News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

US-41 Interstate Conversion

Started by ssummers72, February 10, 2009, 09:43:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

Quote from: SEWIGuy on September 12, 2013, 04:05:39 PM
The Illinois Highways page say that the section of I-39 between US-20 and what is now I-88 opened in 1984.  Was it not I-39 at the time?

No.  It opened as US-51 and was assigned I-39 later.  Ditto with I-88 being formerly IL-5 until the same year for the same reason.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

SEWIGuy

Quote from: Brandon on September 12, 2013, 05:08:32 PM
The Illinois Highways page say that the section of I-39 between US-20 and what is now I-88 opened in 1984.  Was it not I-39 at the time?

No.  It opened as US-51 and was assigned I-39 later.  Ditto with I-88 being formerly IL-5 until the same year for the same reason.

OK, thanks for the clarification.

NE2

Yet it makes more sense to have I-39 on US 51 in both states. So IDOT did the right thing.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

FightingIrish

For those that are interested, the WisDOT I-41 site has been updated with presentation materials from the recent public meetings:

http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/projects/neregion/41/public.htm

Of some note is how U.S. 41 will be signed along the route.

mrose

Quote from: Brandon on September 12, 2013, 05:08:32 PM

Yes, IIRC, I-39 was applied some time around 1986 or '87 when the segment to I-80 was completed.

mgk920

While driving around and exploring the area on Saturday (2013-09-21), it almost looked to me like WisDOT is aiming at opening the high-speed ramps at the WI 29 Shawano Interchange in the Green Bay area (Howard, to be specific) before the end of the year.  Their decks are being poured right now.

Does anyone have any more info on the current construction schedule there?

:hmmm:

Mike

DaBigE

Quote from: mgk920 on September 23, 2013, 10:41:35 AM
Does anyone have any more info on the current construction schedule there?

:hmmm:

Mike

I don't have time to parse through it at the moment, but I did see a few schedule links for the 41 project here: http://roadwaystandards.dot.wi.gov/hcci/projects/index.shtm
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

triplemultiplex

In light of current events, having the NB->WB and EB->SB ramps open ASAP would be very useful.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Milwaukee, WY

Any news? Or a date we can expect news? Or is this just waiting on congressional approval?

mgk920

Still waiting on the Congresscritters.

Mike

davenh

I found a couple more exposed I-41 shields in Milwaukeeland. These are both on Bluemound Rd/US-18 heading west, where it crosses over US-45.

I have also seen signs on North Ave in Wauwatosa, just west of Mayfair Rd/Hwy 100. Most of them are turned around backwards so you just see the back, but one that was exposed was a "North I-41 Use Right Lane / North US-45 Use Right Lane" sign. Unfortunately I wasn't quick or smart enough to get a picture of that.

triplemultiplex

I like that I-41 is the product of folks up in the Fox Valley, but the first signs are appearing down in Milwaukee (thanks to the Zoo Interchange project.)  It's the roadgeek equivalent of "First!"

Seems like someone should be keeping their eyes open for I-41 shields popping up amidst the freeway expansion project in Green Bay.  Especially on whatever new BGS's go up at the WI 29 interchange.

hobsini2

Quote from: triplemultiplex on January 05, 2014, 08:43:42 PM
I like that I-41 is the product of folks up in the Fox Valley, but the first signs are appearing down in Milwaukee (thanks to the Zoo Interchange project.)  It's the roadgeek equivalent of "First!"

Seems like someone should be keeping their eyes open for I-41 shields popping up amidst the freeway expansion project in Green Bay.  Especially on whatever new BGS's go up at the WI 29 interchange.

That sounds like a job for MGK since he's in Appleton. lol
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

mgk920

Quote from: hobsini2 on January 07, 2014, 10:34:36 AM
Quote from: triplemultiplex on January 05, 2014, 08:43:42 PM

That sounds like a job for MGK since he's in Appleton. lol

Nothing so far that I've seen (WisDOT's Green Bay office is pretty up on keeping this under wraps), but I likely will be heading up to Green Bay area on Thursday to check out the reopened I-43 bridge.  I'll look around a bit.

Mike

mgk920

I took a quick drive around in the Green Bay area today, no signs of I-41 to be found.

