News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

US-41 Interstate Conversion

Started by ssummers72, February 10, 2009, 09:43:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SEWIGuy

Quote from: NE2 on June 02, 2013, 09:04:17 AM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on June 02, 2013, 08:40:20 AM
The real question is "how would changing it help with navigation?"
Moving 41 onto 141 would make it clearer which route to Houghton is better. Whatever replaces existing US 41 would end at Marquette.

Incidentally, 41 was originally planned to cut directly north from Powers-Spalding to Marquette, and 141 was 102 (only north of 2).

Changing long-standing route numbers rarely helps navigation.

Fox 11 News

media advisory from DOT:

Media invited to opening for new Lake Butte Des Morts Causeway!
WisDOT June 11 ribbon cutting held on the bridge.

(Green Bay) The Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT), along with the West Side Association, is announcing a celebration and ribbon cutting for the new Lake Butte des Morts Causeway. State, local and tribal dignitaries will help open the driving lanes.

When:           1 p.m. Tuesday, June 11
Where:            New northbound US 41 causeway traffic lanes, Lake Butte Des Morts Bridge, Oshkosh (Please see attached parking map for further details)

The celebration will include remarks by Transportation Secretary Mark Gottlieb, P.E., Wisconsin Tribal Representative Dave Grignon, and Oshkosh Chamber President John Casper.  Following the brief ceremony and ribbon cutting, individual media interviews will be made available, including lead engineers and designers for the structure.

All lanes will be open in a few weeks, but the bike-pedestrian recreational trail across the causeway and fishing access on Lake Butte des Morts will not be complete until fall. Please see www.us41wisconsin.gov for bridge and construction details.

Fox 11 News

Big John

Quote from: Fox 11 News on June 13, 2013, 09:47:07 AM
Here's the coverage of the above note:
http://www.fox11online.com/dpp/news/local/fox_cities/ribbon-cutting-held-for-expanded-lake-butte-des-morts-causeway
Did the project manager really say it was going from two to six lanes?  It was four lanes prior to construction.

mgk920

Quote from: Big John on June 13, 2013, 01:18:33 PM
Quote from: Fox 11 News on June 13, 2013, 09:47:07 AM
Here's the coverage of the above note:
http://www.fox11online.com/dpp/news/local/fox_cities/ribbon-cutting-held-for-expanded-lake-butte-des-morts-causeway
Did the project manager really say it was going from two to six lanes?  It was four lanes prior to construction.

Well, before about 1968, it was a two-lane low-level crossing with a bascule drawspan in the middle.  Traffic delays there were the stuff of legend, especially on holiday weekends.

Mike

Fox 11 News

DaBigE

Driver's eye view of the Green Bay-area 41 construction courtesy of the Green Bay Press-Gazette: http://bcove.me/zb6vyn1s
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

FightingIrish

Quote from: Molandfreak on February 12, 2013, 11:46:21 AM
Quote from: Anthony_JK on February 12, 2013, 11:29:33 AM
Personally, if I had my druthers, I'd terminate I-41 at the Hale Interchange, and also get rid of the I-894 concurrence entirely. That eliminates the "east of I-43" problem south of Milwaukee quite nicely. Why extend it just to truncate it at the IL border??
Or the Zoo interchange which eliminates the wrong-way concurrency, and have I-43 by itself on the east-west portion of I-894.

It sounds like WISDOT is keeping I-894 signed, as it is well-known (nobody calls the Greenfield portion I-43 anyways) and serves as an effective I-94 bypass around the city. The I-41/43 wrong-way concurrency is quite humorous, too.

Quote from: GeekJedi on February 12, 2013, 02:57:32 PM
"Current US 41 from I-94 at the Miller Park interchange to the interchange with US 45 will be re-numbered to a state highway."

My vote?  Extend WI-175 and terminate it at WI-59.  It eliminates the "phantom" WI-341 and prevents another short, random highway.  It's an obvious "natural" extension.

It could conceivably be either WIS 341 or 175. WIS 341 makes sense, as it could compliment WIS 241 as a 'historic' route of US 41. Resigning Stadium/Lisbon/Appleton as WIS 175 probably makes more sense, as Appleton already carries that designation northwest of US 45, and is set to be turned over to local control in Washington County, truncating WIS 175 to pretty much Menomonee Falls. Signing the whole thing south to National Av. as WIS 175 means fewer new signs. My prediction is WIS 175, mostly for the cost factor.

Quote from: triplemultiplex on February 12, 2013, 09:05:38 PM
Quote from: Revive 755 on February 11, 2013, 10:59:41 PM
As for the road itself, is US 45 really interstate standard north of the Zoo interchange?  The hills and curves don't seem up to par.

