News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-43 vs. I-39

Started by Alps, August 18, 2011, 11:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Apropos to the Wausau meet, which would be a better corridor to follow, 43 or 39? 43 lets me see the interchanges in Milwaukee, 39 lets me see Madison (where I believe there is still a very old shield assembly? someone please confirm/deny). Either way I'd clinch the entire highway in the state.

hbelkins

If I do Wausau, I plan to take 39 all the way north (clinching it) and then after the meet east toward Green Bay. Then I'm going to take 43 south all the way (which puts me back on 39 briefly) and I can then clinch I-90 in Illinois and when I get to I-65 to head south, I will also have clinched 90 in Indiana.

I'll be anxiously awaiting the replies here.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

oscar

Quote from: hbelkins on August 19, 2011, 12:02:57 AM
If I do Wausau, I plan to take 39 all the way north (clinching it) and then after the meet east toward Green Bay. Then I'm going to take 43 south all the way (which puts me back on 39 briefly) and I can then clinch I-90 in Illinois and when I get to I-65 to head south, I will also have clinched 90 in Indiana.

Try to snag Door County, on the peninsula NE of Green Bay, while you're out there.  Since it isn't on the way to anywhere else, it's high on the list of hard-to-clinch counties in the lower 48.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Brandon

Take one up (I-43 to Wis-29) and take the other (I-39/US-51) back.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Alex

Quote from: oscar on August 19, 2011, 06:38:00 AM

Try to snag Door County, on the peninsula NE of Green Bay, while you're out there.  Since it isn't on the way to anywhere else, it's high on the list of hard-to-clinch counties in the lower 48.

And for the distance you need to spoke to get it, Wisconsin 57 is a 65-mph expressway.  :nod:

mgk920

Me?  Neither - I would use US 41 from metro Milwaukee to the Appleton area, US 10 to Stevens Point and I-39 to Wausau.

:sombrero:

If you insist on taking I-39, IMHO, northbound is better than southbound (NB I-39 at Westfield is a neat drive).  Also, there is a 'missing move' at the US 41/US 10 interchange in the Appleton area (no direct ramp from NB US 41 to WB US 10) and the US 45 freeway between US 10 at Winchester and US 41 at Oshkosh is still down due to interchange reconstruction at US 41 in Oshkosh.

LOTS of construction geekery on the US 41/10 routing, too!

US 10 between Appleton and Stevens Point is one of my favorite drives in the entire State of Wisconsin, too.

Also, taking US 41 from Milwaukee also allows the option to check out the US 41/WI 29 construction-geek zone in the Green Bay area.

Mike

triplemultiplex

If you're goal is to clinch 43 and 39 during this trip, take 39 north and 43 back south.  The ramp following I-43 NB through the Mitchell Interchange is closed until later this year.  Otherwise follow Mike's recommendation for better roadgeekery.

Interesting to note that the portions of highway people cite as pleasurable to drive all run through the Johnstown Moraine, the eastern-most advance of the Green Bay lobe, running from the Portage area to Oneida County.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Alps

I'll only get to clinch one, because my return trip is through the UP. That said, please let me know what closures there are in the Milwaukee area. I can easily reroute around the Mitchell Interchange because I'll want to clinch 119 and 794 as well as 894 - they make a nice little loop I can take either direction. But I know there are multiple construction projects there. US 41's not in the equation, though I'm aware of the construction.

rawmustard

Quote from: Steve on August 18, 2011, 11:15:23 PM
39 lets me see Madison (where I believe there is still a very old shield assembly? someone please confirm/deny).

There's a few dandy assemblies (don't know how "old" they are) around the capitol (shields on white IIRC  ETA: or maybe I was thinking of Davenport the next day, where I took one photo which is still on my phone's microSD card), and of course there's this assembly going past campus (it's just to the north of Camp Randall Stadium).

agentsteel53

Quote from: rawmustard on August 20, 2011, 04:14:31 PM

There's a few dandy assemblies (don't know how "old" they are) around the capitol (shields on white IIRC), and of course there's this assembly going past campus (it's just to the north of Camp Randall Stadium).

the shields are, I believe, 1965 or so spec.  maybe as old as 1962.  they stopped putting the extra border around 1972, and deleted the US by 1981.

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

InterstateNG

Quote from: rawmustard on August 20, 2011, 04:14:31 PM
Quote from: Steve on August 18, 2011, 11:15:23 PM
39 lets me see Madison (where I believe there is still a very old shield assembly? someone please confirm/deny).

There's a few dandy assemblies (don't know how "old" they are) around the capitol (shields on white IIRC), and of course there's this assembly going past campus (it's just to the north of Camp Randall Stadium).

I found the area around the capitol difficult to navigate by car.

Lots of construction up by Camp Randall, as your photo suggests.
I demand an apology.

rawmustard

Quote from: InterstateNG on August 20, 2011, 05:59:09 PM
I found the area around the capitol difficult to navigate by car.

Lots of construction up by Camp Randall, as your photo suggests.
I know I had to make an extra lap before making my turn towards the university. I timed it so I could eat breakfast downtown, take a look around (Capitol Square filled up quick when its Saturday farmers market started at 7), then leave my space before meters were enforced at 8. I then could gradually make my way towards Middleton before National Mustard Day festivities started at 10. The construction on the part of University bypassed by Campus Drive had traffic running eastbound only, or else I would've driven that.

Alps

Sounds like I should see Madison now and do Milwaukee/Green Bay next year. Alright!

SEWIGuy

I grew up in Madison and those button-copy shields have been there ever since I can remember. 

on_wisconsin

Also once you get west of Fish Hatchery Rd on the Beltline you are in button copy land (or as close as you'll get to it in Wisconsin).
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

Alps

Quote from: on_wisconsin on August 30, 2011, 01:29:19 PM
Also once you get west of Fish Hatchery Rd on the Beltline you are in button copy land (or as close as you'll get to it in Wisconsin).

Now THAT is news to me. Did not know there was any in WI. How far does button copy land extend? Does it hit the side roads?

on_wisconsin

Quote from: Steve on August 30, 2011, 09:43:03 PMNow THAT is news to me. Did not know there was any in WI. How far does button copy land extend? Does it hit the side roads?
From University Ave to Fish Hatch; to get the most buttons for your drive I would drive south (east) from University to Verona Rd and then west from Fish Hatchery Rd to University. I do not believe there is any BC on any of the side roads in the area however. MadDOT is usually very good about keeping there signs up to date (those Campus Drive/ Uni Ave signs not with standing).
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

Jordanah1

Quote from: oscar on August 19, 2011, 06:38:00 AM

i have alot of family in the sturgeon bay area, and am privledged to drive that road several times a year, it is really a wonderful stretch of road, at some points there are some nice views of the bay of green bay.
"Oshkosh"- "Oh, you mean like 'Oshkosh BGosh'?"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.