News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-49 Coming to Missouri

Started by US71, August 04, 2010, 06:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dvferyance

Quote from: UAN51 on November 07, 2018, 01:46:16 AM
Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on November 06, 2018, 11:03:44 PM
Quote from: mvak36 on November 06, 2018, 10:56:35 PM
It's not looking good so far for the gas tax increase in Missouri. Looks like that Bella Vista Bypass will have to wait unless they get a federal grant. :banghead:

Grrr... thought that Missouri would increase the gas tax by now!!

The numbers are almost close but not close enough.
46.3% voted YES
53.7% voted NO
This is 97% precincts reported.
Way to go Missouri!

sparker

Quote from: dvferyance on November 11, 2018, 11:10:54 AM
It's not looking good so far for the gas tax increase in Missouri. Looks like that Bella Vista Bypass will have to wait unless they get a federal grant. :banghead:

46.3% voted YES
53.7% voted NO
Way to go Missouri!

Besides the money-going-to-the-cops issue, the main reason the measure failed in MO is that it was an increase of a T - A - X!!!!   Being the "red state" that it is, that fact is more than enough to rile up a sizeable portion of the population and the politicos that benefit from that attitude.  A negative vote was all but inevitable.

ModernDayWarrior

Quote from: sparker on November 11, 2018, 10:38:06 PM

46.3% voted YES
53.7% voted NO
Way to go Missouri!

Besides the money-going-to-the-cops issue, the main reason the measure failed in MO is that it was an increase of a T - A - X!!!!   Being the "red state" that it is, that fact is more than enough to rile up a sizeable portion of the population and the politicos that benefit from that attitude.  A negative vote was all but inevitable.

I think a "clean" gas tax increase would have passed. Diverting the money to the Highway Patrol was what did it in. Anecdotal evidence though it is, every single person I know who voted No said that that was the reason why. I voted for it anyway, but I wasn't thrilled with it.

MikieTimT

Quote from: ModernDayWarrior on November 12, 2018, 02:52:03 AM
Quote from: sparker on November 11, 2018, 10:38:06 PM

46.3% voted YES
53.7% voted NO
Way to go Missouri!

I think a "clean" gas tax increase would have passed. Diverting the money to the Highway Patrol was what did it in. Anecdotal evidence though it is, every single person I know who voted No said that that was the reason why. I voted for it anyway, but I wasn't thrilled with it.
Arkansas is just as red a state, and did vote themselves a clean tax in 2012 for the bond issue for the Connecting Arkansas Program.  A half cent sales tax isn't as direct a funding for roads as a gas tax increase would have been, but since it's one of the few sunsetting taxes there have been, there isn't as much a sense of "entitlement" by the road depts., which necessitates better stewardship of the funds.  That said, there's still the issue of maintenance going forward being increased because of the increased capacity.  Arkansas and Missouri have larger state road networks than their populations would seem to be able to support, but being centrally located in the U.S., they also have larger than average federal highway systems that transit the states to pass interstate traffic through them.

J N Winkler

Quote from: sparker on November 11, 2018, 10:38:06 PMBesides the money-going-to-the-cops issue, the main reason the measure failed in MO is that it was an increase of a T - A - X!!!!   Being the "red state" that it is, that fact is more than enough to rile up a sizeable portion of the population and the politicos that benefit from that attitude.  A negative vote was all but inevitable.

Quote from: ModernDayWarrior on November 12, 2018, 02:52:03 AMI think a "clean" gas tax increase would have passed. Diverting the money to the Highway Patrol was what did it in. Anecdotal evidence though it is, every single person I know who voted No said that that was the reason why. I voted for it anyway, but I wasn't thrilled with it.

As I tried to say in a post which appears to have gotten buried on the last page, I think the tax failed because it was mis-sold on the ballot.  The two-thirds that was supposed to go to the Highway Patrol was not additional funding for them, but rather replacement of funding they already get out of the MoDOT budget, allowing MoDOT to reallocate that money to the state highway system.  In light of the intended uses of the money, it would have been equally correct to describe the tax on the ballot as going two-thirds to state highways and one-thirds to city streets, and it would likely have passed on that basis.  There are presumably laws constraining how measures are described on the ballot that prevented language of this kind being used.

To the extent that there was political malpractice in promoting this measure, I believe it took the form of structuring the enabling legislation in such a way that the tax increase had to be described as being for the Highway Patrol, rather than for the state highways.

The vote was pretty close in any case.  "Missouri loves company," but I think the love affair with dilapidated highways is winding to a close.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

sparker

^^^^^^^^
Periodic "sunsetting" of specific taxes or tax hikes -- and spelling that out in the authorizing language -- is often an effective way to win over potential naysayers who otherwise aren't generically opposed to taxes in an overall sense.  Most of the "sunset" taxes have been localized measures (here in CA and sporadically across the country); if AR's '12 tax increase fit that category, it's one of the few at state level to do so. 

