News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Philadelphia

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 03:06:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris19001

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on September 03, 2021, 01:59:44 PM
This is just crazy :bigass:
https://twitter.com/barstoolsports/status/1433617302281465863?s=21
Yeah we have some real deep thinkers here.  When the city floods, all of the sewers mix with the river water.  That guy is jumping into partially diluted raw sewage.  Plus the Schulykill ain't pool water even on a good day.

Mr. Matté

Quote from: Chris19001 on September 03, 2021, 02:25:12 PM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on September 03, 2021, 01:59:44 PM
This is just crazy :bigass:
[tweet]
Yeah we have some real deep thinkers here.  When the city floods, all of the sewers mix with the river water.  That guy is jumping into partially diluted raw sewage.  Plus the Schulykill ain't pool water even on a good day.

It is the same town where the people eat horse crap off the road if the local football squadron wins

Alps

Quote from: Chris19001 on September 03, 2021, 02:25:12 PM
I was gonna say, even when you're just going into the water in Philly, it's pretty much all partially diluted raw sewage anyway.

billpa

Re: 676 (from the Inquirer)

PennDot crews are continuing to pump water from the Vine Street Expressway – mostly on the west end of the I-676 highway – which effectively transformed into a canal this week after the Schuylkill overflowed. Crews are using eight pumps to remove the water and return it to the river, PennDot spokesperson Brad Rudolph said.

Remaining debris and sediment on the highway will be taken to a job site on I-95 and used for fill, he said.

Pixel 2

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

74/171FAN

PennDOT - District 6 News: I-676 East (Vine Street Expressway) Fully Reopened in Center City Philadelphia

Looking at the list, I noticed that I am glad that I clinched PA 263 two weeks ago.  I have no clue when that clinch would have been if I had waited.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

storm2k

Quote from: 74/171FAN on September 28, 2021, 09:14:31 AM
PennDOT - District 6 News: Rebuilt I-95 Southbound Lanes, New Ramp at Girard Avenue Interchange to Open Saturday in Philadelphia

QuoteWednesday, September 29, and Thursday, September 30, from 8:00 PM to 5:00 AM the following morning, lane closures and periodic 15-minute traffic stoppages will be in place on southbound I-95 at various locations between the Betsy Ross Bridge and I-676 interchanges for overhead sign installations;

I presume this means replacing the orange APLs with the final signs which I'm presuming may also be APLs and a return to FHWA Gothic instead of Clearview because PA is trending back away from Clearview for now?

MASTERNC

Quote from: storm2k on September 30, 2021, 12:01:53 AM
PennDOT - District 6 News: Rebuilt I-95 Southbound Lanes, New Ramp at Girard Avenue Interchange to Open Saturday in Philadelphia

QuoteWednesday, September 29, and Thursday, September 30, from 8:00 PM to 5:00 AM the following morning, lane closures and periodic 15-minute traffic stoppages will be in place on southbound I-95 at various locations between the Betsy Ross Bridge and I-676 interchanges for overhead sign installations;

I presume this means replacing the orange APLs with the final signs which I'm presuming may also be APLs and a return to FHWA Gothic instead of Clearview because PA is trending back away from Clearview for now?

There is some new signage visible in this traffic cam grab.  Looks like one sign is in Clearview and the other not?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">YIKES! 95 south before Girard Ave...looks like there&#39;s an accident up ahead. <a href="https://twitter.com/KYWNewsradio?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@KYWNewsradio</a> <a href="https://t.co/lBjc6jhGXv">pic.twitter.com/lBjc6jhGXv</a></p>&mdash; Traffic on the Twos (@KYWRadioTraffic) <a href="https://twitter.com/KYWRadioTraffic/status/1443732314291331073?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 1, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

74/171FAN

odditude

Quote from: MASTERNC on October 01, 2021, 01:07:14 PM
Quote from: storm2k on September 30, 2021, 12:01:53 AM

There is some new signage visible in this traffic cam grab.  Looks like one sign is in Clearview and the other not?

the sign on the right appears to be the one that's been there for a long time and was patched during the early phase that modified the Girard Ave exit - you can still see the greenout patch replacing "Lehigh Ave" with "Delaware Ave".

Tonytone

I have to say now that they opened that SB portion 95 moves so much better at all times.

When the NB portion opens 95 in that area will might actually be slowdown free.
Promoting Cities since 1998!

74/171FAN

PennDOT - District 6 News: I-95 Lane Closures at Night Next Week for Barrier Installation in Penns Landing

I thought that this was one huge project.  It is weird to see the words "high-priority" in this.

74/171FAN

ixnay

Quote from: Tonytone on November 12, 2021, 09:35:58 PM
I have to say now that they opened that SB portion 95 moves so much better at all times.

IOW do we now see the light at the end of the proverbial tunnel as far as the revive-95 project in NE Philly?
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: ixnay on December 08, 2021, 12:35:29 PM
Quote from: Tonytone on November 12, 2021, 09:35:58 PM

IOW do we now see the light at the end of the proverbial tunnel as far as the revive-95 project in NE Philly?

Not even close. This phase is wrapping up; many other phases and contracts to go.

