News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

District of Columbia

Started by Alex, April 07, 2009, 01:22:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

Quote from: cpzilliacus on December 28, 2013, 11:11:54 AM
don't give a pedestrian the right of way

What if it looks like the pedestrian wants to cross (at least to the camera), but he says no (perhaps waiting for something else)?

Quoteblock a traffic intersection

Gridlock?

And 4 posts in a row?
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

NE2

Quote from: 1 on December 28, 2013, 11:22:15 AM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on December 28, 2013, 11:11:54 AM
don't give a pedestrian the right of way

What if it looks like the pedestrian wants to cross (at least to the camera), but he says no (perhaps waiting for something else)?
Foot in crosswalk = has right-of-way. Standing on the sidewalk = no.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

NJRoadfan

Quote from: NE2 on December 28, 2013, 11:38:49 AM

This of course is dependent on district/state law. My home state of NJ requires one stops for pedestrians in a crosswalk. Is this the case in MD or VA?

http://www.nj.gov/oag/hts/pedestrian.html

cpzilliacus

Quote from: NJRoadfan on December 28, 2013, 12:20:37 PM
Quote from: NE2 on December 28, 2013, 11:38:49 AM

This of course is dependent on district/state law. My home state of NJ requires one stops for pedestrians in a crosswalk. Is this the case in MD or VA?

http://www.nj.gov/oag/hts/pedestrian.html

Code of Virginia § 46.2-924 says, in part [with emphasis added]:

QuoteA. The driver of any vehicle on a highway shall yield the right-of-way to any pedestrian crossing such highway:

1. At any clearly marked crosswalk, whether at mid-block or at the end of any block;

2. At any regular pedestrian crossing included in the prolongation of the lateral boundary lines of the adjacent sidewalk at the end of a block;

3. At any intersection when the driver is approaching on a highway or street where the legal maximum speed does not exceed 35 miles per hour.

Annotated Code of Maryland says stop in Transportation Article §21—502 [also with emphasis added]:

Quote§21—502. 

(a)   
  (1)   This subsection does not apply where:
    (i)   A pedestrian tunnel or overhead pedestrian crossing is provided, as described in § 21-503(b) of this subtitle; or
    (ii)   A traffic control signal is in operation.

(2)   The driver of a vehicle shall come to a stop when a pedestrian crossing the roadway in a crosswalk is:
    (i)   On the half of the roadway on which the vehicle is traveling; or
    (ii)   Approaching from an adjacent lane on the other half of the roadway.

(b)   A pedestrian may not suddenly leave a curb or other place of safety and walk or run into the path of a vehicle which is so close that it is impossible for the driver to yield.

(c)   If, at a marked crosswalk or at an unmarked crosswalk at an intersection, a vehicle is stopped to let a pedestrian cross the roadway, the driver of any other vehicle approaching from the rear may not overtake and pass the stopped vehicle.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

Washington Post: A month later, no clues in Ronald Kirby's murder

QuoteAnne Haynes has been thinking about going solo on the trip she and her husband planned to take to Antarctica in January. The books she's been reading on grief say it's good to get away.

QuoteShe's been reading poetry, too, a reminder of the love poems she and Ronald Kirby read to each other early in their romance. She wants to hold on to everything about him – she even hopes police eventually will be able to return the clothes, glasses and shoes he wore the day he was killed.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

cpzilliacus

Washington Post: D.C. area's longer-than-average commutes could be taking a greater toll on women

QuoteAdeyinka Ogunlegan remembers sitting at a red light on Georgia Avenue when the text-message alert came through. Her main route home to Laurel was blocked because of emergency utility repairs.

QuoteIn an instant, her run-of-the-mill commute, a drive she does daily, generally without incident, turned into a logistical nightmare.

QuoteHer 4-year-old son was waiting to be picked up at preschool and her daughter, now 3, from the babysitter's. The clock was ticking, traffic was crawling, and she still had at least 20 miles to go. She knew instinctively that a trip that normally takes her about an hour would take far more time unless she came up with a plan.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

1995hoo

The Washington Post explores why the Nationals' curly "W" logo was greened-out on BGSs in DC:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2014/02/07/what-happened-to-the-curly-w-on-d-c-freeway-signs/

Quote.... So what happened was, DDOT conducted a survey of attendees at Nationals Park about the strength of the Curly W as a traffic helper. The DDOT survey "did not provide a conclusive result on the effectiveness of the use of the logos on traffic signs,"  according to the FHWA.

So the federal agency did a follow-up "human factors evaluation,"  which concluded that "the addition of a graphic logo to the word legend on a sign took observers longer to process, requiring longer glance times to the signs containing the graphic logos.

