News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Why do SO many people hate snow?

Started by Interstate 69 Fan, December 15, 2017, 09:58:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 30, 2017, 04:44:53 PM
Also no snow is safer than snow.

No shit.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

MNHighwayMan

Flint1979

Currently in International Falls it is 20 below with a wind chill of 38 below.

Pete from Boston

I don't mind it, in part because it is, quite frankly, not a solvable problem.  It's like being mad that we don't live forever.

US 89

Quote from: Pete from Boston on December 30, 2017, 08:26:56 PM
I don't mind it, in part because it is, quite frankly, not a solvable problem.  It's like being mad that we don't live forever.

Actually, it is a solvable problem. Just move to Florida, Arizona, or California. :sombrero:

webny99

Quote from: roadguy2 on December 30, 2017, 11:16:21 PM

Actually, it is a solvable problem. Just move to Florida, Arizona, or California. :sombrero:

I wouldn't call that a solution, I'd call that a cop-out  :-D
Moving away from snow doesn't prevent it from falling. Some of us will have to put up with it either way.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: silverback1065 on December 15, 2017, 12:40:05 PM
Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on December 15, 2017, 09:58:18 AM
I mean, sure snow can disrupt and potentially cause you a lot of cash on your way to work, but other than that, why? Personally, I love snow.

the older you get, the more you hate it, when i was your age, i loved it.  i now hate it.  it's cold, likely windy as hell, and it's really not fun to play in, unless you're a ski fan, or winter sports person.  driving in it is the worst too.
Exactly! It"˜ll be -2 in Fort Smith on Monday (according to the NWS)! Talk about freezing your ass off! ❄️❄️❄️

iPhone
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

Pete from Boston

What I meant is that weather is not a solvable problem. Weather is out of your hands no matter what.  Your examples all demonstrate that well.

Flint1979

I'm driving through Bay City Michigan right now the roads are fine everybody's driving slow though pretty much and there is snow on the ground

SAMSUNG-SM-J727A

J N Winkler

I certainly haven't considered moving just to escape weather that is unpleasant for all or part of the year.  I find that places that have year-round pleasant weather also tend to have some combination of a high cost of living or restricted opportunity to attain economic autonomy.  (The two often go together.)

In terms of the car ownership experience, I live in Kansas about 200 miles from the triple point where climate zones Cfa, Dfa, and BSk come together, so I don't have to worry about underbody corrosion from deicing chemicals.  However, the combination of heat and humidity in summer can be very unpleasant in wet years, and with an older car this is a more serious problem at the margin because it is harder to maintain an elderly R-134a air-conditioning system in good working order than it was with R-12.  R-134a is a smaller molecule, so it leaks more easily; it is also a less effective refrigerant, so compressor output tends to become an issue after a couple of decades.

However, in terms of homeownership upper Cfa is better than lower Dfa because of reduced risk of rooftop ice damming from a period of prolonged snowfall.  We have never had this problem here in Wichita, but up in Omaha (300 miles north) a few years ago it led to many homeowners dealing with roof leaks.

Littoral and montane geographies also introduce layers of problems additional to those brought by climate.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Hurricane Rex

The only thing I don't like about snow is how it skrews with my running schedule. If its less than 2 inches with a slight melt, I'm skrewed on that day. If the base is higher, I can just wear my racing spikes to run.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

kkt

We had a thread a while back trying to find an interstate that had never been closed due to snow.  We couldn't find one, without going to Puerto Rico or Hawaii.

US 89

Quote from: kkt on December 31, 2017, 02:44:43 PM

We had a thread a while back trying to find an interstate that had never been closed due to snow.  We couldn't find one, without going to Puerto Rico or Hawaii.

Not even I-2 or I-4?

hotdogPi

Quote from: roadguy2 on December 31, 2017, 02:51:55 PM

Not even I-2 or I-4?

From what I remember, the thread was about whether snow had landed on the Interstate, not whether the road was closed.

Snow has landed on I-4. Snow landed on I-2 before I-2 was designated, but not after (at the time of the thread).
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Flint1979

Not even I-2 or I-4?
I-2 is fairly new. I can't see I-4 being shut down due to snow either. I-10 is another one or how about I-12 in Louisiana?

US 89

Quote from: Flint1979 on December 31, 2017, 02:54:00 PM

Not even I-2 or I-4?
I-2 is fairly new. I can't see I-4 being shut down due to snow either. I-10 is another one or how about I-12 in Louisiana?

I-10 might get a freak snowstorm in the southwest, but I can't see it happening for I-12.

Snowstorms in places that don't often see snow (like the desert southwest--it has happened) are actually more likely to close the road, since those areas aren't used to it, and often won't have snow removal equipment. It's the same reason an inch of snow doesn't bother most people in the northern half of the country, but put that same inch in Atlanta and all hell breaks loose.

kphoger

Not even I-2 or I-4?

I-2 got snow just a few weeks ago.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Flint1979

Quote from: kphoger on December 31, 2017, 03:55:45 PM

Not even I-2 or I-4?

That's crazy was it closed down?

SAMSUNG-SM-J727A

Pete from Boston

Quote from: roadguy2 on December 25, 2017, 01:59:01 AM
Quote from: Hurricane Rex on December 25, 2017, 01:54:59 AM
Quote from: 1 on December 24, 2017, 12:39:46 PM
Quote from: US71 on December 24, 2017, 11:59:31 AM
My problem is people who don't know how to drive in snow.

In most of the southeastern United States, many people don't know how to drive in snow, so the region shuts down.

One could argue that about the west coast as well.

In those areas, the South and southeast in particular, they don't have any snow removal equipment, and no one has front or 4 wheel drive.

Here in Salt Lake City, anyone who's a Utah native knows how to drive in snow. The problem is the SoCal transplants who don't understand that if the road is white, it's not going to have as much traction.

I suspect you don't drive. Nearly all mainstream passenger cars are front wheel drive.

Roadgeekteen

Not even I-2 or I-4?

Really? Was that the first time ever that it got snow?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

webny99

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 31, 2017, 04:59:53 PM
Really? Was that the first time ever that it got snow?
See reply #65. Yes, the area gets snow once in a while, but this is probably the first time since I-2 has been designated.

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

US 89

Quote from: Pete from Boston on December 31, 2017, 04:36:53 PM
Quote from: roadguy2 on December 25, 2017, 01:59:01 AM
Quote from: Hurricane Rex on December 25, 2017, 01:54:59 AM
Quote from: 1 on December 24, 2017, 12:39:46 PM
Quote from: US71 on December 24, 2017, 11:59:31 AM
My problem is people who don't know how to drive in snow.

In most of the southeastern United States, many people don't know how to drive in snow, so the region shuts down.

One could argue that about the west coast as well.

In those areas, the South and southeast in particular, they don’t have any snow removal equipment, and no one has front or 4 wheel drive.

Here in Salt Lake City, anyone who’s a Utah native knows how to drive in snow. The problem is the SoCal transplants who don’t understand that if the road is white, it’s not going to have as much traction.

I suspect you don't drive. Nearly all mainstream passenger cars are front wheel drive.

Actually, I do drive. I was exaggerating about no one having front wheel drive. But as J N Winkler stated upthread, pickup trucks and luxury sedans are often RWD, unless you specifically get a front or 4 wheel option. But if you live in the south, you probably wouldn’t see a need do that.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.