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

PennDOT - District 6 News: I-95 Nighttime Travel Restrictions Next Two Weeks for Construction at Bridge Street Interchange in Philadelphia

QuoteDuring the lane closures next week, northbound traffic will be moved onto the rebuilt northbound lanes as temporary construction barrier is set on the northbound side. The barrier will separate three lanes of northbound traffic from three lanes of southbound traffic on the widened and reconstructed northbound side when three lanes of southbound traffic are shifted to the opposite side following completion of the crossovers early Tuesday, January 11.

Once all traffic is moved to the northbound side to establish a new work zone, reconstruction and widening of the southbound lanes, stage two of the overall project, will begin. Stage two also includes construction of the southbound side of new I-95 bridges over VanKirk and Comly streets.

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

Quote from: 74/171FAN on December 29, 2021, 02:37:19 PM
PennDOT - District 6 News: I-95 Nighttime Travel Restrictions Next Two Weeks for Construction at Bridge Street Interchange in Philadelphia

QuoteDuring the lane closures next week, northbound traffic will be moved onto the rebuilt northbound lanes as temporary construction barrier is set on the northbound side. The barrier will separate three lanes of northbound traffic from three lanes of southbound traffic on the widened and reconstructed northbound side when three lanes of southbound traffic are shifted to the opposite side following completion of the crossovers early Tuesday, January 11.

Once all traffic is moved to the northbound side to establish a new work zone, reconstruction and widening of the southbound lanes, stage two of the overall project, will begin. Stage two also includes construction of the southbound side of new I-95 bridges over VanKirk and Comly streets.

I am unsure where the link is, but this is what I got today via email.

QuotePennDOT - District 6 News: I-95 Double Lane Closures Rescheduled for Wednesday in Northeast Philadelphia

King of Prussia, PA — Northbound and southbound Interstate 95 will be reduced to one lane in each direction between the Bridge Street and Cottman Avenue interchanges in Philadelphia on Wednesday, January 5, from 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM, for construction to establish a new traffic pattern at the northern end of the Bridge Street Interchange, the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) announced today.

The daytime lane restrictions follow the weather-related cancellation of nighttime activities planned on Monday, January 3, and Tuesday, January 4, to begin the set up a new work zone for southbound reconstruction on I-95.

The new work schedule and locations for this week are:

Wednesday, January 5, from 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM, northbound and southbound I-95 will be reduced to one lane for barrier placement and line painting; and
Thursday, January 6, and Friday, January 7, from 7:00 PM to 6:00 AM the following morning, northbound and southbound I-95 will be reduced to one lane for barrier placement and line painting.
During the lane closures, northbound traffic will be moved onto the rebuilt northbound lanes as temporary construction barrier is set on the northbound side. The barrier will separate three lanes of northbound traffic from three lanes of southbound traffic on the widened and reconstructed northbound side when three lanes of southbound traffic are shifted to the opposite side early next week.

Motorists are advised to allow extra time for travel through the work area as backups and delays are expected. All scheduled activities are weather dependent.

The traffic shift marks the substantial completion of the first major stage of PennDOT's $79.7 million I-95 Section BS1 project to reconstruct and improve I-95 from Levick Street to Carver Street, including construction of a long retaining wall along Tacony Street to support northbound widening, the replacement of the bridges carrying northbound I-95 over Van Kirk Street and Comly Street, and installation of an extensive stormwater drainage system. The Section BS1 contract also includes improvements to the parking area, lighting, and landscaping at Lardner's Point Park on the Delaware River near Levick Street. 

Stage two will continue through late 2022. Work on the Section BS1 project began in early spring 2020.

On-off ramps at the I-95/Bridge Street Interchange will remain open during BS1 construction.
Section BS1 is the first of two contracts to reconstruct mainline I-95 at the Bridge Street Interchange. A second mainline reconstruction project at the interchange, Section BS2, is currently in design and will move to construction following completion of Section BS1 in late 2022.

In addition to rebuilding the northbound and southbound lanes of I-95 from Carver Street to Margaret Street, Section BS2 will construct a new replacement interchange located on Tacony Street at the Dietz & Watson/Frankford Boat Launch driveway, where a southbound off-ramp and a northbound on-ramp will be constructed. This is also the location of the proposed Delaware Avenue extension that will be built later under Section BS5.

Motorists can check conditions on more than 40,000 roadway miles, including color-coded winter conditions on 2,900 miles, by visiting www.511PA.com. 511PA, which is free and available 24 hours a day, provides traffic delay warnings, weather forecasts, traffic speed information and access to more than 1,000 traffic cameras.

For a complete list of construction projects impacting state-owned highways in Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery and Philadelphia counties, visit the District 6 Traffic Bulletin.

Subscribe to PennDOT news and traffic alerts in Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery and Philadelphia counties at www.penndot.gov/District6.

Follow PennDOT on Twitter and like the department on Facebook and Instagram.

MEDIA CONTACT: Brad Rudolph, 610-205-6800

74/171FAN

famartin

OK, so I grew up in the Philly suburbs and watched Philly news always refer to downtown as "Center City". Yet, I never see a sign that says "Center City", just "Central Philadelphia". Is there a reason for this? Do they feel "Center City" is too unhelpful to the non-locals and "Center City Philadelphia" is too long for signs, so they adjust it to "Central Philadelphia" even though no one calls it that?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.