News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Do today's new cars make people drive more stupid?

Started by RobbieL2415, September 08, 2018, 09:53:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobbieL2415

This isn't grounded in fact, rather, in my personal driving experience.  Generally I encounter people (I don't consider most people "motorists" as "motorists" would actually bother to follow the rules of the road) driving carelessly in newer vehicles that appear to have the latest safety feature (lane departure alert, forward collision alert, blind-spot monitoring) and just assume the car will do it for them.  Like seriously, get your head out of your butt.  Or better yet, make cars that force people to drive correctly.

cjk374

All forms of technology that make life "easier" where less effort is put forth to achieve a goal,  means that people don't need as much knowledge to use toward that goal. That means the "old ways" are forgotten and not passed down to the next generation. The next generation is then declared "stupid".
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

wanderer2575

My observation is that what results in most stupid driving is people using their phones.  I suspect they'd still be doing so in a car with no safety systems. 

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on September 08, 2018, 09:53:41 PM
Or better yet, make cars that force people to drive correctly.

I'm curious as to how that might work (other than, I guess, just having the computer drive the car).
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

yand

If someone is the kind of person who thinks safety features allow them to drive carelessly, then the worst thing you can do is put them in a crapbox with no safety features. Even if I grant you that older vehicles cause more careful driving (which I doubt), I wouldn't trust these people's idea of what "careful" is for a second.
I make videos for Full Length Interstates. FullLengthInterstates.com redirects to my channel at youtube.com/FullLengthInterstates

RobbieL2415

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on September 09, 2018, 01:36:00 AM
Or better yet, make cars that force people to drive correctly.

I'm curious as to how that might work (other than, I guess, just having the computer drive the car).
An electric shock after every mistake.

formulanone

"Stupid" is overly simplistic. Less reliant on figuring out things for themselves? In some ways, yes.

But if it means that a new car makes it easier to drive in varying road/weather conditions, then it allows for greater concentration on the road ahead. It can also mean more distractions with idle time for some people...texting and other things.

If less people are dying, than who cares if they know how to drive stick or drive without traction control? The problem has been an uptick in fatalities in the past few years. It leveled off to its lowest amounts in 2011, hovered a bit to 2014, but the data for 2015-17 is concerning...especially for pedestrians.

Yet, in terms of total fatalities, it's a lower overall number compared to a decade ago, and certainly less than previous decades.

As an aside, the numbers can be skewed...sub-compacts are safer* than ever before!

* less sold, likely less on the road

index

This isn't grounded in fact, rather, in my personal driving experience.  Generally I encounter people (I don't consider most people "motorists" as "motorists" would actually bother to follow the rules of the road) driving carelessly in newer vehicles that appear to have the latest safety feature (lane departure alert, forward collision alert, blind-spot monitoring) and just assume the car will do it for them.  Like seriously, get your head out of your butt.  Or better yet, make cars that force people to drive correctly.

Also observed with other products with enhanced safety features to prevent damage. For instance, if you've ever purchased a spill/splash-proof phone, you may see a disclaimer that, in simple terms from what would actually be there, says "just because it's spill proof doesn't mean you get to go deliberately spilling things all over it/not exercising care with liquid, if you do that your warranty will be voided." .

I don't know if there's anything similar to that with cars that have enhanced safety features, I haven't paid attention to that. But if not, things like car advertisements, info when you buy a car, etc, should have them, based on what you're saying here.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

abefroman329

I just rented a car with Lane Knowledge Assist and drove with my hands off the wheel more than I should have, but not so much that I put myself or anyone else in danger.

I read a fascinating article after the Air France plane plunged into the Atlantic while flying from Brazil to Paris that speculated whether autopilot was making human pilots too comfortable.

TheHighwayMan3561

I feel some people do view these features as a replacement for human skills, rather than just as a supplement.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

formulanone

Quote from: abefroman329 on September 09, 2018, 07:55:28 PM
I read a fascinating article after the Air France plane plunged into the Atlantic while flying from Brazil to Paris that speculated whether autopilot was making human pilots too comfortable.

