News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Road Names with a "Gap"

Started by webny99, February 22, 2023, 10:08:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce

Flint1979

Potter Road in Genesee County has about a 9 mile gap where Pasadena Avenue and a few other names in between but the road is discontinuous.

GaryA

Quote from: pderocco on February 23, 2023, 05:14:09 PM
Occasionally, an old decomissioned US route retains its name, except where it goes through a town. A lot of the old US-80 in San Diego County is called Old Highway 80, but it has a big gap where it's called Alpine Blvd, Willows Rd, and CA-79.

Lots of CA-1 is called Pacific Coast Highway. Lots of it isn't. Pieces of the old US-101 are called Pacific Hwy.

The name "El Camino Real" gets attached to many sections of either current US 101 south of San Francisco, or one of its older routings.

Similarly, multiple sections of CA-1 in central CA are labelled "Cabrillo Highway".

Takumi

US 460 is County Drive in Petersburg and Prince George County, then becomes General Mahone Highway when it reaches the Sussex County line, then becomes County Drive again entering the town of Waverly, General Mahone Highway again once it leaves Waverly, County Drive again when it enters the town of Wakefield, then General Mahone Highway again when it leaves Wakefield. At the Southampton County line it becomes General Mahone Boulevard, then at the Isle of Wight County line it becomes Windsor Boulevard.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

lepidopteran

In Montgomery County, OH

• Route 48 is known as Main St. throughout the county (and a little north of there as well). But through Oakwood and Kettering, it becomes Far Hills Ave.  There are stretches north and south of there, though, where it has no name other than the route number.
  • To the west, Union Rd. changes its name to Broadway Ave. as it runs through Trotwood.

Declan127

NY 24's western segment is normally called Hempstead Turnpike in Nassau County, but within Franklin Square (more or less Hempstead town center) it becomes Fulton Avenue (I believe).
Imma New Yoikah, fuggedaboudit!

skluth

Quote from: SkyPesos on February 23, 2023, 01:26:28 AM
In the St Louis area, going southbound, Lindbergh Blvd (US 61/67) changes its name to Kirkwood Road at the junction with MO 100 and goes being a divided expressway to an undivided arterial. In downtown Kirkwood, it drops from 2 lanes per direction to 1 due to street parking. The "Lindbergh Blvd" name returns at around the junction with I-44, though it retains its stroady nature from Kirkwood (except an interchange with MO 366) southward.

St Louis is filled with these gaps. Weber Road in South County "ends" going EB at the weird Weber Road/ Bayless/ Morgan Ford/ Union Road intersection then continues EB from Morgan Ford about 1/3 mile north of that intersection. Conway Road, Rock Hill, Fee Fee, and Watson Rd all take strange leaps in West County. Pine St in the city is so detached that its Central West End component is called West Pine even though there is no East Pine. I could mention at least a half dozen other places but I'm just too lazy to mention them all. I blame the French who founded the city and first settled the area.

tigerwings

A couple in the Detroit Area than came to mind..

W Jerfferson Ave starts Downtown Detroit, changes to Biddle Ave in Wyandotte, then change back to W Jefferson from Riverview to the county line< goes by US Turnpike then Dixie Hwy in Monroe County.  (County signs at main county roads would use W Jefferson in Wyandotte. GSV  shows the county sign is W Jefferson and Northline, the city sign is Biddle and Ford).

Coolidge Hwy Starts in River Rouge, changes to Schaefer Hwy in Detoit, Melvindale and Dearborn, Then back to Coolidge Hwy in Oakland County.

TheStranger

A gap that increased over time:

Prior to 1996, 14th Street and East 14th Street in Oakland were separated by a short segment of Lake Merritt Boulevard and 1 block of 1st Avenue.

Due to the reputation of that street (portions of which are Route 185) as a crime-ridden thoroughfare, the City of Oakland renamed its segment of East 14th to International Boulevard that year.

As a result, the East 14th name now begins all the way in San Leandro.
Chris Sampang

epzik8

US 40 in Aberdeen, Maryland goes from Pulaski Highway to Philadelphia Boulevard and back. It is otherwise Pulaski Highway the whole way from Orleans Street in east Baltimore to US 13 in Delaware.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Flint1979

Quote from: tigerwings on February 25, 2023, 12:54:40 PM
A couple in the Detroit Area than came to mind..

W Jerfferson Ave starts Downtown Detroit, changes to Biddle Ave in Wyandotte, then change back to W Jefferson from Riverview to the county line< goes by US Turnpike then Dixie Hwy in Monroe County.  (County signs at main county roads would use W Jefferson in Wyandotte. GSV  shows the county sign is W Jefferson and Northline, the city sign is Biddle and Ford).

