News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

US-41 Interstate Conversion

Started by ssummers72, February 10, 2009, 09:43:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgk920

Quote from: dalemidex on July 19, 2015, 08:39:02 PM
Has anyone noticed that (at least several of) the southbound signs on 41 telling how many miles to the next cities have Milwaukee covered?  For example as you head south from Lomira it used to say  "Allenton  8" on the first line and then "Milwaukee 36" on the second line.  Now the Milwaukee line is covered up.  Sign after sign is this way.   (Note that I'm not positive that particular sign was 36 to Milwaukee, but you get the point.)  This is found on sign after sign.

If I'm not mistaken the standard in Wisconsin is to measure mileage from the center of the city, not the moment you hit the outer edge of city limits.  It's true that the new I-41 routing (following the 894 bypass) no longer passes through the downtown Marquette Interchange.  However it still seems like a poor decision.

(a) I-41 still passes through Milwaukee.  Between the initial stretch on the northwest side, the area which includes the Zoo Interchange, and the miles around the Mitchell Interchange and the airport, I-41 runs for close to ten miles within the Milwaukee civil boundaries.

(b) Prior to US-41 being routed with 94 from the Stadium Interchange east, the highway never came within 2 miles of "downtown".  So those signs on US-41 saying how many miles to Milwaukee were either not measured to downtown Milwaukee, or were referring to a distance to downtown Milwaukee which required leaving US-41.

(c) Many interstates don't pass close to the core of the city, yet there's no issue listing the number of miles to that city.

Anybody  else notice this, or know if they've boarded over Milwaukee mileage on the entire southbound stretch?  I just don't see why this is a good idea.

WisDOT also nuked 'Oshkosh' and 'Waupun' from WI 26 along US 151 in the Waupun area and I-41 in the Oshkosh area, opting for 'Rosendale', instead.  This, even though WI 26 enters both cities (the Planeview Truck Stop at I-41/WI 26 is in the City of Oshkosh).

Mike

peterj920

WisDOT also nuked 'Oshkosh' and 'Waupun' from WI 26 along US 151 in the Waupun area and I-41 in the Oshkosh area, opting for 'Rosendale', instead.  This, even though WI 26 enters both cities (the Planeview Truck Stop at I-41/WI 26 is in the City of Oshkosh).

Mike

I think WISDOT took those control cities down because they would prefer regional traffic to take US 151 to I-41 to go to Oshkosh and vice versa to Waupun since they're both 4 lanes.  On the DOT website, it states  "The actual travel time only increases by approximately two to three minutes due to the access controlled roadways and higher speed limits of the detour route."  I've never seen the DOT talk about the benefits of a detour route before and it confirms my theory on why those signs were changed. 

GeekJedi

Agreed. The signs have actually been like that for some time now...I'm guessing that the change was made after the 151 Bypass was completed.

As for the "Milwaukee" signs - those have also been like that for a while. Not sure what the thinking was - If I'm not mistaken, the Granville interchange is actually in Milwaukee, so the road does go through there.
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

mgk920

Quote from: GeekJedi on July 21, 2015, 09:51:16 AM
Agreed. The signs have actually been like that for some time now...I'm guessing that the change was made after the 151 Bypass was completed.

As for the "Milwaukee" signs - those have also been like that for a while. Not sure what the thinking was - If I'm not mistaken, the Granville interchange is actually in Milwaukee, so the road does go through there.

Yepper, that interchange is in Milwaukee.  The Granville area is the former Granville Township, which, after about six years of litigation, was formally merged into the city in 1962.  The city limits in that area are 124th St and County Line Rd (there is a very tiny piece of Washington county at the NW corner of 124th/County Line that is also in Milwaukee).

Mike

SSOWorld

Quote from: peterj920 on July 20, 2015, 02:50:03 AM

Mike

I think WISDOT took those control cities down because they would prefer regional traffic to take US 151 to I-41 to go to Oshkosh and vice versa to Waupun since they're both 4 lanes.  On the DOT website, it states  "The actual travel time only increases by approximately two to three minutes due to the access controlled roadways and higher speed limits of the detour route."  I've never seen the DOT talk about the benefits of a detour route before and it confirms my theory on why those signs were changed. 
2 to 3 minutes?

*yawn*
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

SEWIGuy

It does make you wonder if WIDOT would ever take the step of demoting WI-26 to a county highway north of Waupun as another step to encourage people to use the I-41/US-151 route. 

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: SSOWorld on July 21, 2015, 01:24:17 PM
Quote from: peterj920 on July 20, 2015, 02:50:03 AM

Mike

2 to 3 minutes?

*yawn*

From google maps it looks like it would be more than "2 to 3 minutes" because WI 26 does seem more direct and bypasses any possible congestion in Fond du Lac. It seems to me that the largest establishment along that part of WI 26 is Rosendale which is an astounding 1 traffic light bound to make horrible backups of up to 1 minute!
Sarcasm intended.
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

Big John

^^ Traffic backs up significantly at that traffic signal during heavier traffic times.

peterj920

Quote from: SEWIGuy on July 21, 2015, 06:11:03 PM
It does make you wonder if WIDOT would ever take the step of demoting WI-26 to a county highway north of Waupun as another step to encourage people to use the I-41/US-151 route.

I don't think they will do that.  They're currently giving the road a facelift and modifying a curve and there is a digital message board just south of Oshkosh.  They've also been patrolling the road VIA airplane at times.  There is a lot of heavy traffic on Wis 26, and they realize it will stay busy.  But they would like to divert as much traffic as they can off of 26, and they're hoping people use the current detour after Wis 26 opens

peterj920

North of Oshkosh the Milwaukee distance signs are still intact and are fairly new, no idea why they would be covered south of Fond Du Lac, especially since Milwaukee is being used as the control city from every interchange in De Pere south to Milwaukee

GeekJedi

Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on July 21, 2015, 06:37:23 PM
From google maps it looks like it would be more than "2 to 3 minutes" because WI 26 does seem more direct and bypasses any possible congestion in Fond du Lac. It seems to me that the largest establishment along that part of WI 26 is Rosendale which is an astounding 1 traffic light bound to make horrible backups of up to 1 minute!
Sarcasm intended.

