News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

NFL: What the Hell?

Started by Billy F 1988, September 20, 2014, 08:33:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete from Boston

Hitting people, shooting people, threatening people, intimidating people, raping people, fucking people when you are married to someone else, driving drunk, yelling at fans, destroying other people's property, hanging out with thugs and criminals, stealing your trophies from a collector, and many other things professional athletes do frequently are chicken-shit behavior that shouldn't be put up with from these overpaid hotshots by anybody, but in a nation full of complicit accessories, we all collectively let it go and keep cheering "go {color}."

If you think the NFL or the NCAA or any of the rest are soft on its criminals, stop watching, stop going, and let them know why.

Unfortunately, the fans are also chicken-shit, so the NFL, et al., have had it pretty easy up until now with being lazily reactive because very few people have the balls to walk the talk and turn off the game.

bing101

Brian556

quote from agentsteel53:
Quoteit's not "NFL: what the Hell" - it's the much less euphonious "football culture in America: what the Hell".

I don't understand why football or sports in general or so popular.

I don't find them interesting. I especially can't see how people find baseball or basketball interesting. I cannot fathom why so many people devote so much time and effort towards such pointless endeavors.

Imagine how much could be accomplished with all the effort wasted swigging sticks at balls/throwing balls, ect.

kkt

Quote from: hbelkins on September 21, 2014, 08:50:56 PM
Let's say that H.B. Elkins slugs his wife in an elevator, she hits her head and goes unconscious, and he drags her out of the elevator by the hair.

Should Kentucky's secretary of transportation suspend him from his job? Should there be calls for the KYTC secretary's firing if he does not suspend him from his job?

What is the difference between Elkins/KYTC/Secretary Hancock and Rice/NFL/Commissioner Goodell?

Football players are public figures and the team's ability to make money is greatly reduced when the football players' actions reflect badly on their team.  That's the case with other public figures too:  movie stars, politicians, prominent CEOs.

hbelkins

Given my position, it could probably be argued that I am a public figure as well.

A person in a position similar to mine in another part of the state had a wreck while drunk and crashed into a house. Termination procedures were initiated before the case was adjudicated (despite a valid driver's license not being a job requirement) despite a statement from our HR people that a non-work-related incident that didn't adversely affect the person's ability to hold the job would not be a cause for dismissal. She did not receive the paperwork about the impending termination until the deadline for filing an appeal had passed. She was, however, allowed to resign/retire.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

nexus73

Quote from: Brian556 on September 24, 2014, 12:46:03 AM
quote from agentsteel53:
Quoteit's not "NFL: what the Hell" - it's the much less euphonious "football culture in America: what the Hell".

I don't understand why football or sports in general or so popular.

I don't find them interesting. I especially can't see how people find baseball or basketball interesting. I cannot fathom why so many people devote so much time and effort towards such pointless endeavors.

Imagine how much could be accomplished with all the effort wasted swigging sticks at balls/throwing balls, ect.

Now say all that negativity about roads here, I dare ya'...LOL!

Sorry you can't see the deal in regards to sports.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

agentsteel53

I have nothing against baseball and basketball.  they are legitimate athletic endeavors.  football, like its more obvious cousin boxing, is assault and battery.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

bing101

http://news.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/headline_id=n29770

Now a Talk show host on ESPN has ranted on the NFL Abuse Scandals that has affected Goodell.

SSOWorld

Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 24, 2014, 03:05:28 PM
I have nothing against baseball and basketball.  they are legitimate athletic endeavors.  football, like its more obvious cousin boxing, is assault and battery.
and Hockey - "boxing on ice skates". ;)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: SSOWorld on September 28, 2014, 09:18:56 PM
and Hockey - "boxing on ice skates". ;)

Starring the Hanson brothers from the movie "Slap Shot". ;)

bing101

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-29372722

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-29387243

Well BBC News did one for the UK audience showing a possible hypothesis that was originally seen on PBS Frontline "Football High"
Its the impact of Football on the School District level and on the College level on the "Student Athletes"

bing101

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axlyvM7wHsg

Bill Simmons speaks for the fans over the NFL incident on his talk show.

triplemultiplex

Big money trying to protect its interests and attempting to obscure massive negative side effects of their revenue source.
It's an American tradition.