"These longer glances did not necessarily allow for an unfamiliar user to comprehend the meaning of the graphic logo,"  the agency went on, in its message to DDOT. "Further, for familiar drivers, the addition of the logo did not enhance comprehension of the accompanying word legend. In fact, the logos evaluated generally had relatively low comprehension levels. The result was only a longer glance at the sign, but without the intended benefit of enhanced recognition of comprehension."
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

cpzilliacus

WTOP Radio: Flyover bridge unveiled in Southeast D.C.

QuoteWASHINGTON - A new flyover bridge on Interstate 695 was quietly unveiled by the District Department of Transportation on Friday in Southeast D.C.

QuoteThe new bridge provides a smooth connection between the eastbound Southeast Freeway and the outbound span of the 11th Street Bridge.

QuoteThe 11th Street Bridge Project, the District's largest road improvement project to date, is more than halfway complete. The new configuration sets the outbound side of the road in its final alignment on its approach toward the Anacostia River.

QuoteAdditionally, a new on-ramp from 8th Street SE, pictured right, will allow traffic from the Barracks Row to merge onto the new bridge in the coming weeks.

1995hoo

Funny, we saw them striping that on Thursday night on our way home from the Caps game but I had no idea it was to open so soon. I guess I won't be driving on it for a while with the NHL entering the Olympic Break.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 08, 2014, 02:33:33 PM
Funny, we saw them striping that on Thursday night on our way home from the Caps game but I had no idea it was to open so soon. I guess I won't be driving on it for a while with the NHL entering the Olympic Break.

Drove it last night (Friday).  Might be the smoothest section of elevated road I have ever driven in the District of Columbia.

1995hoo

Quote from: cpzilliacus on February 08, 2014, 05:59:04 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on February 08, 2014, 02:33:33 PM

Drove it last night (Friday).  Might be the smoothest section of elevated road I have ever driven in the District of Columbia.

Heh. We'll see if that's still true when the NHL schedule resumes!

mrsman

Good to have a new ramp.  Bad that the signage, pictured at the link, doesn't use control cities.

I-295 South/ Alexandria* / Richmond

DC 295 North to US 50 / Baltimore / Annapolis

* I would remove the reference to 95/495 since you can reach 95/495 by taking DC 295 (Greenbelt) or by taking US 50 (New Carrolton).  Of course, if you want Virginia the best way of getting there at this point is by southbound I-295.  If DDOT can replace the rest of the signs along I-295, I would prefer National Harbor as a control city over Alexandria, since I-295 goes directly there and National Harbor has become a destination in recent years.

froggie

Quote* I would remove the reference to 95/495 since you can reach 95/495 by taking DC 295 (Greenbelt) or by taking US 50 (New Carrolton).

I'd hazard a bet the 95/495 signage is intended for trucks....the preference being for trucks to take I-295 South to the Beltway instead of DC 295 (poor geometry) to B-W Pkwy (trucks illegal) or US 50 (nasty ramps at 50/Kenilworth).

cpzilliacus

Quote from: froggie on February 14, 2014, 04:39:06 PM
Quote* I would remove the reference to 95/495 since you can reach 95/495 by taking DC 295 (Greenbelt) or by taking US 50 (New Carrolton).

I'd hazard a bet the 95/495 signage is intended for trucks....the preference being for trucks to take I-295 South to the Beltway instead of DC 295 (poor geometry) to B-W Pkwy (trucks illegal) or US 50 (nasty ramps at 50/Kenilworth).

I second. 

South of the interchange, I-295 is functionally classified as a freeway.  D.C. 295 is for a short distance to the north as well.  But north of East Capitol Street, the design is pretty clearly that of an expressway - and while the ramps between Md. 201 and U.S. 50 are legal for truck traffic, they are unchanged since their design by Maryland SRC in the 1950's, and it shows.  The movement from westbound 50 to southbound 201 is a sharp cloverleaf and the movement from northbound 201 to eastbound 50 is narrow with a difficult merge at the end of the ramp.

mrsman

Quote from: cpzilliacus on February 14, 2014, 06:24:08 PM
Quote from: froggie on February 14, 2014, 04:39:06 PM

I second. 

South of the interchange, I-295 is functionally classified as a freeway.  D.C. 295 is for a short distance to the north as well.  But north of East Capitol Street, the design is pretty clearly that of an expressway - and while the ramps between Md. 201 and U.S. 50 are legal for truck traffic, they are unchanged since their design by Maryland SRC in the 1950's, and it shows.  The movement from westbound 50 to southbound 201 is a sharp cloverleaf and the movement from northbound 201 to eastbound 50 is narrow with a difficult merge at the end of the ramp.

So trucks heading to Annapolis or Baltimore from this point will go south on 295 and then reach the Beltway?

I believe that most would use the shortest legal routing:

I-695 to DC 295 north to US 50 for Annapolis

I-695 to DC 295 north to US 50 to I-95 for Baltimore, but some may opt for Kenilworth Avenue instead.

