News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

US-41 Interstate Conversion

Started by ssummers72, February 10, 2009, 09:43:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FightingIrish

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 22, 2013, 11:21:11 AM
Quote from: FightingIrish on July 22, 2013, 11:14:38 AM
So, when US 41 (Appleton Av) in Milwaukee gets resigned as a different route, does that mean that they'll uproot this classic sign?

that street appears to be under city maintenance.  the sign is so old that it appears the state has forgotten about it.  it likely will not be replaced as part of a state-highway renumbering, but rather when the City of Milwaukee next decides to make improvements to the street.

there are some straggler US-16 shields on county roads in Wisconsin which fall into the same category: forgotten by the state, ignored by the city or county.

Yes, it is a city-maintained street (91st St.). And that section underwent a massive reconstruction last year (the mess has now moved south to Capitol Dr.). I hope the sign stays, as I always appreciate a classic.

FightingIrish

Quote from: mgk920 on July 21, 2013, 11:48:43 AM
Quote from: Revive 755 on July 20, 2013, 10:50:24 PM
I've been wondering lately that given the construction on I-94 in Illinois at the split with US 41 and because the construction will requiring placing new overhead signs if Illinois will end up signing I-41 before Wisconsin does.

Well, the bill to 'grandfather' US 41's big-rig weight limits is finding little resistance in Congress, so early to mid 2014 sounds likely in Wisconsin.  Maybe IDOT will leave blank spaces in their relevant BGSes for the shields to go.  OTOH, one '[US 41] follow [I-41]' sign by the northbound merge, an 'END/I-41' sign by the southbound split and a couple of reassurance signs wouldn't take long nor cost all that much to put in.  It also doesn't take all that long to drill out some rivets in order to modify a BGS.

I'd be interested in seeing how it will be signed by the interchange on Russell Rd.

Mike

Now it's on its way to a House and Senate vote within the next few weeks. If, by chance it does not pass, WISDOT will not put up I-41 signs, so as to allow heavier trucks on the highways. I'm pretty sure it will pass.

http://www.fox11online.com/dpp/news/wisconsin/interstate-41-weight-limit-bill-passes-house-committee

...Passage of the so-called grandfathering legislation is the first of three crucial steps that must be taken before the highway-interstate conversion can be approved. State transportation officials also have to complete and submit an environmental impact report and then finalize an agreement with the Federal Highway Administration.

The Wisconsin Department of Transportation plans to hold public hearings on a draft environmental report on Sept. 10, 11 and 12, and finalize the report by early October, according to the agency's project manager, Tammy Rabe.

If all goes according to plan (and it should), conversion will be approved late this year or early next year.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20130716/GPG0101/307160325/Bipartisan-bill-U-S-41-truck-allowance-advances-through-Congress

SSOWorld

Its a wonder what they spend our tax dollars on...
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: SSOWorld on July 22, 2013, 02:32:11 PM

Like what? F-22's?  Corn subsidies?  Health care for poor people?

Stay on topic, dude.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

SEWIGuy

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 22, 2013, 11:21:11 AM
Quote from: FightingIrish on July 22, 2013, 11:14:38 AM
So, when US 41 (Appleton Av) in Milwaukee gets resigned as a different route, does that mean that they'll uproot this classic sign?

that street appears to be under city maintenance.  the sign is so old that it appears the state has forgotten about it.  it likely will not be replaced as part of a state-highway renumbering, but rather when the City of Milwaukee next decides to make improvements to the street.

there are some straggler US-16 shields on county roads in Wisconsin which fall into the same category: forgotten by the state, ignored by the city or county.

Off-topic, but those stray US-16 shields are getting harder and harder to find.  Dodge County has replaced all of the US-16 shields with WI-16s over the past couple of years.

FightingIrish

Quote from: SSOWorld on July 22, 2013, 02:32:11 PM

Never thought I'd see a roadgeek bitching about the spending of tax dollars on roads. I think you just negated this whole board!

Avalanchez71

I always complain on tax dollars being spent.  I like roads; however, I like to know how my money is being spent.  I am more into legacy highways and maintaining current situations. 

GeekJedi

From the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinal:

"A plan to upgrade state Highway 41 into an interstate is moving forward ahead of schedule and could be complete by the fall of 2014."

http://www.jsonline.com/news/traffic/highway-41s-upgrade-to-interstate-is-ahead-of-schedule-b9962583z1-217438721.html

What's of note is a blurb at the end mentioning that plans call for extending WI-175 down to the Stadium interchange.
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

Big John

Quote from: GeekJedi on July 29, 2013, 09:18:39 PM
From the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinal:

"A plan to upgrade state Highway 41 into an interstate is moving forward ahead of schedule and could be complete by the fall of 2014."

:pan:

SEWIGuy

Quote from: GeekJedi on July 29, 2013, 09:18:39 PM
What's of note is a blurb at the end mentioning that plans call for extending WI-175 down to the Stadium interchange.

Then you might as well extend it to National Avenue and supplant WI-341 along the way.

Henry

Although it is nice to see US 41 become I-41, I think it's a little too much to have it share pavement with I-94 towards Chicago.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

SEWIGuy

Quote from: Henry on July 30, 2013, 10:31:13 AM
Although it is nice to see US 41 become I-41, I think it's a little too much to have it share pavement with I-94 towards Chicago.

