News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Illinois notes

Started by mgk920, September 12, 2012, 02:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Powell

Quote from: inkyatari on October 18, 2017, 10:05:45 AM
Quote from: ET21 on October 17, 2017, 12:35:36 PM
Cicero Ave bridge over the Cal Sag River will be closed until The Last Jedi Day (December 15th) for emergency repairs. Cicero is closed between 127th and IL-83/Cal Sag Road. The ramp from southbound 294 to southbound Cicero is also closed.

They found cracks in the superstructure, but I'm surprised they didn't just do a complete sweep of the bridges crossing the Cal Sag for repairs. They redid Ridgeland and IL-171/83 bridges within the past couple of years

Is it just me, but has there been a lot of emergency bridge repairs in the Chicago area over the last year?  I recall one south of Arsenal Rd. on 55, and just last week on I-80 on the east side of Joliet.

IDOT is normally on a two year schedule for bridge inspections. As soon as an element gets below a threshold of good repair, they go to a one-year cycle. There are bridges in the past that were inspected on as often as a weekly basis because of fracture critical components. At any time during these inspections, and through routine drive-throughs by maintenance personnel or reports by the general public, something suspicious is sometimes found. Depending on the issue, some problems reveal themselves over time in a highly visible manner (like the exposed steel components of a truss bridge), others are hidden beneath the surface until they suddenly pop out in the open (often on bridge decks).

Revive 755

Page 13 of 36 from this presentation has a truck flow map from 2014 for Illinois that might be of interest.  I have to wonder if it is missing some data given the categories given to some of the Chicagoland interstates.

Lyon Wonder

IDOT has narrowed down their plan for replacing the IL-106 Florence bridge across the Illinois River to 4 options.  I guess the build-no bridge option is to just simply tear down the existing bridge and upgrade the country road from IL-100 and IL-106 in Detroit to I-72 with a new interchange. I think most locals would prefer a brand new bridge, which would also provide a viable detour route for I-72.

http://wlds.com/news/idot-receives-public-feedback-on-florence-bridge-project/

IDOT receives public feedback on Florence Bridge project

By Blake Schnitker on December 8 at 7:59am

Residents of Scott and Pike counties had the opportunity to meet with IDOT representatives last night regarding future plans for the Florence Bridge.

The Illinois Department of Transportation is currently in the planning stages for replacing the bridge that runs across the Illinois River at Florence, near the border of Pike and Scott counties and Illinois Routes 100 and 106.

Last night, IDOT representatives laid out the various replacement options that they've developed and received feedback from members of the community. In terms of replacing the bridge, IDOT's Region Four Engineer Jeff South explains the alternative options.

"We started off with about ten or so, and we've narrowed it down to basically four with a no-build option. The four alternatives that we're looking at basically include a (potential) bridge about 100 feet north of the current structure, one about 100 feet south of the current structure, one about 300 feet south of the current structure, and a little bit more of a bypass concept about 4,500 feet south of the current structure, with attaching roadways,"  says South.

Back in early August, the Florence Bridge was shut down for a few days. South says that those repairs were made, but explains why IDOT is thinking about the long term condition of the structure.

"The bridge was originally shut down a little bit earlier this year based on some inspection results we had. We fixed those issues, so the bridge is back open and in service. We want to take a look at our options for replacing this structure because the bridge is basically old, it's structurally deficient, it's functionally obsolete, and we don't want to  continue to put a whole lot of money into a structure that isn't really looking forward into the 21st century,"  South explains.

The projected costs of the four replacement alternatives range from about $70 to $78 million dollars. The cheapest construction cost comes with alternative 4A and is estimated at $70.6 million, where a replacement would be placed approximately 100 feet north of the existing bridge. The most expensive option is alternative 4C, which would construct a replacement bridge 100 feet south of the current structure; that comes in at an estimated $77.6 million.

In terms of costs, South explains that IDOT would seek some federal funding for this particular project.

"In general, we would look to have federal participation for this structure. Generally, we would look for eighty-twenty, with the department matching twenty (percent) because it's our roadway, it's our bridge, we would intend for most of the money for the match to be ours and have federal participation in it. Some of the side roads, it's possible that we would need some local participation for improving those, but it depends on the alternative,"  says South.

IDOT is approximately two-thirds of the way through the planning phase of the project. The department plans to hold more public meetings similar to last night's event in the future, as they continue to seek community feedback. To provide online feedback, you can email IDOT at contact@www.florencebridgestudy.com.

