News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Austin: section of SH 130 (toll) to be widened

Started by MaxConcrete, November 07, 2016, 08:58:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaxConcrete

The section to be widened is between SH 71 and SH 45, from southeast Austin to Pflugerville. It currently has four main lanes and will be widened to six by 2020. Wth all the growth in Austin and escalating housing prices closer to central Austin, it makes sense that development of affordable housing and its associated traffic has occurred along SH 130. The three direct connection ramps, being built in a separate project at US 290 and SH 130, are quite expensive at $130 million.

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/news/transportation/texas-130-teed-up-for-major-expansion-as-soon-as-2/ns5G3/
Texas 130 teed up for major expansion as soon as 2018

The Texas Department of Transportation has hired engineers to design an expansion from four to six lanes between Texas 130's intersection with Texas 45 North in Pflugerville and Texas 71 near Austin's airport. TxDOT has nailed down the estimated $195 million for design and construction of the added lanes over that 20.4-mile stretch and expects to begin construction by early 2018.

The added lanes, one on each side in the existing grassy median, should be open to the public by summer 2020, TxDOT estimates, although the new lanes in the section north of U.S. 290 could open sooner. And a separate but related $130 million project by the Central Texas Regional Mobility Authority to add three flyover bridges at U.S. 290 and Texas 130 should be complete by the end of 2020.

TxDOT will pay for the added lanes, an agency official said, using a reserve account for the Central Texas Turnpike System, which includes Texas 130 along with the Texas 45 North, Loop 1 and Texas 45 Southeast toll roads. That system over the past year brought in $170 million in tolls, about 30 percent more than was originally projected for 2016. The four toll roads opened in stages between late 2006 and 2009.

Texas 130, despite a lingering reputation as having scant traffic, has begun to see rush hour slowdowns at places north and south of where it meets U.S. 290. The highway has an average of just under 75,000 vehicles a day near Pecan Street in Pflugerville and almost 52,000 a day just north of FM 969 east of Austin.

Both traffic counts are almost four times what was predicted in 2002 when Texas 130 and the three companion toll roads were in the final planning stages.
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

Anthony_JK

So...how is that section of 130 growing like gangbusters, yet the segment from there south to Luling is in default and near bankruptcy??

thisdj78

Quote from: Anthony_JK on November 07, 2016, 10:11:57 PM
So...how is that section of 130 growing like gangbusters, yet the segment from there south to Luling is in default and near bankruptcy??

I live near Pflugerville and I'm caught in the backup mentioned about twice a week. First, it's pretty simple, much more development up there. Secondly, the back ups didn't start until after the 290 toll was complete...now you have people using 130+290 as an alternative to get downtown vs. I-35

SquonkHunter

I was on Toll 130 a couple of weeks ago. Friday, late afternoon, and southbound traffic from US 290 to TX 71 was stop and go the whole way. Once I cleared TX 71, full speed ahead. Very little traffic from there and along Toll 45 SE to I 35 at Buda. The northern section from TX 71 to I 35 in Georgetown is certainly paying its way. From TX 71 south to I 10, not so much.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.