It's fine north of North Ave.  South of there is about to be reconstructed so it's not going to matter in a few years.  The curve & hills associated with the railroad overpass between North Ave. and Mayfair Rd. are definitely substandard.  But the fix is in the pipeline so good enough for me.

US 45 from Milwaukee County through to Washington County (to the West Bend split) was brought up to Interstate standards about a decade ago, with repaving, rebuilding, widening and shoulder work (it was around the time of the reconstruction of the Good Hope/WIS 145 interchange). I've seen far more extreme curves and hills on other interstates (Plainfield Curve, anyone?). The only question mark is the arched pedestrian bridge just north of Center St. It is the only bridge over the freeway that has a height warning on it (it's 14 ft. on the ends). If the FHA has a problem with it, the bridge can easily be removed. But considering the massive amount of heavy truck traffic on that section of the freeway, I'm sure the whole thing was sorted out a long time ago.

Quote from: SEWIGuy on May 13, 2013, 08:57:11 AM
Quote from: Lyon Wonder on May 12, 2013, 08:40:24 PM
Maybe US-41 should be truncated to avoid confusion with I-41 after the freeway upgrades in WI are complete, since I-41 is the designation WDOT seems to be going with?  Of course it would require the cooperation of MI since they have a short segment of US-41.  The new northern end of US-41 could be at the interchange with the I-94 Tri-State Tollway just south of the WI border in IL, which provides direct continuity with US-41 and I-41. 

I don't think there will be any confusion whatsoever.  US-41 will disappear...it will be replaced with I-41...and then reappear north of Green Bay.  Same number, same highway with just a different color shield.  Most of the travelling public will take it in stride.

It will likely be a hidden concurrency, similar to ones I've seen in Minnesota. US 41 goes hidden at the Illinois border and picks up again past Green Bay. The numbering of I-41 does make for an easy transition. Running it to the border makes it less likely they'll have to renumber as many exits.

mgk920

Quote from: FightingIrish on July 02, 2013, 11:29:48 AM
"Current US 41 from I-94 at the Miller Park interchange to the interchange with US 45 will be re-numbered to a state highway."

My vote?  Extend WI-175 and terminate it at WI-59.  It eliminates the "phantom" WI-341 and prevents another short, random highway.  It's an obvious "natural" extension.

It could conceivably be either WIS 341 or 175. WIS 341 makes sense, as it could compliment WIS 241 as a 'historic' route of US 41. Resigning Stadium/Lisbon/Appleton as WIS 175 probably makes more sense, as Appleton already carries that designation northwest of US 45, and is set to be turned over to local control in Washington County, truncating WIS 175 to pretty much Menomonee Falls. Signing the whole thing south to National Av. as WIS 175 means fewer new signs. My prediction is WIS 175, mostly for the cost factor.

I hadn't heard about that planned turnback.  When will this happen and how far north will it go, all the way to US 151 (less the parts that are combined with other state highways)?  What about the north end of WI 83 (will it then be a 'hanging' end)?  What will it then be designated as (my vote - County 'YT' for 'Yellowstone Trail')?

BTW, welcome abroad!

:wave:

Mike

Jordanah1

An update on the construction progress.
Northbound US41 traffic is now using right two lanes from witzel ave all the way to the causeway, and are using the center two lanes over the causeway. The median barriers along the entire construction stretch from witzel to US45 are nearly complete, with only a handful of 5-6foot sections remaining where light pole bases are being installed. The light poles have arrived and as of yesterday are still on a truck, and some of the overhead signs have been installed, while the rest remain near the median. The causeway and other nearby sections should be done within 2 weeks if guess, as the WI 21 overpass still needs some paint, and once the temporary barriers are removed from southbound US 41 the final striping can be done.
"Oshkosh"- "Oh, you mean like 'Oshkosh BGosh'?"

SEWIGuy

Quote from: mgk920 on July 02, 2013, 11:58:35 AM

I hadn't heard about that planned turnback.  When will this happen and how far north will it go, all the way to US 151 (less the parts that are combined with other state highways)?  What about the north end of WI 83 (will it then be a 'hanging' end)?  What will it then be designated as (my vote - County 'YT' for 'Yellowstone Trail')?

BTW, welcome abroad!

Mike

You could easily extend WI-83 along WI-175 to WI-33 in Allenton...about three miles.

Or end it at WI-60 in downtown Hartford too.

FightingIrish

Quote from: mgk920 on July 02, 2013, 11:58:35 AM

BTW, welcome abroad!

Mike

Thank ya!  :wave:

This is where I saw the information about WIS 175:

http://www.wisconsinhighways.org/listings/WiscHwys170-179.html#STH-175

I assume they'll end it either at the 41/45 intersection with County Line Rd. or the next exit, Lannon Rd., if they want to extend WIS 175 past the new retail development and the new Walmart.