Brandon

State expands plan to add toll lanes on I-55

QuoteTo combat congestion on the Stevenson Expressway, Gov. Bruce Rauner and IDOT last year proposed adding one express toll lane in each direction for the 25-mile stretch between I-355 and I-90/94, to be built by private companies. The stretch starts at Bolingbrook and touches such southwest suburbs as Burr Ridge, Hodgkins and Summit, plus Chicago's Southwest Side.

IDOT has now upped the ante and proposes having two new toll lanes in each direction from I-90/94 in the city to I-294, with one toll lane in each direction from I-294 to I-355.

The new plan would be more attractive to developers, who could pay for all or part of the construction through a public-private partnership, which would have to be approved by the Illinois General Assembly, explained IDOT project manager Steve Schilke. The Assembly never voted on the initial, one-lane proposal. The Illinois Tollway would have the right of first refusal on the project.

The new lanes would go into the shoulder area to the left of traffic and into the center median. The additional lanes would not take up any more of the right-of-way for I-55, so it would not intrude on private property, Schilke said. Some widening would be needed at places where the roadway curves, to make sure sightlines are safe, but this would still be within the existing right-of-way, he said.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

johndoe780

Quote from: Brandon on December 11, 2017, 11:56:24 AM

QuoteTo combat congestion on the Stevenson Expressway, Gov. Bruce Rauner and IDOT last year proposed adding one express toll lane in each direction for the 25-mile stretch between I-355 and I-90/94, to be built by private companies. The stretch starts at Bolingbrook and touches such southwest suburbs as Burr Ridge, Hodgkins and Summit, plus Chicago's Southwest Side.

IDOT has now upped the ante and proposes having two new toll lanes in each direction from I-90/94 in the city to I-294, with one toll lane in each direction from I-294 to I-355.

The new plan would be more attractive to developers, who could pay for all or part of the construction through a public-private partnership, which would have to be approved by the Illinois General Assembly, explained IDOT project manager Steve Schilke. The Assembly never voted on the initial, one-lane proposal. The Illinois Tollway would have the right of first refusal on the project.

The new lanes would go into the shoulder area to the left of traffic and into the center median. The additional lanes would not take up any more of the right-of-way for I-55, so it would not intrude on private property, Schilke said. Some widening would be needed at places where the roadway curves, to make sure sightlines are safe, but this would still be within the existing right-of-way, he said.

The tollway taking control of this project just makes sense. Not a bad idea at the end. I just hope the tollway lets pace use the express lanes.

Brandon

Quote from: johndoe780 on December 11, 2017, 12:14:14 PM

The tollway taking control of this project just makes sense. Not a bad idea at the end. I just hope the tollway lets pace use the express lanes.

My guess is that the arrangement would be similar for Pace as it is on the Jane Addams/Northwest Tollway.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

ET21

Quote from: Brandon on December 11, 2017, 01:31:44 PM
Quote from: johndoe780 on December 11, 2017, 12:14:14 PM

My guess is that the arrangement would be similar for Pace as it is on the Jane Addams/Northwest Tollway.

Maybe we'd get a smaller version of the smart roadway with these, but not sure if IDOT would want that over the local lanes
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

mgk920

Wasn't that wide grassy median put there as a routing for a potential future CTA Red Line extension?

Mike

SSOWorld

Quote from: mgk920 on December 12, 2017, 12:00:12 AM
Wasn't that wide grassy median put there as a routing for a potential future CTA Red Line extension?

Mike
Orange Line.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Henry

Whether the toll lanes on I-55 were a great idea remains to be seen. But if they help ease congestion a bit, then I'm all for it.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

paulthemapguy

Quote from: Henry on December 12, 2017, 09:19:32 AM
Whether the toll lanes on I-55 were a great idea remains to be seen. But if they help ease congestion a bit, then I'm all for it.

Agreed.  I'm all for any kind of additional lanes along the Stevenson or Eisenhower.  If they were HOV/Toll lanes, that would be much better than straight-up toll lanes imo
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

7/8

Quote from: paulthemapguy on December 12, 2017, 10:27:46 AM

Agreed.  I'm all for any kind of additional lanes along the Stevenson or Eisenhower.  If they were HOV/Toll lanes, that would be much better than straight-up toll lanes imo

So the toll lanes aren't HOV? I guess Illinois really is desperate for money :-D

abefroman329

Mike

You may be thinking of I-57, in which case, yes, it was.

inkyatari

Quote from: 7/8 on December 12, 2017, 12:02:16 PM

So the toll lanes aren't HOV? I guess Illinois really is desperate for money :-D

You have no idea.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

Joe The Dragon

It's needs to be IL-tollway as for HOV toll transponder with hov switches are a mixed bag that will make having 1 common toll system hard

mgk920

Quote from: abefroman329 on December 12, 2017, 04:55:07 PM

Mike

You may be thinking of I-57, in which case, yes, it was.

