News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Illinois notes

Started by mgk920, September 12, 2012, 02:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SEWIGuy

Quote from: abefroman329 on January 03, 2018, 10:52:02 AM
Quote from: paulthemapguy on January 02, 2018, 12:46:02 PMAnd GOOD GOD O'Hare really needed a rework of its rental car system--hearing about a project to rework that mess is excellent news!

As awful as the process of picking up a car is if you arrive at ORD by plane, it's ten times worse if you arrive at ORD on a Pace bus to pick up a car, since then you have to take the people mover from the Remote Parking stop to T3, walk down to Arrivals, and take a rental car shuttle to the agency you passed over on the people mover.

I hope the extension of the people mover includes additional trains, since I would expect ridership to increase dramatically once the rental car center/parking garage open.

Wouldn't it be cheaper (and easier) to rent a car offsite of ORD if you are not flying in?  My son lives in Chicago and doesn't have a car.  When he needs one, he Ubers (or walks) to the nearest Enterprise location.

inkyatari

Quote from: SEWIGuy on January 03, 2018, 11:04:03 AM
Quote from: paulthemapguy on January 02, 2018, 12:46:02 PMAnd GOOD GOD O'Hare really needed a rework of its rental car system--hearing about a project to rework that mess is excellent news!

As awful as the process of picking up a car is if you arrive at ORD by plane, it's ten times worse if you arrive at ORD on a Pace bus to pick up a car, since then you have to take the people mover from the Remote Parking stop to T3, walk down to Arrivals, and take a rental car shuttle to the agency you passed over on the people mover.

I hope the extension of the people mover includes additional trains, since I would expect ridership to increase dramatically once the rental car center/parking garage open.

Wouldn't it be cheaper (and easier) to rent a car offsite of ORD if you are not flying in?  My son lives in Chicago and doesn't have a car.  When he needs one, he Ubers (or walks) to the nearest Enterprise location.

I guess it could depend on what type of vehicle you rent, but yeah, I'd tend to agree.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

abefroman329

Not necessarily.  Cars rented from an offsite location usually have a higher base rate which offsets the lower amount of taxes and fees.

Brandon

Quote from: abefroman329 on January 03, 2018, 03:46:32 PM

Not necessarily.  Cars rented from an offsite location usually have a higher base rate which offsets the lower amount of taxes and fees.

Depends.  It's a long way to rent a vehicle at O'Hare from most places around the region.  You'd spend more in gas and tolls.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

kphoger

Quote from: Brandon on January 03, 2018, 05:02:58 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on January 03, 2018, 03:46:32 PM

Depends.  It's a long way to rent a vehicle at O'Hare from most places around the region.  You'd spend more in gas and tolls.

Does not apply.  A transfer (Ventra card) is $2.55.  Of course, Pace bus to O'Hare isn't all that convenient to most people, so it's reasonable to add in the cost of a Metra ticket as well.

The only time I've used Pace bus either to or from O'Hare was upon arrival.  I took #330 down to Lake Street, grabbed a bite to eat at a greasy spoon that's no longer in business (Deluxe Grill), hoofed it across the Global II rail yard to the staircase (that's also no longer there) down to the Bellwood Metra station.  Then I got to wait for my train under the Mannheim overpass after dark, which is probably not the safest place to be.

The only other times I've taken transit to O'Hare, I took the L.  In fact, I once went from Wheaton to O'Hare by using two Pace buses to get me to the 54th/Cermak blue (now pink) line station, then transferred to the L and took it the entire way through downtown and back out to the airport.  That was more convenient than messing with Pace #330 up Mannheim easier than getting Metra and Pace schedules to line up on a weekend.  And, because it was only two transfers total, it was cheaper too.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

paulthemapguy

That's just it.  If you need an uber from the airport to get to your rental car, that's a sign your in-place transit infrastructure is garbage.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

SEWIGuy

Quote from: paulthemapguy on January 04, 2018, 09:35:12 AM

That's just it.  If you need an uber from the airport to get to your rental car, that's a sign your in-place transit infrastructure is garbage.

I think you should probably read the thread again.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: SEWIGuy on January 04, 2018, 11:42:59 AM

No.  What I stated is a personal opinion.

A bit parochial, but the new signal at Laraway and Spencer was activated this week, in New Lenox.  That's an update for all you Joliet-area folks.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: paulthemapguy on January 06, 2018, 03:56:14 PM

And one I think would be shared by most reasonable people. What use is an airport if you can't get to it except by expensive or rather difficult means?

SEWIGuy

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on January 07, 2018, 12:26:33 AM

And one I think would be shared by most reasonable people. What use is an airport if you can't get to it except by expensive or rather difficult means?

It is neither difficult nor expensive to get to O'Hare.  I just question why someone would go to O'Hare to rent a car versus, you know, flying somewhere.

abefroman329

Quote from: SEWIGuy on January 07, 2018, 08:11:40 AM

It is neither difficult nor expensive to get to O'Hare.  I just question why someone would go to O'Hare to rent a car versus, you know, flying somewhere.

One may not own a car, or one may be married but living in a one-car household.  Most of the time, one finds the local public transit sufficient, but one may need a car on occasion, but not frequently enough to purchase a car or a second car.  One may also find it much cheaper to rent said car at ORD than from a local agency.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: abefroman329 on January 08, 2018, 09:20:14 AM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on January 07, 2018, 08:11:40 AM

One may not own a car, or one may be married but living in a one-car household.  Most of the time, one finds the local public transit sufficient, but one may need a car on occasion, but not frequently enough to purchase a car or a second car.  One may also find it much cheaper to rent said car at ORD than from a local agency.