A question to AR based (or knowledgeable) posters:  How many years is the tax in effect before (a) sunset occurs and/or (b) it gets renewed by the voters?  If that worked in a "red" state, it may be a usable framework for other jurisdictions with similar demographics.

Quote from: J N Winkler on November 12, 2018, 01:02:29 PM
As I tried to say in a post which appears to have gotten buried on the last page, I think the tax failed because it was mis-sold on the ballot.  The two-thirds that was supposed to go to the Highway Patrol was not additional funding for them, but rather replacement of funding they already get out of the MoDOT budget, allowing MoDOT to reallocate that money to the state highway system.  In light of the intended uses of the money, it would have been equally correct to describe the tax on the ballot as going two-thirds to state highways and one-thirds to city streets, and it would likely have passed on that basis.  There are presumably laws constraining how measures are described on the ballot that prevented language of this kind being used.

To the extent that there was political malpractice in promoting this measure, I believe it took the form of structuring the enabling legislation in such a way that the tax increase had to be described as being for the Highway Patrol, rather than for the state highways.

If what JNW states above is accurate, then the MO initiative was functionally fraudulent.  The folks who wrote this, presumably desiring to sink any revenue measures, seem to have hit a new nadir with this sort of manipulation. 

US71

Arkansas has a half a cent sales tax which expires after 10 years unless voters approve extending it. It's purpose is to help pay for roads. We have one of the lowest gas taxes in the US.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

tdindy88

Indiana just had a gas tax increase a couple of years ago and if last week's election is any indication it's that Missouri and Indiana are politically similar. The increase was however voted upon in the legislature and not by ballot initiative. That said, the legislature is overwhelmingly conservative and they still voted to approve the hike. To my knowledge though none of the money is going to pay the police so that likely helps.

sparker

Quote from: tdindy88 on November 12, 2018, 08:15:29 PM
Indiana just had a gas tax increase a couple of years ago and if last week's election is any indication it's that Missouri and Indiana are politically similar. The increase was however voted upon in the legislature and not by ballot initiative. That said, the legislature is overwhelmingly conservative and they still voted to approve the hike. To my knowledge though none of the money is going to pay the police so that likely helps.

Conservative or not, legislatures (or their aides) see data on deteriorating roads consistently -- as well as public complaints -- so they're likely to view tax increases as a "last resort" way to serve their constituents -- they'll do it, then whine about having to do it at re-election time -- usually pointing the blame for the tax increase on anyone but themselves.   

MikieTimT

Quote from: sparker on November 12, 2018, 11:56:10 PM

Conservative or not, legislatures (or their aides) see data on deteriorating roads consistently -- as well as public complaints -- so they're likely to view tax increases as a "last resort" way to serve their constituents -- they'll do it, then whine about having to do it at re-election time -- usually pointing the blame for the tax increase on anyone but themselves.   

That's why the ballot initiatives are the best way to go on this kind of funding.  Gives the representatives cover since they didn't have to vote for or against it period.  Leave it up to the people.  Now, it's rather important to make the wording of the initiative clear and concise.  The more it's clouded with legalese or with other speciously related items, the more voters will reject it unless it's an unreasonable ask to begin with.

jhuntin1

Quote from: MikieTimT on November 13, 2018, 01:05:53 PM

That's why the ballot initiatives are the best way to go on this kind of funding.  Gives the representatives cover since they didn't have to vote for or against it period.  Leave it up to the people.  Now, it's rather important to make the wording of the initiative clear and concise.  The more it's clouded with legalese or with other speciously related items, the more voters will reject it unless it's an unreasonable ask to begin with.
Indiana doesn't have ballot initiatives, so they didn't have that option. The legislature was able to take advantage of passing the tax increase when gas was relatively cheap, so the increased gas price wasn't that noticeable. I doubt if you asked the average Hoosier that they even know or remember the gas tax hike.

MikieTimT

Quote from: jhuntin1 on November 13, 2018, 11:36:11 PM

Indiana doesn't have ballot initiatives, so they didn't have that option. The legislature was able to take advantage of passing the tax increase when gas was relatively cheap, so the increased gas price wasn't that noticeable. I doubt if you asked the average Hoosier that they even know or remember the gas tax hike.

No ballot initiatives.  Indiana must have a full-time legislature, so you are always represented.  We don't trust our representatives enough around here to give them full time employment, so they have to have real-world employment on the side in the off years.

mvak36

Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

The Ghostbuster

If a gas tax increase is unattainable, what else can Missouri do? The story says toll roads are opposed, so that's probably out. I expect a stalemate will stall additional road funding options for quite some time to come.

MikieTimT

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on November 14, 2018, 04:48:00 PM
If a gas tax increase is unattainable, what else can Missouri do? The story says toll roads are opposed, so that's probably out. I expect a stalemate will stall additional road funding options for quite some time to come.

