News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

65 vs 169

Started by texaskdog, November 15, 2018, 10:46:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

texaskdog

Looking at my 1953 road atlas I was looking at Lyndale, which is US 65 and becomes 169.  I am curious why a 2 digit US route ends in favor of a 3 digit, when as far as I can tell US 65 never went north of Minneapolis anyway. 

froggie

65 didn't end at 169.  It turned east on Lake St (concurrent with US 212), then turned north on 3rd Ave to end downtown at 3rd & Washington (US 12/52).

texaskdog

someone must have been adamant about having 65 end downtown instead of reversing them so 65 would go much farther

NE2

MN 65 always (post-1934) continued north, and if you believe official state maps it was originally supposed to be US 65 to McGregor.

[edit]Hmmm, but US 169 extended to International Falls pre-1934. I would guess that when it was created ca. 1930, they wanted to take it as far as they could and didn't think about extending US 65 (which ended in St. Paul anyway until 1934; it's US 55 that used Lyndale previously).
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

TheHighwayMan3561

US 65's brief extension was revoked (or never approved to begin with) by AASHO and MDH was made to change it back to MN 65. I would guess it never got as far as being signed.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

DJ Particle

Quote from: froggie on November 16, 2018, 12:48:18 PM
65 didn't end at 169.  It turned east on Lake St (concurrent with US 212), then turned north on 3rd Ave to end downtown at 3rd & Washington (US 12/52).

You'd think it would have made more sense, even back then, for US/MN 65 to follow Lyndale > Hennepin > Central    :-D

froggie

Lyndale/Hennepin was a fustercluck even in the '30s.  This allowed 65 traffic in the pre-Interstate area to avoid that mess.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.