News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

TV-Movie Road inaccuracies that drive you crazy!

Started by Captain Jack, August 10, 2018, 02:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman

Quote from: PHLBOS on February 10, 2020, 10:44:11 AM
Quote from: roadman on February 10, 2020, 10:24:37 AMThanks for the clarification.
No problem.  I should've also mentioned that such scenes are shown in the Road-Show edition, where practical.  The DVD/Blue Ray combo package, that came out about 5 years ago, offers both the standard version without the deleted scenes and the Road-Show version with the extra scenes and/or stills in some instances.

Didn't realize there was a Road-Show edition.  Then again, until recently, I never had a Blue Ray compatible DVD player, so I never paid much attention to Blue Ray offerings.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Chris19001

The recent flick "The Irishman" on Netflix had an inaccuracy which caught my ear as soon as it was mentioned.
DeNiro's character described the route he was taking to Detroit from Philly, and mentioned that he was taking 476 up from the Philly area.  That portion of the movie was set in the mid to late 70's and PA-9 wasn't designated I-476 until 1996.  Also he'd have a few other routes in getting there from South Philly and the Blue Route wasn't complete and the NE Extension was only accessible via the turnpike itself (nitpicking his directions)

index

I can't help but notice most shows or movies set somewhere else are actually filmed in California, especially in scenes when they're driving with the signals, masts, roads, etc. You see it all the time in The Office with the landscape and roads. Definitely looks like California, not northeastern Pennsylvania. Parks and Recreation has the same thing, looks like California with the roads, not south-central Indiana.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

Rothman

Heh, I believe in the episode of the Office where Michael's going to jump off the roof, you can even see a palm tree briefly.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

roadman

Quote from: index on February 10, 2020, 02:12:32 PM
I can't help but notice most shows or movies set somewhere else are actually filmed in California, especially in scenes when they're driving with the signals, masts, roads, etc. You see it all the time in The Office with the landscape and roads. Definitely looks like California, not northeastern Pennsylvania. Parks and Recreation has the same thing, looks like California with the roads, not south-central Indiana.

I'm sure glad that England looks nothing like southern California - Austin Powers
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman on February 10, 2020, 11:10:04 AMDidn't realize there was a Road-Show edition.  Then again, until recently, I never had a Blue Ray compatible DVD player, so I never paid much attention to Blue Ray offerings.
Here's the write-up on the above from Wiki:
Quote from: Wiki AccountExisting footage is in the form of original 70 mm elements of the general release version (recent restored versions shown in revival screenings are derived from these elements). A 1991 VHS and LaserDisc from MGM/UA was an extended 183-minute version of the film, with most of the reinserted footage derived from elements stored in a Los Angeles warehouse about to be demolished. According to a 2002 interview with master preservationist Robert A. Harris, this extended version is not a true representation of the original roadshow cut and included footage that was not meant to be shown in any existing version.

A restoration effort was made by Harris in an attempt to bring the film back as close as possible to the original roadshow release. The project to go ahead with the massive restoration project would gain approval from Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (parent company of UA), although it did require a necessary budget for it to proceed.

Released on January 21, 2014 as a two Blu-ray and three DVD set, the Criterion Collection release contains two versions of the film, a restored 4K digital film transfer of the 159-minute general release version and a new 197-minute high-definition digital transfer, reconstructed and restored by Robert A. Harris using visual and audio material from the longer original "road-show" version not seen in over 50 years. Some scenes have been returned to the film for the first time, and the Blu-ray features a 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack.

Unfortunately, I have started to notice that many new movies and/or special-feature offerings in for older movies are now Blue Ray format only (aside from on-line versions).  With such in mind, I had no choice but to buy a separate Blue Ray player.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman

Quote from: PHLBOS on February 10, 2020, 02:57:44 PM
Quote from: roadman on February 10, 2020, 11:10:04 AMDidn't realize there was a Road-Show edition.  Then again, until recently, I never had a Blue Ray compatible DVD player, so I never paid much attention to Blue Ray offerings.
Here's the write-up on the above from Wiki:
Quote from: Wiki AccountExisting footage is in the form of original 70 mm elements of the general release version (recent restored versions shown in revival screenings are derived from these elements). A 1991 VHS and LaserDisc from MGM/UA was an extended 183-minute version of the film, with most of the reinserted footage derived from elements stored in a Los Angeles warehouse about to be demolished. According to a 2002 interview with master preservationist Robert A. Harris, this extended version is not a true representation of the original roadshow cut and included footage that was not meant to be shown in any existing version.