Coolidge Hwy Starts in River Rouge, changes to Schaefer Hwy in Detoit, Melvindale and Dearborn, Then back to Coolidge Hwy in Oakland County.
And in the other direction Jefferson goes through Grosse Pointe Park and Grosse Pointe as Jefferson then turns into Lakeside Drive as it enters Grosse Pointe Farms, then turns back into Jefferson when it enters St. Clair Shores. Then has a gap because of Selfridge then starts up again and ends at 23 Mile in New Baltimore.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on February 23, 2023, 10:04:32 AM
Bluff (which Google Maps is hilariously calling Blf Ave right now)

Google is also hilariously using "Red Hl Vly Pkwy" for Red Hill Valley Pkwy: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.222532,-79.7939331,16.38z

jgrace14

Quote from: Rothman on February 23, 2023, 06:56:21 AM
Can't think of any in MA due to the convention of main roads within townships being named after adjacent municipalities.

Mass Ave runs from Lunenburg to Boston, with no route thru Shirley/Ayer, then starts again in Harvard and runs to Acton, with a gap thru Concord and along 2A in Concord, Lincoln, and part of Lexington before starting again and running from Lexington-Arlington-Cambridge-Boston

ethanhopkin14

Does Sepulveda Blvd. count for this thread?

webny99

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on March 01, 2023, 02:11:36 PM

That would be for you to tell us.  :cool:

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: webny99 on March 01, 2023, 03:13:55 PM

I guess what I mean is I think I may be confused on the definition for this thread.  It is one strip of pavement that gets its name changed a few times and then reverts back to the original name or is it about roads with several disjointed segments?

webny99

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on March 01, 2023, 03:40:36 PM

I guess what I mean is I think I may be confused on the definition for this thread.  It is one strip of pavement that gets its name changed a few times and then reverts back to the original name or is it about roads with several disjointed segments?

It's about name changes. Disjointed segments are separate roads as far as I'm concerned.

frankenroad

Ross Avenue in St Bernard, OH becomes Tennessee Ave in Cincinnati, and then reverts to being Ross when entering Norwood.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

paulthemapguy

I'm sure a lot of county roads have a name based on their position on the county's grid, and then the road skewers through a town that gives it a municipal street name.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

hbelkins

I've resisted this as long as I can.

Cumberland Gap Parkway (US 25E) in Kentucky has a "Gap" in its name.

:-D :-D :-D

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

plain

US 13 is the Ocean Hwy everywhere in MD, except on the Salisbury Bypass.

US 13 BUS in Salisbury and Fruitland is named Salisbury and Fruitland Boulevards, respectively.
Newark born, Richmond bred

TheStranger

Quote from: webny99 on March 01, 2023, 03:42:28 PM
Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on March 01, 2023, 03:40:36 PM

It's about name changes. Disjointed segments are separate roads as far as I'm concerned.

In the case of Sepulveda...

It does count because of the following recent change:

Immediately north of Imperial Highway in LAX territory: Sepulveda Boulevard (up until the junction with former Route 7)
Through El Segundo: Pacific Coast Highway
Manhattan Beach: Sepulveda Boulevard

Chris Sampang

Flint1979

Quote from: hbelkins on March 03, 2023, 07:49:26 PM
I've resisted this as long as I can.

Cumberland Gap Parkway (US 25E) in Kentucky has a "Gap" in its name.

:-D :-D :-D
I honestly love that highway.

webny99

Quote from: paulthemapguy on March 03, 2023, 04:49:49 PM
I'm sure a lot of county roads have a name based on their position on the county's grid, and then the road skewers through a town that gives it a municipal street name.

Yes, this does seem to be more common than I thought for streets that take on a default name like "Main St" through a town or village, then revert to the previous name. I am curious how many examples there are that do not fall under this definition, like the one in the OP and a few others mentioned upthread.

SD Mapman

Quote from: webny99 on March 05, 2023, 03:59:12 PM
Quote from: paulthemapguy on March 03, 2023, 04:49:49 PM

Yes, this does seem to be more common than I thought for streets that take on a default name like "Main St" through a town or village, then revert to the previous name. I am curious how many examples there are that do not fall under this definition, like the one in the OP and a few others mentioned upthread.

It's real common out here in the Plains, e.g. in SD on the eastern side of the state you'll have the section line roads numbered according to the statewide numbering system, enter a town and follow that town's naming convention, then revert back to the section line system once they leave town. Honestly I can't think of any examples of specifically what you're looking for out here, most road name changes are either jumping on the city grid or some other change of direction or the rural/urban/rural kind.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.