News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Highway 112

Started by bjrush, July 04, 2014, 07:38:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bjrush

I thought we could use another thread for the in progress/planned/programmed/future improvements to this main arterial in Northwest Arkansas.

I see work going on around the round brick "University of Arkansas" sign at MLK and Razorback Rd. Is this related to the widening or is it a university project to update their sign?
Woo Pig Sooie

Arkansastravelguy

I'm not aware of any 112 improvements.

iPhone

bjrush

AHTD is planning to widen the road along Razorback Rd between MLK and Leroy Pond Dr in Fayetteville

They are currently widening along Garland Avenue between North St and Melmar Av in Fayetteville

Long-term they will widen Highway 112 between MLK and Garland/Maple intersection
Woo Pig Sooie

Arkansastravelguy

Ah I forgot about the cluster on Garland lol. Will they widen Garland to 49?

iPhone

bjrush

I don't think that has been programmed

I wonder why AHTD chose to widen the stretch not near the interstate along Highway 112

Probably because they got the city to pay for R/W, utility relocates (took over a year on its own) and 1/2 of construction cost I imagine
Woo Pig Sooie

US71

Quote from: bjrush on July 04, 2014, 10:14:03 PM
I don't think that has been programmed

I wonder why AHTD chose to widen the stretch not near the interstate along Highway 112

Probably because they got the city to pay for R/W, utility relocates (took over a year on its own) and 1/2 of construction cost I imagine

112 serves as a gateway to the University of Arkansas, so the city wanted to "improve" it. Pretty much whatever the UofA wants, they get, including shutting down parts of Garland Ave south of Maple.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

bjrush

Traffic shift on Garland in order to allow AHTD to obliterate the center lane and plant trees

Saturday work on the (extremely oversized) retaining wall in front of Harps continued today too

I presume a final 2" overlay or something will go over the entire project following obliteration of the center lane? If not, the dozens of pavement markings will look like crap for years to come
Woo Pig Sooie

US71

Quote from: bjrush on July 19, 2014, 05:18:11 PM
Traffic shift on Garland in order to allow AHTD to obliterate the center lane and plant trees

Saturday work on the (extremely oversized) retaining wall in front of Harps continued today too

I presume a final 2" overlay or something will go over the entire project following obliteration of the center lane? If not, the dozens of pavement markings will look like crap for years to come
Any of the new signals working yet? I was going to go up this weekend, but had something else come up.

bjrush

Woo Pig Sooie

M86

How are the various municipalities and AHTD dealing with AR 112, north of Fayetteville?  Any right of way being preserved?  Much like the "Eastern Parkway" in NWA, AR 112 between Fayetteville and Bentonville has potential to be a higher speed corridor.  I hate to say, I'm convinced that the Western Bypass in NWA won't be in my lifetime.

bjrush

NWARPC has concluded the western bypass doesn't have sufficient projected demand to justify its expense, so no it will never happen
Woo Pig Sooie

US71

Quote from: M86 on July 20, 2014, 01:40:04 AM
How are the various municipalities and AHTD dealing with AR 112, north of Fayetteville?  Any right of way being preserved?  Much like the "Eastern Parkway" in NWA, AR 112 between Fayetteville and Bentonville has potential to be a higher speed corridor.  I hate to say, I'm convinced that the Western Bypass in NWA won't be in my lifetime.
112 got a partial reroute at Bentonville within the last couple years so it now ties directly into SW I St

M86

Quote from: bjrush on July 20, 2014, 10:35:16 AM
NWARPC has concluded the western bypass doesn't have sufficient projected demand to justify its expense, so no it will never happen

Are you kidding me?  Good grief.

bjrush

I believe they found pretty much all the traffic just runs between Fayetteville and Bentonville, so no one would use a bypass since all the traffic originates and is heading to a destination close to the I-49 corridor
Woo Pig Sooie

bjrush

Installation of curbs along Highway 112

Hooray for access management!
Woo Pig Sooie

US71

Quote from: bjrush on July 27, 2014, 07:37:11 PM
Installation of curbs along Highway 112

Hooray for access management!

Are there curb cuts at Maxwell or Lawson?

Wayward Memphian

So, when does this get extended to I-49 through the experimental farm.

bjrush

I don't believe that is planned or programmed
Woo Pig Sooie

US71

Quote from: bjrush on July 27, 2014, 11:15:28 PM
I don't believe that is planned or programmed
Be a major hassle around Agri Park considering they just built the tunnel on the walking trail.

M86

\
Quote from: bjrush on July 27, 2014, 10:13:10 AM
I believe they found pretty much all the traffic just runs between Fayetteville and Bentonville, so no one would use a bypass since all the traffic originates and is heading to a destination close to the I-49 corridor

Oh, jeez.  Can you provide links?  With traffic counts (accident data is plus).

bjrush

It should all be in the Western Bypass feasibility study done by NWARPC. Check their website, there is a lot of info on there

Found it. Page 71 says even with tolls, only 5-10% of initial capital costs would ever be funded by tolls. Crash data is there too. I'm on my phone so I can't post the link. Search for "nwarpc western beltway"
Woo Pig Sooie

M86

Quote from: bjrush on July 28, 2014, 07:42:23 AM
It should all be in the Western Bypass feasibility study done by NWARPC. Check their website, there is a lot of info on there

Found it. Page 71 says even with tolls, only 5-10% of initial capital costs would ever be funded by tolls. Crash data is there too. I'm on my phone so I can't post the link. Search for "nwarpc western beltway"

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=10296.0

^ A past thread.
I'm familiar with the Western Bypass study.  The study states that the Western Bypass is definitely needed. 

I think maybe we took each others comments wrong? 

I wasn't saying that AR 112 should be a fully-controlled access highway, but rather, it could develop into an inter-regional roadway.  Put in a raised median, have access at every half mile or mile, and throw a 50+ MPH speed limit on it.

bjrush

I guess I don't see where it says it is feasible. It will never be built with anything but toll money and with tolls the ridership is way too low
Woo Pig Sooie

bjrush

Also, final paving work is underway and signals have been flashing yellow/red recently. It may be done in time for move in
Woo Pig Sooie

Arkansastravelguy

Quote from: bjrush on August 07, 2014, 08:11:28 AM
Also, final paving work is underway and signals have been flashing yellow/red recently. It may be done in time for move in
It seems like it took them an awful long time to get it done. Kinda like the Johnson Mill Rd construction

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.