News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Two Lane Roads That Need Four

Started by webny99, February 05, 2018, 08:58:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JREwing78

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 15, 2018, 08:05:47 AM
Speaking of Wisconsin what's the traffic count on US 2 coming from the Michigan state line?   Sure seemed like US 2 ought to be four lanes west of US 51.

You can check out Wisconsin statewide traffic counts here:
https://trust.dot.state.wi.us/roadrunner/

Just west of the US-2/US-51 interchange outside of Hurley and Ironwood, traffic counts are 3900-4600 vpd. You'd have a better chance at selling a widening west of Ashland, with 5500 to 7500 vpd - or on par with US-53 traffic counts between Spooner and US-2. I suspect commercial vehicle traffic is higher on US-53, what with the direct connection it makes to I-94 from Superior. However, WisDOT doesn't make that info easy to find.

SectorZ

Quote from: Ben114 on December 31, 2018, 09:38:29 AM
US-20 from MA 12 in Auburn to I-90/MA 146 in Millbury

I'd say farther eastward to 9 could work there for safety/traffic related reasons as well, providing it's not four-laned like the Brimfield to Oxford stretch that is a complete death trap.

ipeters61

I forgot to mention another one: NJ-47 between NJ-55 and Rio Grande.

I remember many summers with my family driving to the Jersey shore and it was such a bottleneck, the whole way.
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

mrsman

CA-118 between CA-23 and CA-126 in Ventura County should be 4 lanes as well.  It can provide a great connector from Ventura to the Simi Valley area and take some traffic off the 101, especially for those heading to the northern sections of LA county.

sparker

Back in my first reply in this thread (#12), I cited CA 12 from Suisun City east to Rio Vista as worthy of 4 lanes.  That was a bit short of useful; would result in congestion in central Rio Vista as traffic merged into a single lane to cross the Sacramento River on the existing drawbridge.  Either that bridge needs twinning -- or replacement by a new structure (fanciful concept: bypass Rio Vista with a 4-lane expressway + a cable-stay high level bridge and leave the present structure for CA 84 and/or local use).  Then upgrade the rest of CA 12 at least to I-5 (and maybe CA 99) to a similar facility. 

And as long as CA 25 and 152 are being expanded (see the cited reply above), similarly upgrade CA 156 between CA 152 and US 101 and US 101 and CA 1; it sees heavy use for traffic from the Valley over to the Monterey Peninsula.

Ben114

The entire very-short MA 140/30 concurrency in North Grafton, that is a mess.

Gnutella

In Georgia, all the U.S. highways connecting to Athens all need to be widened to four lanes, since Athens is the largest city in the South with no direct Interstate access. This includes U.S. 29 from Hull to the South Carolina state line (or at least  Royston), U.S. 78 from Athens to Thomson, and U.S. 129 from Gray to Watkinsville (including the U.S. 441 concurrency from Eatonton to Watkinsville). Good news is, the brief two-lane segment of U.S. 129 from Pendergrass to near Gainesville is currently being widened to four lanes, which will make for very easy travel between Athens and Gainesville.

PHLBOS

PA 41 between US 1 & US 30.

A relatively new one that could've IMHO been avoided: the US 202 Parkway between Montgomeryville & Doylestown. 
While I can understand the reasoning behind not building such as a 4-lane expressway as originally planned (the opposition of such was actually from those that lived north of the existing US 202 expressway/bypass); but PennDOT could've at least made the entire parkway 4-lanes rather than at the intersections and approaching the PA 611 interchange.

MA 114 between US 1 and MA 125.

US 20 between MA 169 & MA 31.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

ipeters61

Quote from: PHLBOS on February 26, 2019, 10:10:55 AM
A relatively new one that could've IMHO been avoided: the US 202 Parkway between Montgomeryville & Doylestown. 
While I can understand the reasoning behind not building such as a 4-lane expressway as originally planned (the opposition of such was actually from those that lived north of the existing US 202 expressway/bypass); but PennDOT could've at least made the entire parkway 4-lanes rather than at the intersections and approaching the PA 611 interchange.
I did a Norristown/Doylestown commute on that road for about a month.  I couldn't agree more.
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

sparker

And one more to add to the Central California commute-affected list:  CA 120 from CA 99 to at least Oakdale (which is starting to see exurban housing development) -- one of the most white-knuckle drives around due to turning trucks and cross traffic (mostly near Escalon, which deserves a bypass!).  Ideally, extending 4 lanes out past Oakdale and connecting with the existing divided stretch shared with CA 108 all the way to the 108/120 "split" would be a godsend to recreational traffic to Yosemite and Sonora. 

Zeffy

Yes PLEASE. Everything south of the expressway portion in Doylestown should be 2 lanes. I have taken to using business 202 as a way around it most of the time.

Another one that comes to mind is the entire stretch of US 206 from Princeton to Bridgewater in New Jersey... literally maddening.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

PHLBOS

Quote from: Zeffy on February 26, 2019, 06:41:01 PM

Yes PLEASE. Everything south of the expressway portion in Doylestown should be 2 4 lanes.
FTFY
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.