Massachusetts

Started by hotdogPi, October 12, 2013, 04:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHLBOS

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on July 25, 2018, 11:41:47 PMMany mapping programs still (erroneously) refer to Mashapaug Rd as Route 15.
Even the Pilot station along that road (reachable by Exit 1 off I-84 in Sturbridge, MA) lists its address on credit card receipts as Route 15.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

RobbieL2415

Quote from: roadman65 on July 25, 2018, 08:30:24 PM
Did CT 15 ever have a MA counterpart where I-84 currently is from the MA Line to the Mass Pike?  I think on some old maps I did see, I believe, a mention of a MA 15 where I-84 is now located within Mass.
Yes. The old MA 15 begins in Holland and ends at Main St. in Sturbridge.

Rothman

I seem to remember I-86 not making it quite to the Pike at one time.  Wish I still had the Pike ticket from back then that had MA 15 marked on it.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

bob7374

I have added new photos from my latest tour through the I-95 Add-A-Lane Project area in Needham and Wellesley. Work is getting closer to completion. Here's the view northbound prior to the MA 9 exit:

The rest can be seen on my I-95 in Mass. Photo Gallery: http://www.malmeroads.net/mass21c/i95photos.html#addalane

roadman

Quote from: Rothman on July 27, 2018, 09:48:09 PM
I seem to remember I-86 not making it quite to the Pike at one time.  Wish I still had the Pike ticket from back then that had MA 15 marked on it.
Until I-86 was changed back to I-84, the toll tickets read MA 15 - even though I-86 did directly connect with the Pike.  Also, the signs for Exit 9 had I-86 and MA 15 shields on them.  When I-86 was changed back to I-84, and MA 15 removed from the freeway, the MA 15 shield was changed to a US 20 shield, and 'TO' added.  The revised legend was carried through on the 1995 re-signing project, however, US 20 has been relegated to secondary signs under the current West Stockbridge to Auburn sign project - which is logical, given that US 20 goes to neither Hartford nor NY City.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

PaulRAnderson

A co-worker of mine says there's a new sign on the Mass Pike in Blandford, replacing the one that says:

HIGHEST TURNPIKE
    ELEVATION 1724 FEET

NEXT HIGHEST ELEVATION
    ON I-90
    OACOMA, SOUTH DAKOTA
    1729 FEET

Can anyone confirm and post a picture?

KEVIN_224

No picture...but as I was through that area on July 17th (coming back to CT from Troy, NY), I can confirm today's sign is worded differently.

bob7374

Quote from: PaulRAnderson on August 01, 2018, 02:42:01 PM
A co-worker of mine says there's a new sign on the Mass Pike in Blandford, replacing the one that says:

HIGHEST TURNPIKE
    ELEVATION 1724 FEET

NEXT HIGHEST ELEVATION
    ON I-90
    OACOMA, SOUTH DAKOTA
    1729 FEET

No photo, but here's the official sign plan with the new wording, confirmed by those who have seen the sign:

empirestate

Quote from: PaulRAnderson on August 01, 2018, 02:42:01 PM

HIGHEST TURNPIKE
    ELEVATION 1724 FEET

NEXT HIGHEST ELEVATION
    ON I-90
    OACOMA, SOUTH DAKOTA
    1729 FEET

I can confirm; I reported this earlier in this thread:
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=10638.msg2340362#msg2340362

Mergingtraffic

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

bob7374

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on August 22, 2018, 06:22:17 PM
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3378746,-71.2671506,3a,60y,127.01h,66.02t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sa7_i5KDxInmBzYl-Mqdw7A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Some button copy goodness I found...no idea if it's still there,
No, this sign, and other entrance ramps signs, was replaced when All Electronic Tolling went into effect at the end of October 2016:

More AET sign images available at: http://www.malmeroads.net/mass21c/i90photos.html#aet

PHLBOS

Quote from: bob7374 on August 22, 2018, 11:18:44 PM
I know the reasoning behind using Series C or D (?) lettering for the control cities is due to this sign being designed to MassDOT's new (post-paddle) D6 standards but IMHO, either Series E should have been used here.  Such easily fits this sign panel.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Henry

