 1 and there was a half hour 5 mile backup at every single small town south of I-64. Unlike US 51 these places like Eldorado, Carmi, Crossville made no attempt to have any police (do they even have a police force?) to wave the traffic through red lights, instead the entire 5 mile column had to wait every other minute at a red light in some empty town where absolutely no cross-traffic was there to even need the light. 8 hour drive from Carbondale to Champaign 6 hours of which were just to get up to I-64. Once IL 130 branched off the traffic ended altough I saw I57 at Tuscola at 9pm and it was packed and only moving at around 45 50mph. Massive Wisconsin presence from all their plates I saw in Carbondale so have no clue as to how long it took them to get home.
Not to be the bad guy, but really, this is better for the Ohio Valley board, which is better suited for Southern IL than the Great Lakes

That being said, there were a lot of people in Carbondale and Jackson County this weekend, and I heard the roads were pretty bad. But I live down here now, so no need to drive back North. Don't know how long it took my brother to get back home (he drove, lives Downtown)

Amtrak did run an additional train for the eclipse, I believe, and the regularly scheduled 4:30 pm-ish Carbondale-Chicago run had extra cars yesterday, as well. From the lines at the Carbondale Amtrak station (which really needs replaced, but it didn't make it into the current round of Downtown Carbondale rebuilding), there were a lot of people taking the Train option as well as Roads

dcharlie

Quote from: ilpt4u on August 22, 2017, 01:46:03 PM
Quote from: Brandon on August 22, 2017, 11:55:57 AM
I'm pretty sure someone posted an old map somewhere on this site that showed a spur route that departed mainline I-88/previously IL 5 and headed for Clinton, IA

Found a copy

Sourced from interstate-guide.com's page on I-88 (Western/IL)

It's not exactly the spur shown in the map, but I did find this... 

http://www.idot.illinois.gov/Assets/uploads/IDOT-Projects/District-2/US-30-Fulton-to-Rock-Falls/files/US_30_Six_Alignment_Report%5B1%5D.pdf

inkyatari

I want to think I've seen the route to Clinton on an old IDOT planning document...

ChiMilNet

Quote from: ilpt4u on August 22, 2017, 01:58:10 PM
Quote from: captkirk_4 on August 22, 2017, 09:12:23 AM
Not to be the bad guy, but really, this is better for the Ohio Valley board, which is better suited for Southern IL than the Great Lakes

That being said, there were a lot of people in Carbondale and Jackson County this weekend, and I heard the roads were pretty bad. But I live down here now, so no need to drive back North. Don't know how long it took my brother to get back home (he drove, lives Downtown)

Amtrak did run an additional train for the eclipse, I believe, and the regularly scheduled 4:30 pm-ish Carbondale-Chicago run had extra cars yesterday, as well. From the lines at the Carbondale Amtrak station (which really needs replaced, but it didn't make it into the current round of Downtown Carbondale rebuilding), there were a lot of people taking the Train option as well as Roads

I only am commenting on this in this thread since it's been started and did have an effect on Chicago bound traffic. However, U.S. 51 through Southern and Central IL was a life saver for me coming back to Chicago from the Eclipse. I was a little South of St. Louis where I viewed it, which I made it a point to bolt from there as soon as totality ended. The trick was to detour off main roads where needed, but essentially, I-70 East from St. Louis was fine, which I took to U.S. 51 and took that up to Decatur, then I-72 over to I-57, got off at Rantoul to avoid the backup just past there, and then got back on after it cleared using some side roads. In all, it took about 7 hours I was coming into the city on the Dan Ryan, which, based on stories I heard, was not bad at all. The point is that U.S. 51 definitely would have been a good candidate for an interstate yesterday. Although, even just extending the four-lane section South to at least I-64 or near Carbondale would have helped alleviate traffic. Ironically, though, the fact that it is just two lanes as you go South is what I think kept a lot of the traffic off of it.

ilpt4u

US 51 isn't a bad route. I've made the drive between Carbondale and Bloomington/Normal a few times -- sure you end up going thru towns like Du Quoin and Centralia and Vandalia, but its a pretty nice ride, I think

That said, I would love I-39 to make it to at least Salem, IL -- I think it would be much harder to justify it all the way down to Dongola (Current US 51/I-57 junction) or Pulleys Mill (Current I-57/I-24 Junction) -- as I-39 would be closely paralleling I-57 only ~20 miles west between Salem and Dongola

For Regional traffic, usually upgrades more to IL 127 or IL 3 are wanted, to get a Carbondale-St Louis Expressway of some sort -- Interstate would be nice, but even 4 Lane Divided Highway Expressway would be ok

Revive 755

There's at least one surviving street blade on IL 40 for "SH" 88:
Blurry streetview

Also, from recent travels parts of Old US 66 around Litchfield appear to have gotten the typical Illinois county mile markers with a route number of 934.

Rick Powell

Found a copy

The US 30 study between Fulton and Sterling/Rock Falls, with the Morrison bypass, was recently cancelled by IDOT. This was a route that was on the IL Supplemental Freeway plan of the late 60's and had been in some form of planning ever since.

http://wqad.com/2017/03/15/idot-to-discuss-decision-to-scrap-major-renovation-on-u-s-route-30/

inkyatari

Quote from: Rick Powell on August 23, 2017, 03:18:00 PM

Found a copy

The US 30 study between Fulton and Sterling/Rock Falls, with the Morrison bypass, was recently cancelled by IDOT. This was a route that was on the IL Supplemental Freeway plan of the late 60's and had been in some form of planning ever since.

http://wqad.com/2017/03/15/idot-to-discuss-decision-to-scrap-major-renovation-on-u-s-route-30/

Do you have that 60's doc?  I was trying to google it, but came up empty.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: Revive 755 on August 22, 2017, 10:33:17 PM
There's at least one surviving street blade on IL 40 for "SH" 88:
Blurry streetview

Also, from recent travels parts of Old US 66 around Litchfield appear to have gotten the typical Illinois county mile markers with a route number of 934.

I think Stark County has a bunch of those. 

Two old IL-88 shields are posted on the interior walls of Tanner's Apple Orchard, at the southeast corner of IL-17 and IL-40.  I know I posted it somewhere before, but here's a photo of it

IL-088 by Paul Drives, on Flickr
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Lyon Wonder

IMO, IL-88 wouldn't have needed to be renumbered had the IL-5 freeway/tollway been signed as I-82 instead of I-88.  IL-82 is nearby too, though it doesn't actually intersect the interstate and has far fewer miles than IL-88/IL-40.  Not to mention I-88 would be the perfect number for an interstate upgrade of US 20 between Sioux City and Rockford.

ilpt4u

Quote from: Lyon Wonder on August 24, 2017, 10:38:54 PM
IMO, IL-88 wouldn't have needed to be renumbered had the IL-5 freeway/tollway been signed as I-82 instead of I-88.  IL-82 is nearby too, though it doesn't actually intersect the interstate and has far fewer miles than IL-88/IL-40.  Not to mention I-88 would be the perfect number for an interstate upgrade of US 20 between Sioux City and Rockford.
Getting fictional...

Dump I-88. Sign it (even)80, maybe I-880. Take over I-294 south of the Strangler junction to come back to I-80. The Tri-State north of there can be (odd)94, perhaps I-194, up to I-94

inkyatari

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.