News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Towns that are not pronounced as they’re written

Started by roadman65, May 27, 2022, 10:15:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kirbykart

Staying in New York, I don't think anyone mentioned Poughkeepsie yet. I'm not sure how to write down the pronunciation, maybe someone can help me out.

webny99

Quote from: kirbykart on July 22, 2022, 07:44:57 AM
Staying in New York, I don't think anyone mentioned Poughkeepsie yet. I'm not sure how to write down the pronunciation, maybe someone can help me out.

I'd say Poughkeepsie is pronounced as it's written..

"Pough-" rhymes with dough, and "-keepsie" is pretty accurate too (it maybe sounds a bit more like "-kipsy", but it's close).

Rothman

Quote from: webny99 on July 22, 2022, 08:42:13 AM

"Pough-" rhymes with dough, and "-keepsie" is pretty accurate too (it maybe sounds a bit more like "-kipsy", but it's close).

Pfft.  Nah.  Kipsy =/= keepsie.

Pough is more of a quick "puh."

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

webny99

Quote from: Rothman on July 22, 2022, 11:46:51 AM

One of my school teachers had family there and she pronounced "keepsie" with a distinct e sound if you listened closely, but it would be easy to hear "kipsy" if she was talking fast or if you heard it in passing.

jdbx

Lots of interesting examples here.  I have lived in Northern California my entire life, so the way people pronounce certain place names kind of serves as a shibboleth to see who the visitors and newcomers are.  People already mentioned San Rafael (always San Raf-ell), Vallejo (Vel-AY-oh), one that I caught a few coworkers on was Alameda (Al-uh-mee-duh).  Lafayette (Law-fayette) I have heard people mispronounce it like "Laff-ayette".  Manteca (Man-teek-uh) is also one that gets mangled.

A favorite though, is the debate over how to pronounce San Francisco's Gough Street.  Not even multi-generation natives can all agree on that.  I'm 3rd gen, and my family always pronounced it "Goff".

Takumi

Quote from: jdbx on July 22, 2022, 05:45:59 PM
A favorite though, is the debate over how to pronounce San Francisco's Gough Street.  Not even multi-generation natives can all agree on that.  I'm 3rd gen, and my family always pronounced it "Goff".
While my first guess would have been "go" .
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

kirbykart

That's how I've always known it too, Rothman. :biggrin:

Rothman

Quote from: webny99 on July 22, 2022, 03:13:41 PM

One of my school teachers had family there and she pronounced "keepsie" with a distinct e sound if you listened closely, but it would be easy to hear "kipsy" if she was talking fast or if you heard it in passing.
Unless you've picked your feet in Poughkeepsie, it doesn't matter.

I've spent quite a bit of time around NYSDOT Region 8 people...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kirbykart

Lots of interesting examples here.  I have lived in Northern California my entire life, so the way people pronounce certain place names kind of serves as a shibboleth to see who the visitors and newcomers are.  People already mentioned San Rafael (always San Raf-ell), Vallejo (Vel-AY-oh), one that I caught a few coworkers on was Alameda (Al-uh-mee-duh).  Lafayette (Law-fayette) I have heard people mispronounce it like "Laff-ayette".  Manteca (Man-teek-uh) is also one that gets mangled.

Interesting examples, I wouldn't have gotten any of those right had you not provided proper pronunciations!

vdeane

one that I caught a few coworkers on was Alameda (Al-uh-mee-duh).
Pronunciation is very important when looking for the nuclear wessels (1:14).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf8rDpu1vCk
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Road Hog

Texas and California share a common trait in which placenames with Spanish origins are often anglicized while keeping some Spanish elements. In Texas the farther inland you go, the more anglicized. Examples: Rio Vista (pronounced "RYE-o Vista" as in rye) and DeLeon (pronounced "DEE Leon" with emphasis on the first syllable). And don't get me started on Refugio.

lepidopteran

Two others beginning with K

• Kearny, NJ -- I thought this was pronounced KEER-nee, but it's actually KAR-nee
  • Kerens, WV -- most of us know of this place as a locale on Corridor H.  You would think it's pronounced KAIR-ens, like the girl's name, but someone reporting on the highway's progress recently said it was KERNs.