I did note that WisDOT is wasting zero time in getting at the rebuild of the US(I)-41/I-43/US 141 (Howard) interchange - nearly all of the piers for its flyover ramp bridging are already in various stages of construction, and those ramps will be loooong!  When done, it will be as or even more impressive than the US(I)-41/WI 29 Shawano interchange already is.

Mike

NE2

So much for that one guy's claim that I-43 could never be extended north from Green Bay because the ramps are too sharp and will never be replaced or something.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

triplemultiplex

Quote from: NE2 on January 09, 2014, 09:26:36 PM
So much for that one guy's claim that I-43 could never be extended north from Green Bay because the ramps are too sharp and will never be replaced or something.

The junction is in the middle of a huge wetland, however the new design allows for more wetland to be restored than will be taken.  That's probably what he was talking about.

OCGuy81

QuoteFrom the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinal:

"A plan to upgrade state Highway 41 into an interstate is moving forward ahead of schedule and could be complete by the fall of 2014."

http://www.jsonline.com/news/traffic/highway-41s-upgrade-to-interstate-is-ahead-of-schedule-b9962583z1-217438721.html

What's of note is a blurb at the end mentioning that plans call for extending WI-175 down to the Stadium interchange.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when this is completed, Wisconsin would be the only state that has 2 interstate triple concurrencies?  There's I-39/90/94 and now they'll have I-41/43/894?

Of course, this probably warrants a discussion of whether or not I-894 is worth keeping as a designation at all, something I've wondered since 43 was extended to Beloit a few decades ago.

vtk

Quote from: OCGuy81 on February 08, 2014, 11:55:55 PM
Of course, this probably warrants a discussion of whether or not I-894 is worth keeping as a designation at all, something I've wondered since 43 was extended to Beloit a few decades ago.

We've had that discussion. We've had it in this very thread, as I recall.  The guys local to that area seem to favor keeping 894.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

SSOWorld

894 is purely symbolic as is (I-)41.  The former is to mark a bypass around Milwaukee's downtown for those incoming from north and west.  I-41 is a marketing ploy by the state to "get the Fox Cities on the map". I personally don't believe that designation should go any further than the Zoo interchange.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Jim920

Quote from: SSOWorld on February 09, 2014, 11:50:40 AM
894 is purely symbolic as is (I-)41.  The former is to mark a bypass around Milwaukee's downtown for those incoming from north and west.  I-41 is a marketing ploy by the state to "get the Fox Cities on the map". I personally don't believe that designation should go any further than the Zoo interchange.

I'm, surprised IDOT even went along with the starting point for I-41.  If you're on I-94 all of a sudden I-41 will just appear in an unusual spot.  I wonder if IDOT will even bother signing it, which will make if even more weird if they don't, I-41 will just begin and end at the state line.  I agree I-41 shouldn't go any further then the Zoo Interchange, maybe to the Hale but i just seems stupid to go any further then that.  Personally I think it should have been an even spur of I-43, or since Texas was able to get I-69C/W/E why not just make it I-43W and the current I-43 becomes I-43E.

english si

If you are going to have US41(I-), to use British nonclamature, then surely I-41 should supercede US41 for all the section that is part of the Interstate system.

From that last exit in IL, to the Zoo Interchange, you are going to have I-41 or US41 - why not I-41?

SEWIGuy

Yeah, I think the proposed number and southern endpoints make perfect sense.  And really IDOT won't have to invest heavily in signage.  US-41 heads off less than a mile and a half south of the WI line.  You are talking about a BGS or two and a reassurance marker.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: OCGuy81 on February 08, 2014, 11:55:55 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but when this is completed, Wisconsin would be the only state that has 2 interstate triple concurrencies?  There's I-39/90/94 and now they'll have I-41/43/894?

Once the new bridge opens in St. Louis, Wisconsin will be the ONLY state with ANY triple concurrencies.  For a time at least.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: SEWIGuy on February 10, 2014, 11:44:35 AM
Yeah, I think the proposed number and southern endpoints make perfect sense.  And really IDOT won't have to invest heavily in signage.  US-41 heads off less than a mile and a half south of the WI line.  You are talking about a BGS or two and a reassurance marker.

I think that the tollway does maintenance on that small free part of I-94 / US 41

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.