News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

US-41 Interstate Conversion

Started by ssummers72, February 10, 2009, 09:43:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgk920

It also uses the 'logical' routing through Milwaukee County - (S to N) I-94/US 41 -> I-43/894 -> I-894/US 45 -> US 45 -> US 41/45.

Also, for following US 41 'old' routings north of about Oshkosh, US 41 and its predecessor 'WI 15' followed multitudes of varying routings, with reroutes on various segments happening with amazing frequency and regularity.  Besides the Oconto and Peshtigo bypasses, the most recent major US 41 reroute north of Oshkosh was when the freeway part through Ashwaubenon opened in 1974, taking the highway off of Ashland and Lombardi Avenues (right past Lambeau Field).

Mike

I94RoadRunner

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 29, 2015, 04:11:49 PM
I have a feeling Interstate 41 may be the last Interstate ever designated in Wisconsin.
WisDOT wants to upgrade WI 29 to an interstate. Long ways off from reality and not really necessary IMHO, however it is an active plan.

I also would not be surprised if US 151 between Madison and Fond du Lac is submitted to AASHTO to become a 3di some day as a Milwaukee bypass for traffic between Madison and Green Bay. Plans are in the works to convert the entire stretch to a full freeway, so who knows .....?
Chris Kalina

“The easiest solution to fixing the I-238 problem is to redefine I-580 as I-38

FightingIrish

Quote from: mikeov1985 on June 07, 2015, 08:43:49 PM
Quote from: mikeov1985 on June 04, 2015, 10:27:12 AM
I noticed I-41 reassurance markers around Oshkosh earlier this week.

Here's one of the reassurance markers in Oshkosh.
https://flic.kr/p/u87TN2

Almost seems like the signing crews are working their way south from Green Bay to the Illinois border. Are there signs up around Appleton yet?

FightingIrish

Quote from: peterj920 on June 08, 2015, 06:48:30 PM
Quote from: Avalanchez71 on June 08, 2015, 05:48:00 PM
How does one follow US 41 in WI?

Follow Interstate 41, US 41 is cosigned with I-41 on reassurance markers.  If you feel adventurous and want to follow the old road, can take WIS 175 between Milwaukee and Fond Du Lac, that is the old route of US 41.  On the north end of Green Bay, I-41 ends but US 41 continues as a freeway for about 15 miles north until a system interchange at US 141, then it becomes an expressway with freeway bypasses of Oconto and Peshtigo.  About 5 miles north of Peshtigo, US 41 enters the City of Marinette, and that is the only part of US 41 in Wisconsin that is not a freeway or expressway.  Then there's the bridge across the Menominee River into Michigan into the City of Menominee, where US 41 enters Michigan, and you can continue up to Copper Harbor where it ends.

Well, there is Appleton Av. and Lisbon Av. in Milwaukee. Speaking of, I wonder if WISDOT plans to put up WIS 175 signs at the same time as they sign I-41 in the metro area. I'm guessing they'll go for an abrupt transition, like they did with 241.

mgk920

Quote from: FightingIrish on June 09, 2015, 07:51:02 AM
Quote from: mikeov1985 on June 07, 2015, 08:43:49 PM
Quote from: mikeov1985 on June 04, 2015, 10:27:12 AM
I noticed I-41 reassurance markers around Oshkosh earlier this week.

Here's one of the reassurance markers in Oshkosh.
https://flic.kr/p/u87TN2

Almost seems like the signing crews are working their way south from Green Bay to the Illinois border. Are there signs up around Appleton yet?

Oh yea, same as the rest of the route in NE Wisconsin.

Mike

The Ghostbuster

I still think Interstate 41 should go to Abrams. Screw the traffic counts and the fact Abrams is an unincorporated town.

hobsini2

Follow Interstate 41, US 41 is cosigned with I-41 on reassurance markers.  If you feel adventurous and want to follow the old road, can take WIS 175 between Milwaukee and Fond Du Lac, that is the old route of US 41.  On the north end of Green Bay, I-41 ends but US 41 continues as a freeway for about 15 miles north until a system interchange at US 141, then it becomes an expressway with freeway bypasses of Oconto and Peshtigo.  About 5 miles north of Peshtigo, US 41 enters the City of Marinette, and that is the only part of US 41 in Wisconsin that is not a freeway or expressway.  Then there's the bridge across the Menominee River into Michigan into the City of Menominee, where US 41 enters Michigan, and you can continue up to Copper Harbor where it ends. 
Don't forget the routing in Milwaukee Co.