The story also states that 60% of the population of the state are within 30 miles of I-70, so they are used to federal handouts for their most-used assets.  My guess is that's what it takes for any new-terrain roads as well.

J N Winkler

Quote from: mvak36 on November 14, 2018, 03:53:46 PMTake this FWIW.

https://www.stltoday.com/news/traffic/along-for-the-ride/gas-tax-defeat-leaves-officials-searching-anew-for-modot-funding/article_9a9949ab-60ce-5eb0-8f69-4b9d0be368fe.html

Money line:

QuoteThe convoluted wording of the proposition, which didn't refer to legislators' plans to channel most of the added money to MoDOT, could have been a factor as well.

I wish this aspect had been explored in more detail.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

US71

Quote from: MikieTimT on November 14, 2018, 04:56:38 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on November 14, 2018, 04:48:00 PM

The story also states that 60% of the population of the state are within 30 miles of I-70, so they are used to federal handouts for their most-used assets.  My guess is that's what it takes for any new-terrain roads as well.

Didn't Louisiana use some sort of convoluted financing like asset forfeiture?
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Life in Paradise

Quote from: MikieTimT on November 14, 2018, 08:17:53 AM

No ballot initiatives.  Indiana must have a full-time legislature, so you are always represented.  We don't trust our representatives enough around here to give them full time employment, so they have to have real-world employment on the side in the off years.
Actually Indiana has a part time legislature that meets and votes on bills in the period of January-April (this varies being one year with a long session for the two year budget, and a short session the next year).  They do have committees that do work in meetings the rest of the year.  You will find some retired persons, some lawyers, some real estate agents that are state legislators here, but still have their "full time job" otherwise outside of the sessions.

silverback1065

Quote from: Life in Paradise on November 17, 2018, 10:30:07 AM

Actually Indiana has a part time legislature that meets and votes on bills in the period of January-April (this varies being one year with a long session for the two year budget, and a short session the next year).  They do have committees that do work in meetings the rest of the year.  You will find some retired persons, some lawyers, some real estate agents that are state legislators here, but still have their "full time job" otherwise outside of the sessions.

we do have ballot initiatives, but they're weird, they're called "questions" and they are usually confusingly worded things that come from the governor or something.

MikieTimT

Indiana isn't alone in obtuse wording of issues proposed to the voters, as Missouri has just proven.  However, I did just pick through a potential ray of sunshine in the Missouri lettings thread.

Quote from: mvak36 on October 15, 2018, 09:21:16 AM
November 16, 2018 Letting:

EDIT: Additional lettings added after the initial listing.
Job J7P3376 Route I-49 MCDONALD County. Demolition of structures from I-49 to the Arkansas state line, the total length of improvement being 5.006 miles.
Job J5S3053 Route 124 BOONE County. Bridge replacement over Grindstone Creek, the total length of improvement being 0.236 miles.

Does this mean that Missouri is actually making forward progress on meeting Arkansas at the state line?

mvak36

Quote from: MikieTimT on November 20, 2018, 11:13:49 AM
Indiana isn't alone in obtuse wording of issues proposed to the voters, as Missouri has just proven.  However, I did just pick through a potential ray of sunshine in the Missouri lettings thread.

Job J7P3376 Route I-49 MCDONALD County. Demolition of structures from I-49 to the Arkansas state line, the total length of improvement being 5.006 miles.
Job J5S3053 Route 124 BOONE County. Bridge replacement over Grindstone Creek, the total length of improvement being 0.236 miles.

Does this mean that Missouri is actually making forward progress on meeting Arkansas at the state line?

I'm not sure how much work they're doing on this project. I'm not a civil engineer so I don't know how to read the plans. https://www6.modot.mo.gov/eBidLettingPublicWeb/viewFileStream.do?documentType=plan&key=6856.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

intelati49

Quote from: mvak36 on November 20, 2018, 11:20:45 AM
Quote from: MikieTimT on November 20, 2018, 11:13:49 AM

I'm not sure how much work they're doing on this project. I'm not a civil engineer so I don't know how to read the plans. https://www6.modot.mo.gov/eBidLettingPublicWeb/viewFileStream.do?documentType=plan&key=6856.

NACE (But three weeks out...)

From p2

12 instances of concrete/structure removals (Sidewalks, bridge, foundations...)

2 wells plugs

4 Mobile homes

5 shed/garages

1 house

6000+ ft^2 of asbestos containing materials (5(?) locations)

6 septic tanks

And one Exploratory excavation?!? :crazy:

In other news, this sheet set pretty much confirms the jersey barrier BVB

vdeane

Quote from: silverback1065 on November 20, 2018, 08:04:49 AM
Quote from: Life in Paradise on November 17, 2018, 10:30:07 AM

we do have ballot initiatives, but they're weird, they're called "questions" and they are usually confusingly worded things that come from the governor or something.
I think in this case "ballot initiatives" was referring to when citizens place issues directly on the ballot, completely bypassing all elected officials.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

intelati49

I-39

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.