News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Skelly Drive: final alignment of US 66

Started by bugo, December 30, 2014, 02:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

I have some Facebookers who have never heard about US 66 being signed along I-44. It was signed between sometime in 1957 until sometime in 1985, a stretch of 28 years. I think they don't want to believe that Skelly was ever the "real" US 66. These maps clearly show US 66 plexed with I-44 and OK 33. Tell me what you think.

And these phototographs:

Would my evidence be enough to convince the judge?

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

bugo

Quote from: NE2 on December 30, 2014, 03:15:34 PM
No, because Faceboogers are dumb.

I already have a response in mind for when she says "but but it's not route [sic] 66!

Scott5114

Huh, I never knew Oklahoma used outline shields. Of course, SH-33 is an outline but SH-51 isn't. And check out that "y" on "Okla. City" in photograph 2. Oklahoma was apparently Oklahoma, even in the 60s.

Don't bother trying to convince the Facebook crowd of anything.  Half of them probably think US-66 is still active and signed with shields with Route as the state name.

What I want to know is, what the hell is going on with US-75 and US-169 in that first map?? I have never been able to parse US-169's history in Tulsa as anything remotely comprehensible (thus why US-169 has no history on Wikipedia).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

bugo

I presented these maps and pictures to the lady and she thanked me and we had a long conversation about US 66 and other old highways in the area.

bugo

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 30, 2014, 07:41:14 PM
What I want to know is, what the hell is going on with US-75 and US-169 in that first map?? I have never been able to parse US-169's history in Tulsa as anything remotely comprehensible (thus why US-169 has no history on Wikipedia).

The US 169 shield next to Riverside Drive is a mapo. When I get time, I'll do some research for you.

NE2

Quote from: bugo on December 31, 2014, 06:47:26 AM
The US 169 shield next to Riverside Drive is a mapo.
[citation needed]
You realize it has an arrow pointing to 23rd, right?

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

bugo

Quote from: NE2 on December 31, 2014, 07:38:56 AM
[citation needed]

It's hard for me to tell with the shitty scan. My eyes aren't what they used to be.

rte66man

Quote from: NE2 on December 31, 2014, 07:38:56 AM
[citation needed]

NE2 is correct.  At that time, 169 turned east off SW Blvd along 23rd St, across the Arkansas River, then angled north along Boulder to 15th, then east to Peoria, then north as shown on the map.

rte66man
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

bugo

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 30, 2014, 07:41:14 PM

I'm going through old ODOT maps and documents and meeting minutes and gathering information as we speak. I've spent several hours on it and I'm not done. I'm going to forward Scott the information and he will write the Wikipedia article on it. I did find some interesting information that I wasn't aware of.

adventurernumber1

Personally I think US 64's entire routing through the Tulsa Metro Area is a little on the wild side  :-D

All the concurrencies and turns (not really the amount of them as much as how odd they are; for example when US 64 is going south, then briefly multiplexes with OK 364 going west, then splitting from OK 364 to go south, then it heads east again towards eastern Oklahoma), when I first learned about US 64's route through Tulsa looking at Google Maps the other day (as well as my Rand McNally for additional route confirmation), it took me a while to comprehend its entire routing through the area  :-D

Also, for any Facebookers who may think US 66 is still alive and signed across the country, show them the Pixar movie Cars...  :thumbsup: :rofl:
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

NE2

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on January 02, 2015, 12:07:16 AM
Also, for any Facebookers who may think US 66 is still alive and signed across the country, show them the Pixar movie Cars...
You mean the movie where he says "it's still here"?

bugo

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on January 02, 2015, 12:07:16 AM
Personally I think US 64's entire routing through the Tulsa Metro Area is a little on the wild side

All the concurrencies and turns (not really the amount of them as much as how odd they are; for example when US 64 is going south, then briefly multiplexes with OK 364 going west, then splitting from OK 364 to go south, then it heads east again towards eastern Oklahoma), when I first learned about US 64's route through Tulsa looking at Google Maps the other day (as well as my Rand McNally for additional route confirmation), it took me a while to comprehend its entire routing through the area  :-D

Check out my blog for a post about this very subject. It should clear things up a bit:

http://bugo348.blogspot.com/2010/05/us-64-tulsas-redheaded-stepchild.html

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.