US Highways site (us-highways.com) apparently down

Started by froggie, January 12, 2016, 09:52:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHighwayMan3561

self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

thspfc

I wish Chris Bessert or whatever his name is would keep tabs on his WI website. http://www.wisconsinhighways.org/ There's a lot of good (outdated) info there.

Beltway

Quote from: fredmcain on September 06, 2019, 03:16:58 PM
Quote from: Beltway on September 06, 2019, 03:09:14 PM
Similar points have been repeated in the last couple years here.
Has anyone asked him?  Could send him a paper letter.
Yes, you could do that.  If we could ascertain what facility he's at, you could write him a paper letter.  In fact, that would probably be a day brightener for him.  You have given me an idea.  I might just try and do that.  It might be good for him to hear from someone like us.
I do not and would not condone what he did.  NEVER!  But, at the same time, I don't judge anyone.  That is for the Man upstairs to do and His right alone.  Regards,  Fred M. Cain

I am not going to contact him myself, that would be up to someone who is directly interested in putting the material back online.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: usends on September 06, 2019, 05:56:31 PM
Quote from: Rover_0 on September 06, 2019, 05:18:48 PM
There's one thing I remember from Robert's website that I don't recall seeing anywhere else: There was a mention of US-160 being considered for an extension all the way to California, but I don't know when. I don't know when or what route it would've taken. Now, it wouldn't surprise me to see some AASHTO (or AASHO) amendment applications pop up somewhere soon, but, so far, US Highways.com was the only place with that piece of information.

Here is the relevant text about US 160 (my bold, my clarifications in brackets):
Quote from: us-highways.com
Since 1930; Original route Springfield, MO - Cortez, CO; Planned to Monticello, UT 1930 w/ future NV and CA considered; extended west Lockerby, UT 1934 [this refers to the CO/UT stateline]; Brendel, UT 1938 [this refers to Crescent Jct.]; west truncated Cortez, CO 1970; extended west 1970 [this refers to Tuba City]; Orig plan for future extens to CA

Similarly, he had an interesting tidbit about US 63 (see bold):
Since 1926 [Des Moines to Turrell AR]; Was ferry [where? Jefferson City?]; extended north 1934 [Ashland WI]; extended south to Memphis, TN 1940; extension s to coastal Louisiana denied 1940; north truncated 1990 [outside Ashland]; south truncated W. Memphis, AR 1999; current extended south 1999 [Ruston LA]

I recall the US 160 blurb as well.  Kind of intriguing to think how it would have possibly gotten to Nevada much less California.

Rover_0

There's one thing I remember from Robert's website that I don't recall seeing anywhere else: There was a mention of US-160 being considered for an extension all the way to California, but I don't know when. I don't know when or what route it would've taken. Now, it wouldn't surprise me to see some AASHTO (or AASHO) amendment applications pop up somewhere soon, but, so far, US Highways.com was the only place with that piece of information.

Here is the relevant text about US 160 (my bold, my clarifications in brackets):
Since 1930; Original route Springfield, MO - Cortez, CO; Planned to Monticello, UT 1930 w/ future NV and CA considered; extended west Lockerby, UT 1934 [this refers to the CO/UT stateline]; Brendel, UT 1938 [this refers to Crescent Jct.]; west truncated Cortez, CO 1970; extended west 1970 [this refers to Tuba City]; Orig plan for future extens to CA

So, for US-160, it may have been considered for a California extension both when it was extended to Crescent Jct. and Tuba City.
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

Verlanka

Quote from: Rover_0 on September 07, 2019, 01:27:58 PM

So, for US-160, it may have been considered for a California extension both when it was extended to Crescent Jct. and Tuba City.

For Crescent Junction, it probably would have followed US 6 and US 50 to Sacramento (a useless overlap).

For Tuba City, it probably would have used AZ 64, US 66, and CA 58 to either Bakersfield or even the coastline.

Alex

Quote from: froggie on December 31, 2018, 05:40:10 PM
Quote from: hbelkinsDidn't someone snag some of the pages off an archived version of that site?

I did at the time, but I haven't been in a position to do any work on them.

Quote from: usends on January 01, 2019, 07:38:14 PM
While it's true that us-highways.com remained online until late 2015, I think we're forgetting that the site hadn't been actively maintained for probably ten years or so prior to that.  So I doubt there was a backup, and regardless of what happens in Robert's future, I would be surprised if he ever makes the effort to put his stuff back online (particularly because modern web standards are not friendly with tabular data).  Going forward I think the best available option is the last version captured by archive.org (Nov. 2015).  I've found that a bit cumbersome to use, so I've downloaded a local copy of each html file that is of interest to me.

Turns out I have a copy of the entire us-highways website from 2003 on disc. Looking at it, the site did not change a whole lot after that. But there are portions I forgot about, like a section covering the I-275 Bypass concept for Tampa with N and S interstate style signs.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.