Between WIS 83 and WIS 33 is a no-brainer. Easy to make it WIS 83.

The convenient thing about decommissioning WIS 175 in Washington County is that they could simply reuse the signs for a new Milwaukee renumbering. :)

SEWIGuy

Oh that's Chris Bessert's page...it hasn't been updated in over four years.  But he posts around here so he might have more info.

FightingIrish

Quote from: SEWIGuy on July 02, 2013, 02:48:13 PM
Oh that's Chris Bessert's page...it hasn't been updated in over four years.  But he posts around here so he might have more info.

Seems like many of the road sites haven't been updated in years, except this one. Kurumi looks the same as it did ten years ago.  Nonetheless, some pretty detailed information.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: FightingIrish on July 02, 2013, 05:40:39 PM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on July 02, 2013, 02:48:13 PM

Seems like many of the road sites haven't been updated in years, except this one. Kurumi looks the same as it did ten years ago.  Nonetheless, some pretty detailed information.

I have noticed the same thing.  I wonder if part of it is that people go to wikipedia for a lot of that information now.

Fixed quote -Alex

vtk

When you hit the "quote" button, make sure you scroll all the way down in the quick-reply box before you start typing your reply.  As you've learned the hard way, it's easy to just start typing after the first [/quote] you see, which is sometimes still in the middle of a larger quote which causes the problem.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Joe The Dragon

Now IF it becomes I-41 should I-294 become I-41?? It was once U.S. Highway 41 Toll

Brandon

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on July 03, 2013, 01:41:22 PM
Now IF it becomes I-41 should I-294 become I-41?? It was once U.S. Highway 41 Toll

That's good for a laugh.  IDOT will end I-41 at the border, and I just don't see ISTHA interested in it.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

FightingIrish

Illinois was the party that put the brakes on a proposal to rename it I-55. Mainly because they didn't want to put up any more I-55 signs on their side. They sure as hell aren't going to renumbered I-294. Plus, there's that whole Lake Shore Drive thing.

Molandfreak

Quote from: FightingIrish on July 03, 2013, 02:15:24 PM

Illinois was the party that put the brakes on a proposal to rename it I-55. Mainly because they didn't want to put up any more I-55 signs on their side. They sure as hell aren't going to renumbered I-294. Plus, there's that whole Lake Shore Drive thing.
Uhh... They sure might.

Quote from: Revive 755 on December 06, 2012, 07:27:17 PM
Rumor through an IDOT employee has it IDOT will be signing I-41 for the short overlap with I-94, though there is the off chance there could be a push to extend the I-41 designation in the future.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

english si

Rumor through an IDOT employee has it IDOT will be signing I-41 for the short overlap with I-94, though there is the off chance there could be a push to extend the I-41 designation in the future.
Given I-94 is to be renumbered I-69, they might as well have it terminate in Millwaukee ;)

Molandfreak

Quote from: english si on July 03, 2013, 05:19:24 PM
Given I-94 is to be renumbered I-69, they might as well have it terminate in Millwaukee ;)
what
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: Molandfreak on July 03, 2013, 08:52:12 PM
Quote from: english si on July 03, 2013, 05:19:24 PM
what

I-94 from Chicago to Detroit is 'technically' part of all that I-69 bollocks, according to the legislation.  It can be I-69Q. :lol

There are many more Wisconsin state highways worth turning back before WI 175.  That was all speculation on Chris Bessert's part.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

english si

sorry, I wasn't clear as to what might terminate in Millwaukee - I-94, with I-41 being sole (interstate) designation from I-43 down to I-90.

though, of course, I was being facetious.
Quote from: triplemultiplex on July 03, 2013, 09:00:57 PMI-94 from Chicago to Detroit is 'technically' part of all that I-69 bollocks, according to the legislation.  It can be I-69Q. :lol
Or I-69Z, with the 6 'accidentally' tiny on every sign and the Z looking like a 2...

Shame that 4 doesn't have a clear letter replacement.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: SEWIGuy on June 02, 2013, 10:21:35 AM
Quote from: NE2 on June 02, 2013, 09:04:17 AM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on June 02, 2013, 08:40:20 AM
The real question is "how would changing it help with navigation?"
Moving 41 onto 141 would make it clearer which route to Houghton is better. Whatever replaces existing US 41 would end at Marquette.

Incidentally, 41 was originally planned to cut directly north from Powers-Spalding to Marquette, and 141 was 102 (only north of 2).
Changing long-standing route numbers rarely helps navigation.
US 27 called, they want back in MI.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.