A restoration effort was made by Harris in an attempt to bring the film back as close as possible to the original roadshow release. The project to go ahead with the massive restoration project would gain approval from Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (parent company of UA), although it did require a necessary budget for it to proceed.

Released on January 21, 2014 as a two Blu-ray and three DVD set, the Criterion Collection release contains two versions of the film, a restored 4K digital film transfer of the 159-minute general release version and a new 197-minute high-definition digital transfer, reconstructed and restored by Robert A. Harris using visual and audio material from the longer original "road-show" version not seen in over 50 years. Some scenes have been returned to the film for the first time, and the Blu-ray features a 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack.

Unfortunately, I have started to notice that many new movies and/or special-feature offerings in for older movies are now Blue Ray format only (aside from on-line versions).  With such in mind, I had no choice but to buy a separate Blue Ray player.

My understanding is that all newer players, in addition to being "multi-region", can play both regular DVDs and Blue Ray discs - so you don't need separate players for each format.

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman on February 10, 2020, 03:30:00 PMMy understanding is that all newer players, in addition to being "multi-region", can play both regular DVDs and Blue Ray discs - so you don't need separate players for each format.
Correct; but if one still has an older DVD player, that flexibility does not exist.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Bobby5280

Considering how physical media sales have been plummeting I'm pretty nervous electronics companies will stop making optical disc players. Samsung is already getting out of the market.

Quote from: indexI can't help but notice most shows or movies set somewhere else are actually filmed in California, especially in scenes when they're driving with the signals, masts, roads, etc. You see it all the time in The Office with the landscape and roads. Definitely looks like California, not northeastern Pennsylvania. Parks and Recreation has the same thing, looks like California with the roads, not south-central Indiana.

Actually more and more movie and TV productions are shot outside California.

Georgia has a very large number of productions based there. The same goes for New Mexico. Those two states have very generous tax incentive programs. Texas has long been an alternative site for film and TV productions. Ontario and British Columbia (and the cities of Toronto and Vancouver) host many "American" productions. Even New Zealand and Australia snag a few of those productions too.

Here in Oklahoma the state government is setting up a more competitive environment to attract movie and TV productions. Martin Scorsese's next movie, Killers of the Flower Moon will be shot in the Oklahoma town of Pawhuska. A upcoming movie later this fall starring Matt Damon called Stillwater was shot in Stillwater, El Reno, Chickasha, Arcadia and Guthrie.

California is doing a good job of pricing itself out of movie and TV production business. Living costs there are completely insane. The regulatory environment (permits, etc) is suffocating and costly. Then there's the matter of how much the Teamsters, IATSE, etc add to production cost. Production budgets go a lot farther in other states. Very few people shoot on film anymore. It's all glorified video cameras. That's another thing making productions more "mobile." Panavision, Arri and others have offices in plenty of other places besides Hollywood and NYC.

As for the California scenery shots that do turn up, that can come from a variety of sources. It's funny how much stock video and film footage shows up in movies and TV shows. Also a tiny "second unit" crew can travel all over the place getting exterior shots from anywhere. But then the actual on set production happens in some place like Atlanta or Albuquerque.

roadman

Quote from: PHLBOS on February 10, 2020, 04:12:13 PM
Quote from: roadman on February 10, 2020, 03:30:00 PMMy understanding is that all newer players, in addition to being "multi-region", can play both regular DVDs and Blue Ray discs - so you don't need separate players for each format.
Correct; but if one still has an older DVD player, that flexibility does not exist.

Understood.  I was referring mainly to my earlier comment about not having BlueRay capability until recently, when my player cr^**ed out and I had to buy a new one.

Finrod

Every time I see the US 6 - US 322 sign in what's supposed to be downtown DC in Captain America: The Winter Soldier.
Internet member since 1987.