I don't think it's as easy to make the same assumptions with passenger aircraft - there's a lot of items and conditions to be monitored. The pitot tubes froze up, giving a bad speed reading, which caused the autopilot to disengage. I recall the resulting issue there was that the pilot was pushing up on the stick, while the first officer was doing the reverse action. This cancelled out the extreme moves as a precaution, which led to the airliner descending ever closer to the ocean (at night, so it was imperceptible to discern altitude). Airbus modified the autopilot to prevent a similar issue from happening again.

What makes drivers assume folks are "stupid" are probably the same things seen repeatedly that reinforce our beliefs that Everyone is Getting Dumber when it's just the same mistakes continuing to be made. Besides, driving is a classic example of Dunning-Kruger; everyone thinks they're great, nobody claims otherwise...yet I have not been anywhere in which people brag that they're collectively the best all-round drivers (short of a professional automobile race).

Roadrunner75

I think that automatic headlights coupled with daytime running lights in more vehicles seem to have resulted with more people driving without their headlights on at night (or maybe just my imagination).  I had a car with auto headlights (that frustratingly couldn't be disabled), followed by a car where it could be (and I manually turned them on) followed by my current car where I don't have it at all.  However, my car has daytime running lights which provide just enough light where I might not immediately think to turn on the headlights at dusk (although I always check).  It seems on my commute home at night that I encounter a number of cars in the darkness driving on their daytime running lights with no taillights.  There's probably a few driving rentals or used to auto headlights that don't realize they're driving without their lights on. 

vdeane

It's known that people drive based on how safe they perceive themselves to be and are more careful when they feel less safe.  That's why most crashes happen when people are on familiar roads, and why studies show that areas with more "free for all" conditions can be more safe than a fully controlled street (think an unmarked European street with lots of pedestrians vs. the typical American suburban arterial).  I imagine it applies to cars too.

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on September 09, 2018, 10:42:46 AM
An electric shock after every mistake.
Sounds like the Stanley Milgram Experiment.

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on September 09, 2018, 09:16:35 PM
I think that automatic headlights coupled with daytime running lights in more vehicles seem to have resulted with more people driving without their headlights on at night (or maybe just my imagination).  I had a car with auto headlights (that frustratingly couldn't be disabled), followed by a car where it could be (and I manually turned them on) followed by my current car where I don't have it at all.  However, my car has daytime running lights which provide just enough light where I might not immediately think to turn on the headlights at dusk (although I always check).  It seems on my commute home at night that I encounter a number of cars in the darkness driving on their daytime running lights with no taillights.  There's probably a few driving rentals or used to auto headlights that don't realize they're driving without their lights on. 

Rain too, since people tend to assume that they do more than they actually do.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jeffandnicole

'Stupid' is also in the eye of the beholder.  I've seen many people doing the stupid thing, getting made at someone doing the proper thing.

Max Rockatansky

On the whole the average drivers aren't particular skilled in anything other urban commute combat.  That doesn't particularly endear itself to good behavior no matter what road or vehicle is involved, a shitty driver is just plainly that...a shitty driver. 

SP Cook

Stupid is as stupid does.

Let us divide the idea into two parts.  First are the driver assist items like lane departure, anti-collision, adaptive cruise control, and so on.  These are 99% good things, but a driver is still required.  I will give an example.  In my area, they are doing some road work.  This has shifted lanes, so the old lane stripes are painted over and new ones put down.  Fine.  Except when it rains, they all look the same to the computer.  Several times my lane departure goes off, and I do nothing.  Because I am paying attention.   But I have seen many try to hold to the wrong lane, and thus several near accidents. 