That's fine.  But don't complain about it.  It's an airport whose rental car companies cater to people flying in, not to local people renting cars.  It's probably less than 1% of their customer base.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: SEWIGuy on January 08, 2018, 09:39:28 AM
That's fine.  But don't complain about it.  It's an airport whose rental car companies cater to people flying in, not to local people renting cars.  It's probably less than 1% of their customer base.

Christ... do you know how entitled that makes you sound?

SEWIGuy

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on January 08, 2018, 11:56:37 AM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on January 08, 2018, 09:39:28 AM

Christ... do you know how entitled that makes you sound?

I am simply pointing out the fact that the rental car companies at O'Hare are primarily set up for the customers who are flying in.  Complaining about how hard it is to get there, when you represent a very small fraction of their customer base, is silly.

I would have no idea how that makes me sound "entitled."  So if it does, so be it and you'll just have to live with it.  I view that more of a "you problem" than a "me problem."

paulthemapguy

Quote from: SEWIGuy on January 08, 2018, 12:02:20 PM
I am simply pointing out the fact that the rental car companies at O'Hare are primarily set up for the customers who are flying in.  Complaining about how hard it is to get there, when you represent a very small fraction of their customer base, is silly.

Are you so dense that you can't realize that a customer's review is a sample representing a larger statistic, since there's no way I'm the only one who feels the way I feel?  Do you really think that, if I state an opinion, I must be the only person in the entire WORLD with that opinion?  Or do you mistakenly think that my opinion is based solely on the airport's ability to serve only me, and not the massive number of customers that use it?  I don't complain solely on my behalf; I complain on behalf of all others who also have to endure the ergonomic failures.  I'm not complaining because I expect the world to bend to MY will; I complain because I want solutions that benefit everyone, who is trying to get through their lives without additional conflicts!  I have a right to demand a better world for others, not just for me-me-me-gimme-what-I-want kind of reasons  :-D :-D :-D :pan: :pan: :pan: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

quickshade

From a business perspective I setup a rental place at an airport because I know 90% of my traffic and volume through that place is going to be people from the airport. So his logic is sound. Making it easier for 10% of my volume by relocating outside the airport while putting 90% of the rest at a disadvantage doesn't make sense, especially if someone else moves in closer and then can provide better and quicker service than I can.

It's like saying that having a gas station right off the exit of an interstate instead in the small town 5 miles down the road doesn't make sense. Of course it makes sense. A majority of my business is going to be interstate traffic filling up on gas and other goodies, while a select few people from the town may be inconvenienced by the drive they aren't my primary customer base. Sure I could locate closer to the small town and make it easier for them, but as soon as someone else buys that property right off the interstate and opens a gas station I lose my advantage of location. Business is all about having the best plan in place.

abefroman329

That was an unusually controversial post I made, so maybe I'll restate it.

When I lived in DC, I would frequently rent cars at DCA, because I didn't own one, but still needed one on occasion, but Zipcar isn't cost-effective when you're renting for longer than 2-3 hours, and rental cars at DCA are much cheaper than they are at offices in DC.  So I would take the Metro there and walk from DCA's Metro station to the rental car counters and cars. 

DCA is an example of an airport where it's very convenient for both arriving passengers and rental car customers arriving by other means to rent cars.

At ORD, getting to the rental car agencies is inconvenient for everyone.  It's inconvenient if you're flying in, it's inconvenient if you take the Blue Line to the airport to rent your car, it's inconvenient if you take a Pace bus to the airport to rent your car.  It is exponentially more inconvenient if you take a Pace bus, since it involves a lot of backtracking to get to the agency.  When the new CONRAC opens, it will be more convenient for everyone, but it will be A LOT more convenient for customers arriving by Pace bus.  I'd be surprised if they represented even 1% of all agencies' customers, but they'll be a happier 1% or less.

That is all.

Brandon

And I fail to see the point of renting a vehicle at O'Hare when there are many, many rental offices throughout the city and suburbs.  For some of us, renting a vehicle from O'Hare would involve a lot of money spent for Uber or a taxi, or a lot of public transit transfers, then additional tolls and gasoline usage afterward.  Any supposed savings just isn't worth it.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

abefroman329

Quote from: Brandon on January 19, 2018, 10:44:52 AM
And I fail to see the point of renting a vehicle at O'Hare when there are many, many rental offices throughout the city and suburbs.

It's.  Cheaper.

Rothman

I have usually found that renting cars away from airports is cheaper, not the other way around.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

inkyatari

I imagine it depends on the local economy.

Brandon

Quote from: abefroman329 on January 19, 2018, 11:28:12 AM
Quote from: Brandon on January 19, 2018, 10:44:52 AM
And I fail to see the point of renting a vehicle at O'Hare when there are many, many rental offices throughout the city and suburbs.

It's.  Cheaper.

You failed to read the rest of my comment:

QuoteFor some of us, renting a vehicle from O'Hare would involve a lot of money spent for Uber or a taxi, or a lot of public transit transfers, then additional tolls and gasoline usage afterward.  Any supposed savings just isn't worth it.

Comprende?

abefroman329

Quote from: Rothman on January 19, 2018, 11:53:49 AM
I have usually found that renting cars away from airports is cheaper, not the other way around.

Fascinating.

inkyatari

So...  Any new illinois road news not about O'Hare car rentals?

kphoger

Quote from: inkyatari on January 19, 2018, 04:29:06 PM
So...  Any new illinois road news not about O'Hare car rentals?

No.  All road projects have been put on hold till we all sort this crap out.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.