The routing from circa 1985 had US 41 exit I-94 at 27th St. 27th is now Wis 241. US 41 followed 27th St north to Wis 59 National Ave. The former route turns west on National Ave and goes to what is now Wis 341 Miller Park Way, formerly the Stadium Frwy. Turn north on Miller Park Way. It continued to the end of the freeway at Lisbon Ave. Head west-northwest on Lisbon to Appleton Ave. Angle right on Appleton Ave. From there, it goes to the US 45 Zoo Freeway.

At that point in 1985, US 41 joined US 45 North. But as peterj920 ponted out, US 41 did follow what is now Wis 175 Appleton Ave. all the way to Fond du Lac.

Unfortunately, I can't tell you how it was route prior to the bypass of Fond du Lac and Oshkosh. My theory was it used to be cosigned with US 45 from Fond du Lac to Downtown Oshkosh. Once US 45 crosses the Fox River on Main St, it turns on Algoma Blvd. I believe US 41 probably continued north on Main St to the intersection with New York and Harrison. Turn slightly right to follow Harrison. Once out of Oshkosh, Harrison becomes County A. I believe 41 follow A to Neenah. It then picked up Commercial St and what is now Wis 114 and headed into Menasha and current Wis 47 north into Appleton. But as I said, this is my theory of the route from Fond du Lac to Appleton.

For the Appleton section,  I would ask MGK since he is a native there and likely knows.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

FightingIrish

That US 41 routing began in 1962, when the road was transferred from its original 27th St. to Lisbon Av. alignment. That was when the present-day Stadium Freeway was completed between National Av. and Lisbon Av. Here is a pretty good history of US 41 in Wisconsin :

http://www.wisconsinhighways.org/indepth/US-41_history.html

peterj920

Quote from: hobsini2 on June 10, 2015, 09:50:15 PM

The routing from circa 1985 had US 41 exit I-94 at 27th St. 27th is now Wis 241. US 41 followed 27th St north to Wis 59 National Ave. The former route turns west on National Ave and goes to what is now Wis 341 Miller Park Way, formerly the Stadium Frwy. Turn north on Miller Park Way. It continued to the end of the freeway at Lisbon Ave. Head west-northwest on Lisbon to Appleton Ave. Angle right on Appleton Ave. From there, it goes to the US 45 Zoo Freeway.

At that point in 1985, US 41 joined US 45 North. But as peterj920 ponted out, US 41 did follow what is now Wis 175 Appleton Ave. all the way to Fond du Lac.

Unfortunately, I can't tell you how it was route prior to the bypass of Fond du Lac and Oshkosh. My theory was it used to be cosigned with US 45 from Fond du Lac to Downtown Oshkosh. Once US 45 crosses the Fox River on Main St, it turns on Algoma Blvd. I believe US 41 probably continued north on Main St to the intersection with New York and Harrison. Turn slightly right to follow Harrison. Once out of Oshkosh, Harrison becomes County A. I believe 41 follow A to Neenah. It then picked up Commercial St and what is now Wis 114 and headed into Menasha and current Wis 47 north into Appleton. But as I said, this is my theory of the route from Fond du Lac to Appleton.

For the Appleton section,  I would ask MGK since he is a native there and likely knows.

The Milwaukee County stretch is now co-routed with I-41.  The Stadium Freeway and Lisbon Ave is going to be signed as WIS 175 so the routing will expand to follow even more of the former US 41 routing.  In Milwaukee along WIS 241, there are Historic US 41 markers that were recently installed.  Heading West on I-94 before the Stadium Interchange, there is a sign that says "TO Fond Du Lac VIA Freeway Use US 45" telling people not to follow US 41 through the city when heading out of Milwaukee.  In the future, the Stadium Freeway won't be a full freeway, the Stadium Interchange is going to be reconstructed and downgraded when the North-South Freeway is reconstructed, traffic will be free flow off of I-94, but there will be Left Turn Only traffic signals for motorists that want to turn left from WIS 175 to I-94.  I'm guessing the DOT did not think a full free flow interchange was not justified for the cost, but still wanted to create a high level interchange with some cost savings.  I hope my description wasn't too confusing but here's an exhibit, this was made before the I-41 conversion. http://dot.wi.gov/projects/seregion/94stadiumint/docs/eastlegoffalign.pdf

