Stub ramp and odd expressway in Wichita Falls, TX (Spur 447)

Started by bugo, July 16, 2012, 11:58:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

qguy

The Kell freeway was intended to continue from the partial stack interchange, where it currently ends, to the northeast along surface Kell Blvd. and around to the north side of town. The stub ramp you indicate was for an interchange that was to be located there.

The freeway system in Wichita Falls is being built piece-by-piece over a long period of time. In the mid-80s, I was there TDY for three months when I was in the Air Force. At that time, the split elevated freeway along Broad and Holiday Sts. wasn't there, neither was the stack, and Kell Blvd. was a freeway in only one or two short, disconnected pieces, with traffic mostly travelling along what is now the Kell Blvd. frontage roads.

Here's another stub-end which hints at the continuation of the Kell freeway continuing past the stack:
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Wichita+Falls,+TX&hl=en&ll=33.895159,-98.498472&spn=0.004497,0.008208&sll=33.256633,-95.900602&sspn=0.034092,0.07699&oq=wichita+f&hnear=Wichita+Falls,+Wichita,+Texas&t=k&z=17

Does anyone know of any plans to continue the Kell beyond the stack interchange?

dariusb

It's a new day for a new beginning.

austrini

TxDot had this phase where every district got to have a big stack, I think. I remember driving through here as a kid and Wichita Falls was an endless display of traffic lights and open fields for ROW.
AICP (2012), GISP (2020) | Formerly TX, now UK

dariusb

Are there any plans to finish this project or has it been cancelled?
It's a new day for a new beginning.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.