The second is GPS.  GPS is useful, if you use it properly.  I just got back from a quick trip to DC.  Two cars, I was driving neither.  Younger guys in the front, older guys following.  Young guys driving is using GPS incorrectly.  At interstate speeds, GPS will not tell you to work your way right four or five miles ahead, which is needed on busy multiple lane highways.  Thus, and not just from the guy we were following, but lots of people, sudden crazy Ivan turns across 4 or 5 lanes to get to an exit.  Missed an exit twice.  Because you use GPS AS A SUPPLEMENT, for already knowing what route you are taking, including the exit name and number, every time, period.

MikieTimT

It's attention deficit more than stupidity, and yes smartphones and their integration into vehicles do play a notable role in it being more prevalent nowadays.  However, I had 2 rear-end accidents where I was at fault before my 20th birthday in my tiny hometown running into the back of left-turning trucks.  One was looking across a parking lot at a girl, and the other was dinking with my stereo, so my stupidity couldn't be blamed on anything other than head-in-arse disease.

I still think that the majority of the humans around me in traffic during rush hour would fail a followup driving test, though.  It comes down to common courtesy in most cases.  Common courtesy, like common sense, doesn't seem to actually be common in practice.

abefroman329

Quote from: MikieTimT on October 15, 2018, 10:05:09 PMI still think that the majority of the humans around me in traffic during rush hour would fail a followup driving test, though.
When my family and I moved back to Illinois, as adults, and went to get Illinois driver" s licenses, we all had to take the same written test they give to first-time licensees. Even my parents, who were in their 60s at the time and once had Illinois licenses. I was the only one who studied for the test and did no better than my family members who didn't study (we all passed).

inkyatari

Well, all I know is that since ashtrays have been removed from cars, I'm seeing more burning cancer sticks thrown out the window
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

kphoger

Quote from: SP Cook on September 10, 2018, 09:42:33 AM
In my area, they are doing some road work.  This has shifted lanes, so the old lane stripes are painted over and new ones put down.  Fine.  Except when it rains, they all look the same to the computer.  Several times my lane departure goes off, and I do nothing.  Because I am paying attention.   But I have seen many try to hold to the wrong lane, and thus several near accidents. 

I'm curious to know how lane assist works.  If there's a bunch of potholes in my lane, is it going to freak out if I cross the center line or shoulder line to avoid blowing a tire?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

SP Cook

On my particular car, if you cross out of your lane (or what the computer thinks is your lane) the steering wheel shakes and a "womp womp" sound replaces whatever is on the radio. 

I think there are more expensive models that actually try to hold the car in the lane, which is a bad thing.

frankenroad

I think that automatic headlights coupled with daytime running lights in more vehicles seem to have resulted with more people driving without their headlights on at night (or maybe just my imagination). 

Not your imagination.... I have observed the same. 
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

kphoger

Quote from: SP Cook on October 16, 2018, 12:53:41 PM
On my particular car, if you cross out of your lane (or what the computer thinks is your lane) the steering wheel shakes and a "womp womp" sound replaces whatever is on the radio. 

I think there are more expensive models that actually try to hold the car in the lane, which is a bad thing.

Gosh, I would hate that!  On highways with particularly bad pavement, I'm known to ride the center or shoulder stripe for miles at a time (obviously only if doing so doesn't interfere with other traffic).  I also ride the stripe when crossing railroads, because it's usually a smoother transition than the more rutted tire tracks.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Quote from: frankenroad on October 16, 2018, 12:55:11 PM
I think that automatic headlights coupled with daytime running lights in more vehicles seem to have resulted with more people driving without their headlights on at night (or maybe just my imagination). 

Not your imagination.... I have observed the same. 

I haven't noticed that.  Sure, I see people driving without headlights when they should have them on, but I've been seeing that for as long as I've been old enough to drive.  If anything, I think people are more likely to turn their lights on simply because they're seeing more traffic around them with their lights on.  I chalk up the occasional ninja car to the same old forgetfulness that's been around for years.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.