Yea, half-awake brainfart.

:-p

Mike

johndoe780

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on December 12, 2017, 04:58:03 PM

It's needs to be IL-tollway as for HOV toll transponder with hov switches are a mixed bag that will make having 1 common toll system hard

Price also has to be reasonable. I wouldn't mind paying 75 cents or a dollar and driving 50 mph and bypassing stop and go traffic. Last week or so, Virginia drivers had to pay $40 for a HOT lane.

I would really like ITHSA to take over this project. At least the funds they earn go right back into their system and they continually upgrade the highways and generally do a good job. If it's a for profit company, the funds will just go to shareholders. The difference between the tollway which is fairly priced and the Chicago skyway are huge. Additionally the skyway you pay more to use your ipass.

DrMyEyes

Where did this map come from?  Is there going to be a new Joliet Road exit off 294?  The NB/SB County Line Road exits from SB 55 are dreadful, but it would be a shame to mess up that fancy Burr Ridge County Line overpass that took forever to build. 

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1mVYZ1GDcElZEZa-466VbqF_24GQ&hl=en_US&ll=41.76046424208385%2C-87.8941135&z=14

Brandon

Will County to request study on possible tollway on I-80

QuoteThe Will County Executive Committee is exploring options to widen Interstate 80 as traffic congestion continues to plague the highway that runs through the county.

The committee is planning on requesting for the Illinois State Tollway Highway Authority to conduct a feasibility study for the purposes of widening I-80 through Will County by creating an additional new dedicated toll lane, according to a press release.

"The portion of I-80 that runs through Will County is often congested and many times greatly exceeds the capacity it was designed for," said Will County Board Speaker Jim Moustis, R-Frankfort, in the press release. "With the limited road construction resources that the state has, we need to look at all options including adding toll lanes."

Personally, I favor just selling it and I-55 outright to ISTHA.

pianocello

Quote from: Brandon on December 17, 2017, 08:40:48 PM
Personally, I favor just selling it and I-55 outright to ISTHA.

I agree. If IDOT can't do anything, sell it to ISTHA and they can deal with it. In an ideal world, I-80 gets 6 lanes all the way out to I-55, with aux lanes between at least Larkin Ave and Richards St, as well as a complete redesign of the Center St and Chicago St interchanges. Of course, this is largely pipe dream. I don't know if even ISTHA can manage all of that.

Am I correct in saying that dedicated toll lanes (at least the ones that are proposed Illinois) have limited access points to the mainline, similar to the express lanes on the Kennedy and Dan Ryan?
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

inkyatari

I wonder how this will affect the http://i-80will.com/ study.  They want it 6 lanes from 355 to the Grundy County line

I emailed them, and they said they're going to have a public meeting sometime after the first of the year.

paulthemapguy

Hah, that ramp at the bottom left of the image is the ramp I use to take to work every day.

How about we build the frickin Illiana and get a bunch of trucks out of the way??

The frustrating thing is that the IDOT roads are the ones in disrepair, and the Tollway is sitting on a huge chunk of change that is never going to get used on them.  I hope the ISTHA can throw some of its money at the toll lanes on I-55, and depending on how that goes, maybe they can use a similar approach toward I-80.  I-80 was originally built to bypass the central urban core of Chicago to facilitate long-distance traffic, but since the area sprawled outward, you have commuters (like me) and short trips utilizing the road.  It would be a good road for splitting into express and local lanes, but that would take a ton of ROW and transportation dollars.  Some kind of miniature version of that, like the toll lanes, would work well here, I think.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

inkyatari

To help ease congestion both downtown Joliet and traffic across the region was to have the Caton Farm Rd. bridge built. That would have been a huge boon to the area.

I'm also thinking forcing all semi traffic to the Arsenal Rd. exit on 55 may not be a bad idea, at least until 80 can be widened.

inkyatari

The I-80will.com project has a meeting scheduled for Wednesday January 31, 2018 from 4:00 PM to 7:00 PM at Joliet Junior College .  Of course I get off work at 4:30, but I may take half a day to go to this.

Brandon

Quote from: paulthemapguy on December 18, 2017, 09:17:52 AM

Hah, that ramp at the bottom left of the image is the ramp I use to take to work every day.

It's also the ramp I typically use when I want to leave home and use I-80 east.  Who knew there were so many of us in this area?  :-D

QuoteHow about we build the frickin Illiana and get a bunch of trucks out of the way??

Much agreed.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.