I love watching football, but I will make no excuses for the sport on any level.  Whether it's the massive taxpayer subsidies for stadiums or the effect of multiple blows to the head over the years or the outright exploitation of "athlete-students" for profit.  Dammit if it isn't the most entertaining sport there is.

On a related topic, last week's South Park tackled the controversy about the racist name of Washington's football team.  I'd recommend it to any football fan.
"Go Fund Yourself"
http://southpark.cc.com/full-episodes/s18e01-go-fund-yourself
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Billy F 1988

Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 23, 2014, 02:14:15 PM
Quote from: Zeffy on September 23, 2014, 02:00:04 PMhitting any woman, period, is unbelievable

but hitting a child is just fine?

Yet, our culture believes this is "acceptable"? Guess that answers my question on how much hope I've lost in our American sports culture these days.

I do not condone hitting women, NOR children at all. I was born not to hit women and kids. But, I guess that's not in some people's DNA. Wow. This is why our sports culture is an absolute joke to others. I'd rather be cheering on the Calgary Stampeders with former Montana Grizzlies great Dave Dickenson at the helm than to have to delve into this whole mess. NFL can just go the fuck away from me because I do not want anything to do with their putrid "football culture". Even looking at their logo makes me <--- want to vomit.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

Alps

Billy F 1988

...that didn't go too well. (Damn it, Billy, you completely fell for it!)
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

ET21

I just watch college football, NFL is becoming a soap opera  :rolleyes:
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

bing101

Billy F 1988

Another Adrian Peterson discovery unearthed by the Internet news gurus through Facebook's "Trending" page:

Misusing funds from charity. I'll let you figure out the rest of the story.

bing101

Brandon

Quote from: ET21 on October 03, 2014, 03:21:43 PM

Same here.  I find the college level much more fun, and I prefer the rivalries.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Zeffy

Quote from: Brandon on October 07, 2014, 10:31:46 AM
Quote from: ET21 on October 03, 2014, 03:21:43 PM

Same here.  I find the college level much more fun, and I prefer the rivalries.

I actually started watching college football because well, one NFL game or so per week (and that's assuming Philadelphia is even ON a channel over here, because the NFL is STUPID in this area) is kinda suckish, but I haven't really chosen a favorite team yet. I just kinda watch and observe, and it is better than the NFL because there aren't 24 flags thrown in the first half. I swear, some of the shit that is called versus what isn't called in the NFL is infuriating.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

roadman

Unless New England is in the playoffs or a critical game, I generally don't watch the NFL.  Too many idiotic and unnecessary rules (like the "pass interference" nonsense - isn't that the defender's job?)
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

bing101

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/weighing-health-costs-high-school-football/

PBS Newshour provides an update for High School football injuries and mental state. This was first seen on PBS Frontline "Football High" and "League of Denial"

Even High School Football has a scandal too and its in my backyard. A high school football star in Vacaville is shot dead at an apartment complex in Vacaville,CA. The NFL is not the only place where scandals have gotten  high scrutiny.
http://www.kcra.com/news/local-news/news-sacramento/man-found-inside-truck-with-gunshot-wounds-in-vacaville/28967326

http://www.kcra.com/news/teen-shot-and-killed-in-vacaville/28981556

Pete from Boston

Quote from: roadman on October 07, 2014, 10:56:52 AM
Unless New England is in the playoffs or a critical game, I generally don't watch the NFL.  Too many idiotic and unnecessary rules (like the "pass interference" nonsense - isn't that the defender's job?)

Defensive pass interference prevents the defenders from simply knocking every receiver to the ground immediately, because scoring touchdowns sells beer and prevents soccer from occurring (back and forth with no payoff).

Offensive pass interference, on the other hand...

The more I watch the NFL, the more I wonder if more people become morbidly obese to make it in football, or if football simply provides a need that the already morbidly obese fill.  The players are just absurdly large these days.  I wonder what the diabetes rates are like in former football players. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.