News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

NW North Dakota bypasses (Watford City, Alexander, New Town)

Started by yakra, November 19, 2014, 12:53:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yakra

Watford City:
The Watford City bypass opened at the end of October. US 85 is rerouted onto the southwest bypass, with the old route becoming US 85 Business.
I presume that ND 23 is rerouted onto the southeast bypass. My question is, what becomes of the existing ND23 into downtown Watford City, and ND 23 Truck?

Alexander:
US85 is rerouted onto a western bypass of Alexander. A business route via the old alignment has been approved by AASHTO.
If the Goog is to be believed (and here I don't see why not) ND 200 has been rerouted onto the bypass too. So, is US 85 Bus US 85 Bus only, or is it also a ND 200A, ND 200 Alt, ND 200Bus, or something?

New Town:
As of November 17, 2014, the New Town Truck Reliever Route is now open.
Is the Truck Reliever Route ND 1804 Truck? ND 1804 proper? ND 1804 Alt / ND 1804A? Something else? Nothing?
Is the old/existing route of ND 1804 thru town still ND 1804 proper? ND 1804 Bus, Alt, A, other, nothing?

-----

I'm not aware of any precedent for ND state highway business routes. Though there is one ND23 Truck (as signed in the field. OSM and even NDDOT maps show it as ND 23A) and a couple ND 200A / 200 Alts.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Stephane Dumas

Interesting to note then US-85 Watford City bypass is a 4-lanes divided highway. Is there some long-term plans to upgrade some parts of US-85 as a 4-lanes divided highway between US-2 and I-90 since Google maps refers it as Theodore Roosevelt expressway?

corco

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on December 23, 2014, 02:31:01 PM
Interesting to note then US-85 Watford City bypass is a 4-lanes divided highway. Is there some long-term plans to upgrade some parts of US-85 as a 4-lanes divided highway between US-2 and I-90 since Google maps refers it as Theodore Roosevelt expressway?

If oil prices go back up to where it's actually profitable to produce in the Bakken, perhaps. If they stay this low, that's not in the cards anytime soon. I do a lot of planning/infrastructure related work on the Montana side of the line and things are getting to the point where the region is starting to prepare for bust, or at least a year or two of nothing. That being said, if it's going to be a year or two of nothing with folks out of work, it might be a good time to play catch-up to get things built at some semblance of a discount to the taxpayer relative to the current insane labor prices in the region (right now, for instance, it's nearly impossible to find somebody to work on county road crews- even they've upped their pay in cases to $20+/hr, but why would anybody do that when they can work for the oil fields and make twice that...but the tax dollars don't flow back the other way to support paying county road crews $20/hr even though the roads are being eaten alive by heavy machinery).

froggie

Still, looking at aerial imagery plus this NDDOT project page shows that they're in the process of widening US 85 from US 2/Williston south to Watford City, including the aforementioned Watford City and Alexander bypasses.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.