It does look that way, but it's not. As someone else mentions, that light can back traffic up, plus 26 is a two lane 55 (in some parts) MPH road that even though is currently being improved is still the kind of road that you can easily find yourself behind a farm implement doing 30 MPH in an area where there is no passing for a mile or two.

Meanwhile, 151 is four lanes and 65, while I-41 is four lanes and 70.

jreuschl

Wouldn't Rosendale want the additional ticket revenue? :)

SM-N910P

GeekJedi

They do seem to enjoy it, to the point where Rosedale has become a legendary speed trap. Another reason why I don't mind seeing people running the 151 to 41 route!  :-)

peterj920

Quote from: GeekJedi on July 26, 2015, 11:57:56 AM
They do seem to enjoy it, to the point where Rosedale has become a legendary speed trap. Another reason why I don't mind seeing people running the 151 to 41 route!  :-)

Even if fewer people drive on Wis 26, Rosendale still has Wis 23 to patrol, that road carries about 6000 vpd, about 3000 fewer than Wis 26 but still quite a few vehicles.  Unlike Wis 26, there isn't an alternate route to avoid Rosendale. 

JREwing78

The interchange they built for Hwy 26 at US-151 east of Waupun strongly suggests eventual 4-laning of Hwy 26 around Rosendale. It is way overkill for a 2-lane road. However, since the current legislature is adverse to both fuel tax hikes and additional bonding (can't say I blame them), it's going to be a while before that becomes reality.

machias

I drove Appleton to Oshkosh several times last week and noticed that all of the reassurance markers have been updated with an I-41 / US 41 combo, but none of the markers at ramps or overhead signs had been updated yet.

peterj920

Quote from: upstatenyroads on July 28, 2015, 09:07:19 AM
I drove Appleton to Oshkosh several times last week and noticed that all of the reassurance markers have been updated with an I-41 / US 41 combo, but none of the markers at ramps or overhead signs had been updated yet.

The overhead signs at the Wis 172 interchange were updated, and the signs were also updated along the Collector/Distributor overheads along I-41 north at the Wis 29 interchange

Icewolf

In the Milwaukee area, mileage markers north of the Zoo Interchange are starting to be updated with the I-41 and US 45 shields.  In addition, as part of the I-41/Appleton Ave. interchange southbound, one of the BGS after the exit ramp has been signed with WI 175; the sign assembly after this (for the reentry ramp back to I-41) still has US-41 signed for Appleton Ave.  The preceding exit signs have the US 41 shield removed.

Brandon

That's about how WisDOT went about signing I-39 back in the 1990s.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

SEWIGuy

Quote from: Brandon on July 28, 2015, 10:40:03 AM

That's about how WisDOT went about signing I-39 back in the 1990s.

Exactly.  It took months to change out all the signs.  Did people really think everything would be updated in just a few weeks?

mgk920

EAA week?  I was on the grounds everyday doing volunteer work.  You should've said 'hello', I'd have happily hosted a mini-meet.

;-)

If that was the case, there is a temporary sign that is placed opposite the EAA grounds' main Camp Scholler campground entrance on the I-41 east frontage road (Poberezny Dr) that had a blank 'interstate' shield next to a US 41 sign directing exiting camping traffic back to the highway.  This was the case for the past two or three years.  This year, the same sign was back up, except that this time the crew who controls that sign hastily added a white '41' to the interstate shield.

(That's I-41 between the sign and the car dealer in the background)

Mike

machias

Quote from: mgk920 on July 28, 2015, 11:56:46 AM

EAA week?  I was on the grounds everyday doing volunteer work.  You should've said 'hello', I'd have happily hosted a mini-meet.

;-)

If that was the case, there is a temporary sign that is placed opposite the EAA grounds' main Camp Scholler campground entrance on the I-41 east frontage road (Poberezny Dr) that had a blank 'interstate' shield next to a US 41 sign directing exiting camping traffic back to the highway.  This was the case for the past two or three years.  This year, the same sign was back up, except that this time the crew who controls that sign hastily added a white '41' to the interstate shield.

Mike

Yes, I flew into Oshkosh and was there Wednesday to Sunday. I worked the admissions gate as a volunteer.  I noticed that I-41 sign - I don't remember the blank interstate shield from last year but I really noticed that font in the interstate shield this year.

mgk920

Quote from: upstatenyroads on July 28, 2015, 12:27:19 PM

;-)

Mike

Yes, I flew into Oshkosh and was there Wednesday to Sunday. I worked the admissions gate as a volunteer.  I noticed that I-41 sign - I don't remember the blank interstate shield from last year but I really noticed that font in the interstate shield this year.

If, while working the main gate, you saw a 'Cart' going by on that main road that was driven by a guy wearing a cap that was loaded with 'dreadlocks' of volunteer patches, that was me.

:cool:

Maybe next year!

:cheers:

Mike

DaBigE

;-)

Mike

You beat me to the post, Mike. I saw those when I was up at EAA on Thursday. I don't recall where exactly along the frontage road it was, but one or a couple of those directional guide signs only had a US 41 shield on them and not the duals as your photo shows.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Right on Red

As for EAA's maps,

2013's just has "HWY 41". I can't find 2014 maps, unforturnately. 2015 has "I-41", and this year's Camp Scholler map has I-41 shields.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.