News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

AHTD considering a new name

Started by froggie, January 09, 2017, 10:33:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

froggie

http://www.nwaonline.com/news/2017/jan/09/roads-agency-eyes-new-name-20170109-1/

In the article, AHTD's current director calls the agency's name "redundant" and "antiquated."  Changing the name was also recommended by a legislative task force.

The article doesn't make any suggestions or note recommendations on what to rename the agency to.

US71

Quote from: froggie on January 09, 2017, 10:33:27 AM
http://www.nwaonline.com/news/2017/jan/09/roads-agency-eyes-new-name-20170109-1/

In the article, AHTD's current director calls the agency's name "redundant" and "antiquated."  Changing the name was also recommended by a legislative task force.

The article doesn't make any suggestions or note recommendations on what to rename the agency to.

ADOT: Arkansas Dept of Transportation is most likely.

I'm still waiting for AHTD to send me a hat for all the errors I've corrected ;)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

cjk374

Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Road Hog

mvak36

Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

jeffandnicole

Arkansas Department Highway Division

jakeroot

TfAR -- transport for Arkansas. Shameless ripoff but whatevs

US71

Anthony_JK

Funny, but Louisiana seems to get by pretty well using Department of Transportation and Development (LADOTD). What's Arkansas's problem with that?

mvak36

Quote from: US71 on January 09, 2017, 11:15:31 PM
Department of Viatology

I like yours haha (after I Googled what it means).
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

US71

Quote from: Anthony_JK on January 10, 2017, 08:04:08 AM
Funny, but Louisiana seems to get by pretty well using Department of Transportation and Development (LADOTD). What's Arkansas's problem with that?
Lead foot Bennett wants something new.

inkyatari

I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

MikeTheActuary

Arkansas Roads, Rivers, and Railways.

Be sure to give staff an extra day off on September 19.

jnewkirk77

froggie

Quote from: Anthony_JKFunny, but Louisiana seems to get by pretty well using Department of Transportation and Development (LADOTD). What's Arkansas's problem with that?

Arkansas doesn't have the development arm like the Louisiana version.  DOTD does more than just transportation.

cjk374

Quote from: MikeTheActuary on January 10, 2017, 02:20:07 PM

The only problem with that...AHTD does little to nothing with railroads. Sounds weird, but I was told this by an AHTD employee when I was helping my railroad find state grant money for signage improvements at grade crossings.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

US71

vdeane

Quote from: cjk374 on January 10, 2017, 08:33:40 PM

The only problem with that...AHTD does little to nothing with railroads. Sounds weird, but I was told this by an AHTD employee when I was helping my railroad find state grant money for signage improvements at grade crossings.
Arkansas Roads, Rivers, and Roundabouts?

So... who administers Arkansas's Section 130 money if not AHTD?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

MikeTheActuary

Quote from: vdeane on January 10, 2017, 09:49:12 PM
Quote from: cjk374 on January 10, 2017, 08:33:40 PM

Arkansas Roads, Rivers, and Roundabouts?

So... who administers Arkansas's Section 130 money if not AHTD?

Judging by the original article, the agency would have an expanded scope.  But it appears that I missed one element.

Aviation, Rivers, Roads, and Railways.

Still need a holiday, or at least an annual conference, on September 19.

M86

I have to give him credit, he's trying to reform that department, which apparently has a f'ed connection to the state government.

Although he stole the "antiquated" thing from me when I went on about AHTD's roadway lighting policy on here.  I'm OK with it!  Learn from it.

Good luck though, buddy.  I don't live in that state anymore, but I hope to whatever is holy that you'll fix AHTD... Or future ARDOT.

SP Cook

Most people call the highway department whatever they are used to.  In my state, it was the "State Road Department" until the 1960s and most old people and not a few younger people, mostly in rural areas, still just say "the State Road".  Then it was the Department of Highways until a major reshuffle of state government way back in 1985, which reduced the number of "departments" to 7 and made a clear rank structure (department, division, bureau, office) with highways demoted to a "division" within the new DOT.  NO ONE says "Division of Highways: (or Division of Motor Vehicles), they still just say Department.  Even the signs on the HQ buildings have never been changed.    The phoney-baloney change of the "turnpike commission" to the "Economic Development, Tourism, and Parkways Authority" , which is really a seperate DOT divison, is also used by exactly nobody.  Everyone still just says "turnpike commission".  BTW, said authority has nothing to do with economic development or tourism, both being division in the Commerce Department.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

The DOT part is now overused, so I feel as if AHTD, CalTrans, NE Dept of Roads is unquie to the state of origin.
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

US71

Quote from: IDriveArkansas on April 20, 2017, 04:17:31 PM
The DOT part is now overused, so I feel as if AHTD, CalTrans, NE Dept of Roads is unquie to the state of origin.

As opposed to ODOT ;)

J N Winkler

Quote from: US71 on April 20, 2017, 05:19:57 PM
Quote from: IDriveArkansas on April 20, 2017, 04:17:31 PMThe DOT part is now overused, so I feel as if AHTD, CalTrans, NE Dept of Roads is unique to the state of origin.

As opposed to ODOT ;)

MDOT is open to similar objections.  In principle the two-letter state abbreviation can be used as a differentiator (e.g., ALDOT), but for me personally this is a nail-on-blackboard approach, though I am fine with TxDOT and LaDOTD.

There is another possibility in a vein similar to Jake's suggestion upthread:  ADfT or Arkansas Department for Transportation.  And as long as we are looking at names of transportation agencies outside the US as possible templates, then depending on whether AHTD has (or can plausibly be given) broader infrastructural responsibilities, ADTC (Arkansas Department of Transportation and Communications) and ADTI (Arkansas Department of Transportation Infrastructure or Arkansas Department of Transportation and Infrastructure) come to mind as possibilities.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

US71

Quote from: J N Winkler on April 21, 2017, 11:02:53 AM
Quote from: US71 on April 20, 2017, 05:19:57 PM
Quote from: IDriveArkansas on April 20, 2017, 04:17:31 PMThe DOT part is now overused, so I feel as if AHTD, CalTrans, NE Dept of Roads is unique to the state of origin.

As opposed to ODOT ;)

MDOT is open to similar objections.  In principle the two-letter state abbreviation can be used as a differentiator (e.g., ALDOT), but for me personally this is a nail-on-blackboard approach, though I am fine with TxDOT and LaDOTD.

There is another possibility in a vein similar to Jake's suggestion upthread:  ADfT or Arkansas Department for Transportation.  And as long as we are looking at names of transportation agencies outside the US as possible templates, then depending on whether AHTD has (or can plausibly be given) broader infrastructural responsibilities, ADTC (Arkansas Department of Transportation and Communications) and ADTI (Arkansas Department of Transportation Infrastructure or Arkansas Department of Transportation and Infrastructure) come to mind as possibilities.

As long as it's ADOT ...too close to IDOT and similar connotations (oops! Outside voice again)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.