Of course, for those who don't know their way around, they may just follow the signs to I-95 and go the long way by way of National Harbor.

cpzilliacus

1995hoo

Last night we drove over the new I-695 ramp CP mentions further up this page on our way home from the AHL hockey game at Verizon Center. I agree with him, easily the smoothest section of elevated road I've driven in DC, but it's funny how they didn't smooth out the bumps between that new segment and the bridge itself. Perhaps they will do that when the remaining ramps open–I didn't get to look around much because I was focused on the other cars on the road, but Ms1995hoo said there appeared to be an entrance on the right that was still blocked off.

froggie

Quotebut Ms1995hoo said there appeared to be an entrance on the right that was still blocked off.

Likely the entrance from 8th St SE, which I believe was planned to open up some weeks after the mainline.

1995hoo

Quote from: froggie on February 24, 2014, 05:14:05 PM
Quotebut Ms1995hoo said there appeared to be an entrance on the right that was still blocked off.

Likely the entrance from 8th St SE, which I believe was planned to open up some weeks after the mainline.

That sounds right. The project calls that "Ramp E-2." It's supposed to open sometime in "early spring," according to a graphic on JDLand.com.

Do you happen to know whether the tunnel under Barney Circle that leads to the RFK Stadium Access Road will remain open once all the construction is done and the new at-grade boulevard segment is opened? There's a road connecting Barney Circle to the RFK Access Road, but it's never open, even when there's an event at the stadium (some people use it anyway). I suppose the theory is that the new connection from the 11th Street Bridge to northbound DC-295 would make it easier for people to use Benning Road to the stadium (which is what the signs tell traffic on 295 to do), and I'm sure DC would LOVE to route the stadium traffic past the speed camera on Benning Road near the Langston driving range, but I doubt most people who currently park in Lot 8 will have any interest in doing that and would instead find ways to approach the stadium from the southwest via some combination of Potomac Avenue and Independence Avenue.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 24, 2014, 12:25:21 PM
I didn't get to look around much because I was focused on the other cars on the road, but Ms1995hoo said there appeared to be an entrance on the right that was still blocked off.

She's correct.  That ramp comes up from the intersection of 8th Street and Virginia Avenue, S.E., and existed before this part of I-695 was reconstructed.  Have not looked at it from 8th Street, S.E. recently to see if anything is going on there.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: mrsman on February 21, 2014, 12:38:41 PM
So trucks heading to Annapolis or Baltimore from this point will go south on 295 and then reach the Beltway?

I believe that most would use the shortest legal routing:

I-695 to DC 295 north to US 50 for Annapolis

I-695 to DC 295 north to US 50 to I-95 for Baltimore, but some may opt for Kenilworth Avenue instead.

All correct.  I think the signage was directed at drivers from out-of-town, which are probably better off running up the extra miles to use I-295 to reach the Capital Beltway.  Drivers from the area know the routes you enumerated above, and they are legal for all commercial vehicles to use.

Quote from: mrsman on February 21, 2014, 12:38:41 PM
Of course, for those who don't know their way around, they may just follow the signs to I-95 and go the long way by way of National Harbor.

I still see (what I believe to be) a fair number of drivers with out-dated GPS units on eastbound I-695 who probably intended to follow the I-95 routing northbound around the south and east parts of the Capital Beltway but ended up on I-395 in Springfield instead of I-95. Those people are definitely better-off heading south on I-295, even though it adds more miles to their journey. 

froggie

QuoteDo you happen to know whether the tunnel under Barney Circle that leads to the RFK Stadium Access Road will remain open once all the construction is done and the new at-grade boulevard segment is opened?

Given that DDOT plans to rebuild Barney Circle as an at-grade circle as part of the completion of Southeastern Blvd, I'd say "no".

The design concepts for Barney Circle include access to that road from the circle.

1995hoo

Quote from: froggie on February 24, 2014, 07:40:50 PM
QuoteDo you happen to know whether the tunnel under Barney Circle that leads to the RFK Stadium Access Road will remain open once all the construction is done and the new at-grade boulevard segment is opened?

Given that DDOT plans to rebuild Barney Circle as an at-grade circle as part of the completion of Southeastern Blvd, I'd say "no".

The design concepts for Barney Circle include access to that road from the circle.

Thanks. For some reason, most reports I've seen have been silent about that issue, perhaps reflecting what I'd consider unwarranted optimism about the proposal to build a new soccer stadium in Buzzard Point near Nationals Park.

I'm avoiding Google Maps these days because I've found it to be unbearably slow recently, but the Bing Maps overhead view of Barney Circle gives a pretty good image of how it wouldn't be difficult at all to connect the RFK road to Pennsylvania Avenue via something better than the narrow street currently there, provided they reconfigured that triangular sidewalk/pedestrian path on the right side of the image: http://binged.it/1hOLJlm

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.