Hate speech is a nonsense concept; the truth is hate speech to those that hate the truth.

People who use their free speech to try to silence others' free speech are dangerous fools.

interstate73

In last year's movie "Born to Run" about a Pakistani-British Bruce Springsteen fan, he is shown flying into New Jersey at Newark Airport and then travelling down to Monmouth County/the Shore, but during the travel montage it shows this sign that is on the outbound Lincoln Tunnel approach where it splits for the Turnpike or 3, which is north of Newark Airport, so you would not pass by there going from the airport down to the Shore  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
🎶 Man, there’s an opera on the Turnpike 🎶

Morris County if the Route 178 Freeway had been built:

cwf1701

Red Dawn (2012) is set in Washington State, but you can see evidence of its production in Michigan (Michigan style traffic lights, and a scene that was at the interchange of I-375 and I-75) https://reggiestake.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/red-dawn-4.jpg

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: cwf1701 on February 20, 2020, 08:11:08 PM
Red Dawn (2012) is set in Washington State, but you can see evidence of its production in Michigan (Michigan style traffic lights, and a scene that was at the interchange of I-375 and I-75) https://reggiestake.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/red-dawn-4.jpg

The fact that Red Dawn was remade is maddening enough. 

apeman33

Quote from: Finrod on February 20, 2020, 03:16:06 PM
Every time I see the US 6 - US 322 sign in what's supposed to be downtown DC in Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

He's

Whenever I notice BC-99 shields in a movie or TV show that's supposed to take place in an American city.

Verlanka

Quote from: apeman33 on March 16, 2020, 06:04:55 PM
Quote from: Finrod on February 20, 2020, 03:16:06 PM

He's
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Bobby5280

The big urban action sequence early in the The Winter Soldier definitely has a US-6/US-322 sign clearly visible. That's because they shot a bunch of the sequence in downtown Cleveland. Not DC. A bunch of the movie was shot in Ohio:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1843866/locations?ref_=tt_dt_dt

MCRoads

Every single scene in a movie/TV show that is filmed on the Terminal Island Freeway, that identifies it as something else. Even in Get Smart, where the scene IS in LA, they identify it as I-87 (or a similar number). What??
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

ErmineNotyours

Quote from: MCRoads on March 19, 2020, 03:16:45 PM
Every single scene in a movie/TV show that is filmed on the Terminal Island Freeway, that identifies it as something else. Even in Get Smart, where the scene IS in LA, they identify it as I-87 (or a similar number). What??

Hollywood uses several stub freeways for filming.  They used the Glenwood Freeway for Bowfinger, and the I-710 stub south of Pasadena for The People vs. O.J. Simpson.  That freeway was supposed to be I-405, but you could clearly see the I-705 trailblazer BGS as they went past the same section of freeway over and over again.

bing101

Quote from: Bobby5280 on February 10, 2020, 04:14:49 PM
Considering how physical media sales have been plummeting I'm pretty nervous electronics companies will stop making optical disc players. Samsung is already getting out of the market.

Quote from: indexI can't help but notice most shows or movies set somewhere else are actually filmed in California, especially in scenes when they're driving with the signals, masts, roads, etc. You see it all the time in The Office with the landscape and roads. Definitely looks like California, not northeastern Pennsylvania. Parks and Recreation has the same thing, looks like California with the roads, not south-central Indiana.

Georgia has a very large number of productions based there. The same goes for New Mexico. Those two states have very generous tax incentive programs. Texas has long been an alternative site for film and TV productions. Ontario and British Columbia (and the cities of Toronto and Vancouver) host many "American" productions. Even New Zealand and Australia snag a few of those productions too.

Here in Oklahoma the state government is setting up a more competitive environment to attract movie and TV productions. Martin Scorsese's next movie, Killers of the Flower Moon will be shot in the Oklahoma town of Pawhuska. A upcoming movie later this fall starring Matt Damon called Stillwater was shot in Stillwater, El Reno, Chickasha, Arcadia and Guthrie.

