Intersections where both roads change names

Started by webny99, January 11, 2018, 03:57:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Since we've started including number changes (and not just name changes):

I-10 near Slidell, LA does this. Eastbound (actually northbound) becomes I-59, and westbound becomes I-12. It's not four different numbers, but both "through" routes change numbers, so it counts. Any others?

michravera

Quote from: webny99 on January 11, 2018, 03:57:58 PM
This happens less often than you might think.
Here for example, all four directions have a different road name, though the NY 286 designation stays throughout on the east-west route.

Another fun fact is that Browncroft Blvd changes name back to Atlantic Ave again several miles west in the city of Rochester.
Lots of near misses in Sacramento, especially along Folsom Blvd and 14th Ave. Numbered streets are displaced about 50 meters requiring a Z-turn to stay on a street with the same number. There is often a named street between the two adjacently numbered streets into which one might accidentally turn (and those names are different on each side of the Blvd).  But the champions are going to happen along Broadway and Stockton Blvd and Alhambra Blvd. ... and this doesn't even consider any of the streets that make right-angle turns and keep the same name.

lordsutch

A few Macon examples:

Here's a six-way intersection where there are 5 street names; only one street continues through the intersection with the same name.

Four streets, four names - Mercer University Drive becomes Little Richard Penniman Boulevard at the same intersection College Street becomes Plant Street.

This mess, planned to be replaced with a roundabout, is the intersection of Pio Nono Avenue (for some reason, the Confederacy was big on Pope Pius IX despite not being all that big on Catholics in general), Houston Road, Houston Avenue, and Broadway.

NWI_Irish96

This may not quite fit the definition, but in LaPorte County, IN, US 20 and IN 2 meet at an intersection where in all four directions you switch from one highway to the other by going straight, and you stay on the same highway by turning.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Hurricane Rex

Are 3 way intersectuons allowed instead of the usual 4 way?
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

davewiecking

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8983281,-77.1201922,18z

This instance was the first one that popped into my mind. EB US-29 enters the intersection from the SW as Lee Highway, and exits to the NE as Old Dominion Drive. EB VA-309 enters from the NW as Old Dominion Drive, and exits to the east as Lee Highway.

PurdueBill

Quote from: PHLBOS on January 18, 2018, 10:05:38 AM

Another one in Peabody, MA (Central, Foster, Lowell & Main Sts.)

Peabody Square was the first thought I had on this.  It is interesting that Central St. finds its other end at another 4-way change of names, also mentioned above.

Tallmadge Circle (in Tallmadge, Ohio) takes it to the extreme with the eight streets all meeting there with their directional names.  I am not sure if it is really in the spirit of this but I think it barely is because it isn't like East Main St. becoming West Main St. at the zero block; it's East Ave. continuing 180 degrees across the circle as West Ave., a totally different name.  (The eight roads that all meet at the circle are North Ave, Northwest Ave, West Ave, etc. etc...not creative but barely within the parameters because the compass directions are the names themselves and not prefixes or suffixes to another name.)

webny99

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on February 21, 2018, 11:37:30 PM
Are 3 way intersectuons allowed instead of the usual 4 way?

As I said above, 3-way intersections can't possibly have two name changes. Feel free to share some examples anyways, but they don't count as cases where both roads change names.

brad

Quote from: webny99 on January 11, 2018, 09:10:23 PM
Quote from: paulthemapguy on January 11, 2018, 09:07:23 PM
I THINK this counts, in Oswego, IL
North:  Route 34
South: Route 71
West:  Chicago Rd
East: Wolf's Crossing Rd

It definitely counts, but just for interests sake, do the routes also have road names?

Eh....not really. North and West are Route 34. https://www.google.com/maps/@41.6870459,-88.3396512,312m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Side note, that's an f-ed up intersection with unnecessary dedicated signals east and west. There are others nearby. Downtown Oswego has a fetish for dedicated signals.

TheHighwayMan3561

Duluth, near the mall:
Trinity Road <-> Joshua Ave
Central Entrance Drive <-> Miller Trunk Highway
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

US71

Fayetteville, AR

Stone St<-->California Blvd (now Clinton Blvd)

S Garland Ave <-->Virginia Ave (both replaced by Stadium Dr)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on February 23, 2018, 08:34:49 PM
Duluth, near the mall:
Trinity Road <-> Joshua Ave
Central Entrance Drive <-> Miller Trunk Highway

Isn't it just Central Entrance? That's what the signs say, anyway.

Rothman

Locals also just refer to it as "Central Entrance."
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

TheHighwayMan3561

CE Drive is its formal name, but the only place you'll see it now is on older street blades particularly on the former section of MN 194 east of where modern MN 194 turns onto Mesaba.

That intersection was a near-miss for this thread as the Central Entrance designation only continues a short ways before turning into 6th Avenue East.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

BakoCondors

Bakersfield, CA, in the shadow of the 99-58 flyover, Oak Street, Wible Road, Stockdale Highway and Brundage Lane meet at a single intersection.

webny99

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on February 26, 2018, 08:57:15 PM
That intersection was a near-miss for this thread as the Central Entrance designation only continues a short ways before turning into 6th Avenue East.

