News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Mileage Sign Smashed

Started by KillerTux, July 20, 2010, 07:25:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KillerTux

bugo

I guess we're not the only ones who hate clearview.

agentsteel53

did someone actually smash it, with hammers or whatnot, or did a truck happen to drive in the #6 lane when only four lanes were available?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Scott5114

Lane numbering starts with #1 closest to the median, so the truck would have had to be driving in the #0 lane :pan:
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

agentsteel53

really, the sign was in the left median?  I distinctly remember it being on the right shoulder.  I believe it was Clearview by 2006, but definitely on the right side.

(work firewall blocks the picture, so I can't tell what it looks like.)

jake@aaroads.com

Alex

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 27, 2010, 04:54:30 PM
really, the sign was in the left median?  I distinctly remember it being on the right shoulder.  I believe it was Clearview by 2006, but definitely on the right side.

(work firewall blocks the picture, so I can't tell what it looks like.)

It was installed by 2004, and was the first time I saw a Clearview sign posted in Maryland.

agentsteel53

that's the one... I remember the mileages coming out to convenient-looking multiples of 100.  Is that even accurate, or did MD DOT just get lazy and refuse to call up all the other DOTs between them and Utah to get the exact total?

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

How could that possibly be accurate?  And why is St. Louis 845 but Denver and Cove Fort are unreasonable?

hbelkins

This sign was definitely not up when I drove I-70 west from the Park and Ride to Breezewood back in June.

And to answer the question the original link posed, apparently Clearview went over pretty well because it's all over Maryland now.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

MDRoads

As long as I remember the sign being up, it's been in the center median.

Quote from: hbelkins on August 01, 2010, 07:40:55 PM
And to answer the question the original link posed, apparently Clearview went over pretty well because it's all over Maryland now.

It's gone over well, but maybe less so with the folks fabricating the signs.  Recently I had a chance to visit the MD SHA sign shop, and they mentioned the extra step with Clearview's variable spacing guidelines, while FHWA fonts have a standard grid.

MDRoads

Figure I'd check Google Maps on the mileage, and it's showing exactly 400 to Columbus from that spot, but using I-470 past Wheeling.  It won't route me through the Wheeling Tunnel (forcing me onto US 40 north around it-is there a closure there?)  Even with that detour added in, it's 401 miles. Subtracting 0.8 to remove the endgame in Columbus (from I-70 to the center of town), roughly evens out at 400.

St. Louis comes in at 816 miles, Denver 1662, Cove Fort 2169.

agentsteel53

those are very much off the mark!  they must have been estimates.

jake@aaroads.com

WillWeaverRVA

Just for fun:

I was able to get 838 mi in Google Maps by (for some reason) using I-270 and I-170 to bypass St. Louis to the north, then backtrack on I-70 toward downtown. I have no idea why anyone would do this, though.

I managed to get to 1,697 miles to Denver (to be precise, the Colorado State Capitol), but only by "bypassing" nearly every city between Baltimore and Denver using 3dis and using I-68 to I-79 rather than the PA Tpk, then using I-25.

Same approach gets me to 2,200 mi to Cove Fort (specifically, the end of the ramp to I-15 SB), but the route goes through Kansas City rather than using a 3di to bypass it.

These aren't great, but hey, I was bored (waiting for a computer process to finish running and I have nothing else to do! :P). But it does show that while the estimates are close (they're just the real distances rounded up to the next 100, except for Denver), it would take some routing weirdness to get to those locations in exactly those distances.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Laura

I remember that sign being up when I was younger...in the median...with highway gothic font. I have a very clear memory of driving past there not long after getting my license (2003.) No idea when they replaced it with Clearview.

thenetwork

"....And we'll continue to 'dismantle' all long-distance mileage signs until the mileage is accurate (BWAAHAHAHHAHAHAAA!)"