California is doing a good job of pricing itself out of movie and TV production business. Living costs there are completely insane. The regulatory environment (permits, etc) is suffocating and costly. Then there's the matter of how much the Teamsters, IATSE, etc add to production cost. Production budgets go a lot farther in other states. Very few people shoot on film anymore. It's all glorified video cameras. That's another thing making productions more "mobile." Panavision, Arri and others have offices in plenty of other places besides Hollywood and NYC.

As for the California scenery shots that do turn up, that can come from a variety of sources. It's funny how much stock video and film footage shows up in movies and TV shows. Also a tiny "second unit" crew can travel all over the place getting exterior shots from anywhere. But then the actual on set production happens in some place like Atlanta or Albuquerque.

http://www.visitvallejo.com/film-office/solano-county-feature-film-history

http://www.visitvallejo.com/film-office/13-reasons-why-film-locations-in-vallejo-ca

https://www.thereporter.com/2015/09/18/local-filmmakers-in-vacaville-to-shoot-scenes-for-action-film/

https://www.dailyrepublic.com/all-dr-news/solano-news/local-features/local-lifestyle-columns/all-the-kings-men-the-king-of-movies-filmed-locally/

https://www.mercurynews.com/2011/06/07/controversial-hollywood-movie-to-begin-filming-in-vallejo/
http://www.filminamerica.com/PacificNorthwest/NCA/SacramentoCounty/Sacramento/

If you are wondering where some of the "Wine Country", "San Francisco Bay Area", "Central Valley" and "Southern California" scenes are filmed in movies, Music videos and TV  they are located in Solano and Sacramento Counties. Yes Solano County and Sacramento gets used as a location for the Northern California scenes and its used to avoid high costs of doing movies in San Francisco and Los Angeles County while staying within the state.

http://filmmareisland.com/

Mare Island has to be one of the busiest film studios on the U.S. West coast that's not located in San Francisco or Los Angeles.

ipeters61

I was watching Malcolm in the Middle and there was an episode where they showed a mugshot that was supposed to be in Alaska that said "County."  But Alaska doesn't have counties, it has boroughs.
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

D-Dey65

Quote from: abefroman329 on August 16, 2018, 03:54:06 PM
One of the reasons my dad loves the Dick Wolf Chicago shows is because they never say they're going to the corner of two streets that run parallel to each other (say, the corner of State and Wabash).
Oh, speaking of Dick Wolf, there are a couple of seasons of Law & Order SVU where they not only get the geography and roads of Nassau and Suffolk Counties wrong (Jericho in Suffolk County, Route 1 in Wyandanch which is a dirt road), but they get the police cars wrong.

In his universe, a Suffolk County Police car is a white Chevy Impala with purple and mustard yellow stripes and lettering, although sometimes the mustard lettering is orange.

Real Suffolk and Nassau county police cars below:
http://pics.imcdb.org/0is714/suffolkpolicecar2.6273.jpg

http://pics.imcdb.org/0is4/nassaupolicecar4.193.jpg

Dick Wolf Universe Suffolk County police cars:
http://pics.imcdb.org/0is232/laworderspecialvictimsu.7466.jpg

http://pics.imcdb.org/0is20/laworderspecialvictimsuz.9716.jpg

D-Dey65

Quote from: roadman on February 10, 2020, 03:30:00 PM
My understanding is that all newer players, in addition to being "multi-region", can play both regular DVDs and Blue Ray discs - so you don't need separate players for each format.
So does that mean I'll be able to watch Region 2 versions of David Leland's "Tales Out of School" mini-series and not have to wait for a Region 1 version?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GWDOHSY/?coliid=I3K3L3PUIGV5R6&colid=C7Z26JNSH6PU&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

bing101

Quote from: Bobby5280 on February 10, 2020, 04:14:49 PM

https://www.georgiatrend.com/2018/03/01/ga-ga-land/

In this 2018 press release the state of Georgia overtook California for film production. Article cited an economic study from 2016 and 2017 for filming.

machias

The ABC comedy "Happy Endings" once featured a newscast shot somewhere in the 30 hundred block of "E. Clybourne" in Chicago. Clybourn was spelled wrong, is marked North-South and 30 hundred east anything in Chicago is usually going to put it way out in Lake Michigan.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.