Road Hog

Quote from: lepidopteran on July 23, 2022, 11:49:42 PM

• Kearny, NJ -- I thought this was pronounced KEER-nee, but it's actually KAR-nee
  • Kerens, WV -- most of us know of this place as a locale on Corridor H.  You would think it's pronounced KAIR-ens, like the girl's name, but someone reporting on the highway's progress recently said it was KERNs.
Kerens, TX is pronounced the same exact way.

jdbx

I used to work on Kearny Street in San Francisco, and out here we say it "KERR-nee"

Rothman

Quote from: jdbx on July 28, 2022, 02:11:32 PM

I used to work on Kearny Street in San Francisco, and out here we say it "KERR-nee"
Yep.  I lived in SF and said it the same way.

bwana39

Quote from: Road Hog on July 22, 2022, 10:18:48 PM
Texas and California share a common trait in which placenames with Spanish origins are often anglicized while keeping some Spanish elements. In Texas the farther inland you go, the more anglicized. Examples: Rio Vista (pronounced "RYE-o Vista" as in rye) and DeLeon (pronounced "DEE Leon" with emphasis on the first syllable). And don't get me started on Refugio.

But is is Dee Lee own not Dee Leon (Lee ahn.)

Ree Fur EO
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

sandwalk

How Ohio honors the Old World....usually with a different vowel pronunciation and/or an emphasis on a different syllable.

Berlin > "BUR-lin"
East Palestine > "PAL-uh-steen"
Genoa > "jeh-NO-uh"
Leipsic > "LIP-sick"
Mantua > "MAN-a-way"
Milan > "MY-lin"
Medina > "meh-DY-nuh"
New Bremen > "BREE-min"
Russia > "ROO-shee"
Toledo > "tuh-LEE-doh"
Versailles > "ver-SALES"
Vienna > "vy-EH-nuh"

Other Ohio places names that are a bit off:

Chauncey > "CHANCE-ee" (interesting history behind this)
Gnadenhutten > "juh-NAY-den-HUT-en" (first syllable similar to Zsa Zsa Gabor)
Lima >"LY-muh" (like the bean, not its namesake in Peru)

webny99

Quote from: sandwalk on August 03, 2022, 03:44:25 PM
Lima >"LY-muh" (like the bean, not its namesake in Peru)

That's how Lima, NY is pronounced as well. Meanwhile I had a teacher with that surname and that was pronounced "lee-muh", like Lima, Peru.

jp the roadgeek

Heading east from po-KIPSY to CT:

Thames: As it's spelled, not tems
Groton: GRAH-tin (as in potatoes au)
Greenwich: GREN-itch
Canton: Cantin
Southington: SUTH-ing-ton
Ansonia: an-SO-nee-yuh
Norfolk: Nor-fork
Barkhamsted: bark-HAM-stead
Higganum: HIG-uh-num
Wolcott: WOOL-kit
Hebron: HEE-brin
Coventry: CAH-ven-tree
Berlin: BUR-lin
Oneco: oh-KNEE-co
Haddam: HAD-um

A few I've learned in my travels (apologies for duplicates)

Brooklyn, MD: Brook-line
Lampeter, PA: lam-PETER
Schuykill: SKOO-kul
Carmel, NY: CAR-mul
Mahopac, NY: MAY-uh-pack
Katonah:kah-TONE-uh

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Scott5114

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on August 03, 2022, 11:52:42 PM
Canton: Cantin

That would be considered pronounced as it's written in Oklahoma. The U.S. capital is pronounced "Washingtin", or "Washin't'n" if you've got a thicker accent. Canton, OK would be "Cantin" too, of course. I don't think I've ever heard anyone pronounce a -ton town the same way they'd say the word ton.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

roadman65

Not a town but a county. How do you pronounce Houston, AL?  Is it like the city, or like the street in New York?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

CtrlAltDel

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

kirbykart

webny99

Quote from: kirbykart on August 04, 2022, 08:37:48 AM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on August 03, 2022, 11:52:42 PM
Carmel, NY: CAR-mul
Katonah: kah-TONE-uh
Uhh... how else would you pronounce those ones?

Presumably car-MEL* and kah-TUN-ah, both of which seem odd to me, but I guess that's why they're pronounced the way they are...

*I think Carmel, IN may be pronounced this way, but not 100% sure (?)

hotdogPi

Carmel, IN is pronounced the two-syllable pronunciation of "caramel", which is used there for the food, too.

For those who only pronounce "caramel" with three syllables, what I'm referring to matches the location in NY above.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.