-- Anonymous

Scott5114

Oh god, if Anonymous really gave a shit about accuracy of mileage signs, the DOTs would be screwed...
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Ian

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 07, 2010, 12:32:24 AM
Oh god, if Anonymous really gave a shit about accuracy of mileage signs, the DOTs would be screwed...

I don't really care too much for the accuracy of the mileage. I just thought the sign was cool nonetheless.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

kj3400

Quote from: PennDOTFan on August 07, 2010, 12:38:13 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on August 07, 2010, 12:32:24 AM

I don't really care too much for the accuracy of the mileage. I just thought the sign was cool nonetheless.

It was very impressive, but I think they should've put Frederick on there for comparison.
Call me Kenny/Kenneth. No, seriously.

MDRoads

I noticed this past weekend, the mileage sign (or a new one) is going up on an overhead assembly along with some other signs; it'll be hoisted into place soon.

Michael in Philly

Quote from: MDRoads on August 20, 2010, 11:05:46 PM
I noticed this past weekend, the mileage sign (or a new one) is going up on an overhead assembly along with some other signs; it'll be hoisted into place soon.

I was about to post that I was on I-70 from Frederick to the Beltway late this afternoon.  I was going eastbound but I was on the lookout for the sign, and I believe I saw it on an overhead.  I would take our two posts put together as reasonable evidence that it's in fact up.  Woohoo!
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

agentsteel53

a distance sign like that in an overhead context?  Is that unique in the country?

the east end of US-50 has a single mileage (Sacramento 3073) on an overhead gantry, but to have multiple distances like that on an overhead is a California thing, and no overhead sign in California has distances greater than what is "reasonable".  Offhand, the largest distance I can think of is Lake Tahoe City on US-50 in Sacramento at something like 98 miles.  There may be one in the Bay Area for Los Angeles on 101, maybe.

So to have 2600 miles on an overhead sign must certainly be unique.

jake@aaroads.com

MDRoads

Quote from: Michael in Philly on August 22, 2010, 11:57:40 PM

I was about to post that I was on I-70 from Frederick to the Beltway late this afternoon.  I was going eastbound but I was on the lookout for the sign, and I believe I saw it on an overhead.  I would take our two posts put together as reasonable evidence that it's in fact up.  Woohoo!

I got it westbound this afternoon today... we might have crossed.

Alex

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 23, 2010, 12:05:41 AM
a distance sign like that in an overhead context?  Is that unique in the country?

the east end of US-50 has a single mileage (Sacramento 3073) on an overhead gantry, but to have multiple distances like that on an overhead is a California thing, and no overhead sign in California has distances greater than what is "reasonable".  Offhand, the largest distance I can think of is Lake Tahoe City on US-50 in Sacramento at something like 98 miles.  There may be one in the Bay Area for Los Angeles on 101, maybe.

So to have 2600 miles on an overhead sign must certainly be unique.

It happens occasionally, but not often. There are a few mileage signs posted on sign bridges in southern Virginia for instance:

TheStranger

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 23, 2010, 12:05:41 AM
There may be one in the Bay Area for Los Angeles on 101, maybe.

404 miles from Mountain View/San Jose, right around the time the control city switches from San Jose to Los Angeles.

https://www.aaroads.com/california/images101/us-101_sb_exit_400b_01.jpg

Interestingly, since US 101 reaches downtown Los Angeles at the Four-Level (exit 4A/4B), this actually means that the milage sign is about 8 miles off!
Chris Sampang

agentsteel53

Quote from: TheStranger on August 23, 2010, 11:37:27 AM

404 miles from Mountain View/San Jose, right around the time the control city switches from San Jose to Los Angeles.

https://www.aaroads.com/california/images101/us-101_sb_exit_400b_01.jpg

that is side-of-the-road, not overhead.  there's one on 80 that has the distance to Truckee (66 miles; the sign is in Colfax, I believe) but other than that and the South Lake Tahoe sign they tend to be pretty uncommon.  Most of the time the overheads list the mileages to upcoming exits.

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.