mgk920

(After WI 15 became US 41 in the late 1920s)
-In Racine and Kenosha Counties, US 41 is on its original grade (now I-41/94/US 41).
-In Milwaukee County, US 41 used 27th St (part is WI 241), Lisbon Ave and Appleton Ave (now WI 175 northwest of the Stadium Freeway).
-Between Milwaukee and Oshkosh, with several minor reroutes over the years, US 41 used what is now WI 175 (ex-WI 175 between US 151 on FdL's south edge and Oshkosh, now county highways) until the present I-41 routing (originally a two lane highway) was opened in about 1948.  The current I-41 alignment was 'tweaked' here and there over the years as the highway was progressively upgraded.
-In the City of Oshkosh, US 41 used Main St, Murdock Ave and Jackson St (latter is now WI 76).  In an interesting pairing, US 45 originally used 22nd Ave, Oregon and Jackson Sts through town.  (Before US 45 was designated in Wisconsin, it was 'WI 26' north of Oshkosh.)
-North of Oshkosh, US 41 used multitudes of different routings that changed on a regular and frequent basis has the highway was progressively upgraded going all the way back to when the original WI 15 was signed in the late 1910s.  The most recent major reroute was when the freeway (now I-41) through Ashwaubenon was opened in 1974, taking US 41 off of Ashland and Lombardi Aves (right past Lambeau Field).  The route was realigned slightly when the Breezewood Ln/Bell St interchange and a railroad grade separation were completed on Neenah's south edge in 1975, ditto for the interchange at what is now US 10/WI 441.

Mike

OCGuy81

I actually like the I and US 41 shields side by side.  Kind of cool to see!

It'd be really cool to see some state named I-41 shields put up, but that's wishful thinking. 

SEWIGuy

Quote from: mgk920 on June 11, 2015, 01:39:57 AM

-In Racine and Kenosha Counties, US 41 is on its original grade (now I-41/94/US 41).
-In Milwaukee County, US 41 used 27th St (part is WI 241), Lisbon Ave and Appleton Ave (now WI 175 northwest of the Stadium Freeway).
-Between Milwaukee and Oshkosh, with several minor reroutes over the years, US 41 used what is now WI 175 (ex-WI 175 between US 151 on FdL's south edge and Oshkosh, now county highways) until the present I-41 routing (originally a two lane highway) was opened in about 1948.  The current I-41 alignment was 'tweaked' here and there over the years as the highway was progressively upgraded.
-In the City of Oshkosh, US 41 used Main St, Murdock Ave and Jackson St (latter is now WI 76).  In an interesting pairing, US 45 originally used 22nd Ave, Oregon and Jackson Sts through town.  (Before US 45 was designated in Wisconsin, it was 'WI 26' north of Oshkosh.)
-North of Oshkosh, US 41 used multitudes of different routings that changed on a regular and frequent basis has the highway was progressively upgraded going all the way back to when the original WI 15 was signed in the late 1910s.  The most recent major reroute was when the freeway (now I-41) through Ashwaubenon was opened in 1974, taking US 41 off of Ashland and Lombardi Aves (right past Lambeau Field).  The route was realigned slightly when the Breezewood Ln/Bell St interchange and a railroad grade separation were completed on Neenah's south edge in 1975, ditto for the interchange at what is now US 10/WI 441.

Mike

Not to be nitpicky, but the bolded part isn't 100% true.  For its first decade US-41 entered Illinois along what is now WI-31.  As you went south, you jogged eastward from the current route to WI-31 south of the current WI-142.

Here is a complete history of all changes courtesy of Chris Bessert.

mgk920

Quote from: SEWIGuy on June 12, 2015, 01:04:38 PMNot to be nitpicky, but the bolded part isn't 100% true.  For its first decade US-41 entered Illinois along what is now WI-31.  As you went south, you jogged eastward from the current route to WI-31 south of the current WI-142.