Quote from: roadman65 on July 25, 2018, 08:30:24 PM
Did CT 15 ever have a MA counterpart where I-84 currently is from the MA Line to the Mass Pike?  I think on some old maps I did see, I believe, a mention of a MA 15 where I-84 is now located within Mass.
Yes, I remember seeing that in old maps, especially when I-86 was signed on that section instead.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Rothman

MA 15 was also on old (early 1980s) Pike tickets.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jon daly

RobbieL2415

What exactly is wrong with the Washington Bridge?  Drove over it recently prior to construction and it didn't look like it needed repair.

jon daly

Per WJAR, it's been more than 20 years since the westbound portion of the Washington Bridge was repaired.

https://turnto10.com/news/local/construction-on-interstate-195-west-to-start-sunday-night

jon daly

roadman

Quote from: PHLBOS on August 23, 2018, 09:06:38 AM
Quote from: bob7374 on August 22, 2018, 11:18:44 PM
I know the reasoning behind using Series C or D (?) lettering for the control cities is due to this sign being designed to MassDOT's new (post-paddle) D6 standards but IMHO, either Series E should have been used here.  Such easily fits this sign panel.
MassDPW's original D6/D8 (paddle) sign standards did call for variable font depending on legend length.  That is something they will be revisiting as they refine their new LGS standards.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Pete from Boston

I recall when the DCR was created some of the old MDC roads were transferred to MassDOT.  Is there a good source of info on which?  The MassDOT roads shapefile says MassDOT owns Route 16 in Medford, but some locals say this isn't the case.

roadman

Quote from: Pete from Boston on August 29, 2018, 11:23:08 PM
I recall when the DCR was created some of the old MDC roads were transferred to MassDOT.  Is there a good source of info on which?  The MassDOT roads shapefile says MassDOT owns Route 16 in Medford, but some locals say this isn't the case.
The transfer of Route 16 from DCR to MassDOT is fairly recent, and may still be in process AFAIK.  And most of the old MDC roads are still under DCR jurisdiction - it's only snow removal and other maintenance on the major parkways (Storrow Drive, Soldiers Field Road, VFW Parkway for examples) that has been transferred to MassDOT.  This change occurred shortly after a winter where some pedestrians were struck by cars - they were forced to walk in the road because the sidewalks hadn't been cleared.

5foot14

Drove through the new roundabout in Beverly at exit 18 (MA128 @ MA22). Overall it's easier to make that left onto 22 North. Not sure how I feel about the paddle signs though. Interestingly this project was fully funded by the city, as they wanted to get it done as soon as possible.

Also NJ has taken over part of MA 22 in Hamilton. :)

SM-G900P

PHLBOS

Quote from: 5foot14 on August 30, 2018, 10:50:31 AM
Drove through the new roundabout in Beverly at exit 18 (MA128 @ MA22). Overall it's easier to make that left onto 22 North. Not sure how I feel about the paddle signs though. Interestingly this project was fully funded by the city, as they wanted to get it done as soon as possible.

The D6 (paddle) sign (for northbound 22) lists the control cities in the incorrect order.  One encounters Wenham first, then Essex... with Hamilton in between.  IMHO, there's certainly room on that panel to do the Wenham/Essex combo.  Either that or MassDOT could've just stuck with the traditional (for this location) single listing for Essex.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Pete from Boston

Quote from: roadman on August 30, 2018, 10:48:09 AM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on August 29, 2018, 11:23:08 PM
The transfer of Route 16 from DCR to MassDOT is fairly recent, and may still be in process AFAIK.  And most of the old MDC roads are still under DCR jurisdiction - it's only snow removal and other maintenance on the major parkways (Storrow Drive, Soldiers Field Road, VFW Parkway for examples) that has been transferred to MassDOT.  This change occurred shortly after a winter where some pedestrians were struck by cars - they were forced to walk in the road because the sidewalks hadn't been cleared.

Thank you!

Recent as in this year?

I should clarify that I'm talking about the part west of 93.  Sometimes I forget about the fact that 16 runs all the way past Wellington east of 93.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: PHLBOS on July 26, 2018, 09:18:46 AM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on July 25, 2018, 11:41:47 PMMany mapping programs still (erroneously) refer to Mashapaug Rd as Route 15.
Even the Pilot station along that road (reachable by Exit 1 off I-84 in Sturbridge, MA) lists its address on credit card receipts as Route 15.

The Mobil station there has stenciled on its window the address "236 Route 15."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.