The only reason they are doing this is because US-41 does so now.  This will "connect" I-41 to US-41.

ET21

Quote from: SEWIGuy on July 30, 2013, 12:02:14 PM

The only reason they are doing this is because US-41 does so now.  This will "connect" I-41 to US-41.

So it is becoming an actual Interstate 41. I was wondering if it would stay US 41 with interstate standard freeway design or get an interstate shield designation
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Brandon

Quote from: ET21 on July 30, 2013, 02:16:28 PM

So it is becoming an actual Interstate 41. I was wondering if it would stay US 41 with interstate standard freeway design or get an interstate shield designation

Yep, it's getting the fancy red-white-blue shied that will put it in the same class of routes such as I-180, Wyoming and I-70, Breezewood, Pennsylvania.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

SEWIGuy

Quote from: ET21 on July 30, 2013, 02:16:28 PM

Oh it will get the I-41 shield designation.  It looks as though US-41 will disappear between the IL line and Green Bay.

triplemultiplex

Counting down to thread merger... 5... 4... 3...

Extending WI 175 makes the most sense for the surface street alignment of US 41.  So many of us have been arguing for this as long as we've been roadgeeks.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

english si

Quote from: SEWIGuy on July 30, 2013, 02:46:03 PMOh it will get the I-41 shield designation.  It looks as though US-41 will disappear between the IL line and Green Bay.
Just south of the IL line - the other 2dis in IL were lonely and demanded another friend ;)

Brandon

Quote from: english si on July 30, 2013, 04:12:54 PM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on July 30, 2013, 02:46:03 PMOh it will get the I-41 shield designation.  It looks as though US-41 will disappear between the IL line and Green Bay.
Just south of the IL line - the other 2dis in IL were lonely and demanded another friend ;)

You folks do realize that Illinois will maintain the highest number of 2dis of any state at 13 with the addition of I-41 for a mile or so.

That means Illinois will have the following mainline interstate routes: 24, 39, 41, 55, 57, 64, 70, 72, 74, 80, 88, 90, and 94.  That's one more than Texas will have when all is said and done: 2, 10, 20, 27, 30, 35, 37, 40, 44, 45, 49, and 69.  I don't think any other states have more 2dis than these two.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

english si

Quote from: Brandon on July 30, 2013, 04:43:40 PMYou folks do realize that Illinois will maintain the highest number of 2dis of any state at 13 with the addition of I-41 for a mile or so.
I did, hence the weird phrasing and ;)

making sure that TX can't catch up so easily, they want I-66 too, but that's another thread...

In many ways it is surprising that they don't sign I-69 in the state, getting them to 14 before I-66 is built (again, another thread).

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Revive 755

Quote from: english si on July 30, 2013, 05:14:10 PM
Quote from: Brandon on July 30, 2013, 04:43:40 PMYou folks do realize that Illinois will maintain the highest number of 2dis of any state at 13 with the addition of I-41 for a mile or so.

making sure that TX can't catch up so easily, they want I-66 too, but that's another thread...

In many ways it is surprising that they don't sign I-69 in the state, getting them to 14 before I-66 is built (again, another thread).

More surprising they didn't try and get I-44 extended across the Mississippi somehow.  Or they gave up so easily on getting a 2di for the I-155 corridor (see the entries for I-155 and I-180 on Kurumi's site, http://www.kurumi.com/roads/3di/ix55.html#155il and http://www.kurumi.com/roads/3di/i180.html#180il)

Brandon

Quote from: Revive 755 on July 31, 2013, 08:52:38 PM
Quote from: english si on July 30, 2013, 05:14:10 PM

More surprising they didn't try and get I-44 extended across the Mississippi somehow.  Or they gave up so easily on getting a 2di for the I-155 corridor (see the entries for I-155 and I-180 on Kurumi's site, http://www.kurumi.com/roads/3di/ix55.html#155il and http://www.kurumi.com/roads/3di/i180.html#180il)

IDOT apparently got slapped down rather hard by AASHTO and FHWA on their proposal for I-37 for what became I-155.

FightingIrish

Saw something tonight on the way home that will likely cause roadgeekgasms.

Yes, the very first I-41 signage went up today! No joke!

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to stop and snap a pic, but hopefully the WISDOT crews working on the road don't decide to cover it overnight. If able, I'll snap a pic on my phone tomorrow and post for all to see.  :biggrin:

Molandfreak

Quote from: FightingIrish on July 31, 2013, 10:36:41 PM

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to stop and snap a pic, but hopefully the WISDOT crews working on the road don't decide to cover it overnight. If able, I'll snap a pic on my phone tomorrow and post for all to see.  :biggrin:
Very cool! :cool:
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

mgk920

Quote from: FightingIrish on July 31, 2013, 10:36:41 PM

Got a location on that one?

I know that for the last couple of years, including RIGHT NOW, there has been a temporary sign with a blank interstate shield next to a US 41 shield on the US(I)-41 east frontage road (Poberenzy Rd) facing the main campground entrance at the EAA grounds in Oshkosh.  That sign has only been up during EAA's 'Airventure' week, which this year runs through Sunday (2013-08-04).

:nod:

Mike

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.