I was wondering a bit about the history of north-south main roads in that area, including WI 15/US 41, seeing as the pre-numbered highways era Yellowstone Trail transited that area north-south roughly along modern-day WI 32/Sheridan Rd, but that there were other major north-south roads to the west.

Mike

The Ghostbuster

Off topic: Does anyone know if www.wisconsinhighways.org will ever be updated? It's last update was January 31, 2009.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on June 12, 2015, 03:46:29 PM
Off topic: Does anyone know if www.wisconsinhighways.org will ever be updated? It's last update was January 31, 2009.

You can find Chris Bessert's contact information on that site.  He has posted here before but not very often.

getemngo

Chris doesn't really participate in the community anymore besides lurking in a couple Facebook groups. OntarioHighways.org and WisconsinHighways.org didn't get the 2013 redesign (still in progress) that MichiganHighways.org received, which is a pretty bad sign for both of them.
~ Sam from Michigan

Right on Red

The I-41 signs are all up south to about Lomira (WI 67), according to some friends of mine. They also saw signing crews taking down Speed Limit 65 signs. 70 time? :nod:

SSOWorld

Quote from: Right on Red on June 12, 2015, 06:12:33 PM
The I-41 signs are all up south to about Lomira (WI 67), according to some friends of mine. They also saw signing crews taking down Speed Limit 65 signs. 70 time? :nod:
Likely - I haven't seen them at La Crosse yet. (Speed Limit 70 signs, not I-41 signs :awesomeface: )
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Mrt90

I drove from Kenosha to Germantown today. On northbound trip, I saw 3 I-41 signs between Good Hope Rd and Hwy 167 East.  On the southbound return, I saw a number of I-41 signs north of the zoo interchange, along the 894 bypass, and all the way through Milwaukee County.  The last one I saw was near Ryan Rd in Oak Creek.  I didn't see any in Racine or Kenosha Counties.

Icewolf

In addition, there is a WI-175 sign posted on the northbound (Milwaukee) Stadium Freeway at Vliet St.  Most of the US-41 signs on that corridor remain.

SSOWorld

Milwaukee County was given priority (probably (FAILing) to reduce confusion).  The rest was from north to south.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Mrt90

Quote from: SEWIGuy on June 12, 2015, 01:04:38 PM
Quote from: mgk920 on June 11, 2015, 01:39:57 AM

Mike

Not to be nitpicky, but the bolded part isn't 100% true.  For its first decade US-41 entered Illinois along what is now WI-31.  As you went south, you jogged eastward from the current route to WI-31 south of the current WI-142.

This probably is being nitpicky, but that portion of WI142 is now Cty Hwy S.  And WI31 was rerouted a little bit west in the 1990's when a new 4/6 lane divided Hwy 31 was created, so most of that old US 41 route, except just South of Hwy50 and just north of the state line, followed what is now Old Green Bay Road.

Revive 755

Quote from: Mrt90 on June 12, 2015, 10:31:18 PM
I drove from Kenosha to Germantown today. On northbound trip, I saw 3 I-41 signs between Good Hope Rd and Hwy 167 East.  On the southbound return, I saw a number of I-41 signs north of the zoo interchange, along the 894 bypass, and all the way through Milwaukee County.  The last one I saw was near Ryan Rd in Oak Creek.  I didn't see any in Racine or Kenosha Counties.

There's one on EB I-94 just south of the first exist in Racine County.  Northbound the first I-41 shield appears on I-894 west of WI 36.  Between I-94 at the Zoo Interchange and Green Bay the I-41 shields are installed seemingly randomly (at least for NB), as there will be a couple interchanges followed by I-41 shields on the mainline, then a few interchanges without I-41 shields, and then I-41 shields return for a few more interchanges.

Around the interchange with WI 172, there is an NB overhead sign with only an I-41 shield and a control city of Marinette.

FightingIrish

I saw quite a few along the right shoulder going southbound on the Zoo Freeway and I-894. US 41 is cosigned. Overhead BGS remain unchanged so far. I'll try and snap pics.

FightingIrish

Here it is, on the Bypass northbound:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.