Plan to remove the Interstate Highway System revealed (April fools)

Started by CNGL-Leudimin, April 01, 2023, 03:51:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CNGL-Leudimin

I was doing some research when I came across some shocking documents. I know there has been some theoretical execises on this forum before, but this time it's for real since I got it leaked from nothing less than the FHWA.

First, I must make clear they aren't going to physically dismantle the network (as that would be pretty bad for the economy). Only the Interstate designations are going to be removed, with pre-existing US Routes moved to or re-established on the freeways where applicable. Most 3dis, as well as those 2dis that didn't follow a US Route, will be downgraded to state routes. The reasoning behind is that with widespread GPS use there is no longer a need to have two separate nationwide numbering systems.

Now the fun begins. In several places, Interstates were built where no road previously existed. In some cases, the replacement is easy (e.g. Utah may keep US 50 through the San Rafael Swell, and Arizona may move US 60 between Phoenix and Brenda to what is now I-10; in any case I don't see US 70 being re-extended to California as it would be redundant). However in other cases it may be harder, such as I-5 through the San Joaquin Valley (California may want to re-apply US 99 to CA 99 instead), or I-10 through the Atchafalaya swamp with no easy replacement (it would be a detour for US 190 if it went that way). In any case the states and the AASHTO will have the last word.

In any case the document is available here. Any thoughts on this?
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Roadgeekteen

With GPS half of Americans wouldn't even notice
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Quillz

I think what was more important than the interstates themselves were the design standards. The numbers and shield are nice to have as bonuses, but frankly, in most instances, I think just upgrading existing highways to interstate standards and keeping established numbers might have worked better.

MisterWong

How about we tear down each and every one of those wretched highways and replace them with train tracks. We can even have frequent service on them... like three times a week!

nexus73

US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Mr. Matté

Hunty2022

Number the Virginia interstates as Secondary Secondary routes.  :bigass:
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

Life in Paradise

Great April Fools day ruse....   On another note, if one were to envision changing America over to focusing on train transportation over cars, what better way to get right of way without fighting land owners would be to change at least one of the E/W or N/S lane sets to train tracks.  The roads already go to most of the heavily populated cities and the road beds were made for heavy traffic.

SectorZ

kurumi

Oh hey, it's today.

The linked document is full of interesting references

"You know the rules and so do I" - the MUTCD
"A full commitment's what I'm thinking of" - a complete system by 1975
"Don't tell me you're too blind to see" - high-visibility reflective signage
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

jp the roadgeek

FritzOwl just had a heart attack reading this.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

SEWIGuy

Ned Weasel

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on April 01, 2023, 03:51:47 AM
In any case the document is available here. Any thoughts on this?

When I saw the link, I was 99% sure I knew what it was before I clicked it, and I was right.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

CNGL-Leudimin

Dang, this year it didn't turn out to be as great as it was already discovered to be my prank for this year. But at least it was something.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.