If I understand correctly, the intersection would count regardless, as none of the other approaches are named 6th Ave.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: webny99 on March 02, 2018, 10:52:45 PM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on February 26, 2018, 08:57:15 PM
If I understand correctly, the intersection would count regardless, as none of the other approaches are named 6th Ave.

The funny thing is, even if Miller Trunk Hwy is its formal name, it's not signed as such there. At least, not so at the very intersection TheHighwayMan394 mentions, as the mast arm street blades didn't mention it when I was out there in August last year. The signals of the intersection, in an album.

WNYroadgeek

Maybe a little debatable due to the north/south names, but here's Robinson Rd/Dysinger Rd/Beattie Ave/Old Beattie Rd in Lockport, NY: https://goo.gl/maps/S7WcVLNDCd22

EDIT: And here's Warner Rd/Burlington Ave/Ellicott Pl/Olmstead Ave in Lancaster, NY: https://goo.gl/maps/d6KqFCJx5X42

EDIT: I'm not 100% sure if this is exactly where the north/south names change, but here's Big Tree Rd/Varysburg Rd/Alleghany Rd/Cattaraugus Rd in Sheldon, NY: https://goo.gl/maps/m1Mza4PSzkQ2

Bickendan

I'd think this is very common in Europe, where street names change with high frequency.

Mr. ENC

silverback1065

in indy there's an intersection that on the west is 56th street, the north it's cooper road, the south it's kessler blvd north drive, and the east side it's kessler blvd west drive

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: Bickendan on March 06, 2018, 11:15:08 AM
I'd think this is very common in Europe, where street names change with high frequency.

Yup. I know three instances of this in a straight line. This happens in Zaragoza, Spain: https://www.google.es/maps/@41.6455403,-0.9000919,17z

- Paseo de Teruel changes its name to Avenida de Valencia. In the same intersection Avenida Francisco de Goya splits into Calle de Escoriaza y Fabro and Calle (sometimes Avenida) de Jose Anselmo Clave for a five way example.
- Further up the road, Avenida de Valencia becomes Calle de San Juan Bosco. At the same time, Calle de Franco y Lopez becomes Calle Corona de Aragon.
- And even further up the road, Calle de San Juan Bosco gets renamed for the third time to Avenida de Gomez Laguna, and the intersecting Via Universitas becomes Calle Violante de Hungria.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

TheStranger

Quote from: webny99 on January 17, 2018, 05:25:34 PM
Quote from: ilpt4u on January 17, 2018, 04:15:18 PM
I'm lobbing a softball here...

Downtown Chicago, at the Jane Byrne Circle Interchange...

Kennedy Expressway to the North (90/94); Ryan Expressway to the South (90/94); Eisenhower Expressway to the West (290); Congress Parkway to the East/South Loop, Chicago

:hmmm: I guess it counts, although, I was certainly thinking of at-grade intersections in my OP.
I don't think we'll find many cases like that one. Many freeways don't have names at all, much less names that are widely used, and on all four approaches, too. I wouldn't be surprised if that is the only one in the US, unless there are others in the Chicago area that I'm not aware of.

The one that came to mind when I saw this thread:

At the Four-Level interchange in downtown Los Angeles, the Harbor Freeway mainline feeds directly into the Arroyo Seco Parkway (Pasadena Freeway) while the Hollywood Freeway transitions into the Santa Ana Freeway seamlessly.  Something to note: the Santa Ana/Hollywood name change originally happened further east, but was moved to the interchange when it was opened in the early 1950s.

Though there are only two numbered routes at the interchange these days (US 101, and I-110/Route 110), in the past there were multiple transitions: US 66 switching from the Hollywood to the Arroyo Seco, US 99 connecting from the Arroyo Seco to the Santa Ana, while US 6/Route 11 pretty much followed the same route as today's 110. (US 101 is the only number and routing that has remained unchanged through the entire history of the junction)
Chris Sampang

ftballfan

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on March 09, 2018, 05:42:20 AM
Quote from: Bickendan on March 06, 2018, 11:15:08 AM

Yup. I know three instances of this in a straight line. This happens in Zaragoza, Spain: https://www.google.es/maps/@41.6455403,-0.9000919,17z

- Paseo de Teruel changes its name to Avenida de Valencia. In the same intersection Avenida Francisco de Goya splits into Calle de Escoriaza y Fabro and Calle (sometimes Avenida) de Jose Anselmo Clave for a five way example.
- Further up the road, Avenida de Valencia becomes Calle de San Juan Bosco. At the same time, Calle de Franco y Lopez becomes Calle Corona de Aragon.
- And even further up the road, Calle de San Juan Bosco gets renamed for the third time to Avenida de Gomez Laguna, and the intersecting Via Universitas becomes Calle Violante de Hungria.

Found a five-way change not far from this.
Paseo Maria Agustin becomes Paseo Pamplona, while Calle Hernan Cortes becomes Avenida de Cesar Augusto. In addition, Calle Canfranc begins at this intersection

Zmapper

Fort Collins, Colorado: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.5871814,-105.0731137,17.23z

Riverside turns into Jefferson, Mountain turns into Lincoln.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.