News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Nearest Freeway Segment You've Never Driven

Started by webny99, July 16, 2018, 03:06:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

intelati49

It's bugging me to death, but at this point it's the new (<2 mile) AR612 north of Fayetteville, AR.

I pass it 5 days out of the week, but I have never needed to head west there.

(It's basically a bypass to XNA Airport that is a few miles off the road.)

webny99

Quote from: 7/8 on March 31, 2019, 02:24:29 PM
An example similar to the OP would be the 403 between Woodstock (the 401) and Hamilton (RR 52). I've only driven that segment once or twice and it was for going between job sites.

Quite the opposite for me -- been on that stretch countless times (including yesterday!) but I have never been on the other side of the triangle - 401 between Woodstock and Cambridge.

Beltway

Quote from: skluth on March 31, 2019, 07:56:02 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on January 11, 2019, 05:17:51 PM
Quote from: Beltway on January 10, 2019, 10:29:40 PM
It is a shame that some people here can't do what I did, and look across Hampton Roads, and wonder how they will ever build 8 Interstate lanes and 4 arterial lanes across 4 miles of deep water (as in deep enough and wide enough to accommodate a Nimitz-class aircraft carrier or a fleet of them for that matter).
I wasn't around to see any of it built sadly. Now the question is how will they ever build 8 more interstate lanes across 4 miles of deep water.
There is nowhere in Hampton Roads area except the CBBT where four miles of deep water is crossed. (The CBBT is mostly in waters 40'-50' deep.) Most of the water within the Hampton Roads basin is under 30 feet deep. It's only in the dredged deep-water channels where depth exceeds 30 feet. The widest deep water is the turnaround deep basin alongside the navy base which is a mile across. The approaches to the MMMBT and HRBT are in waters less than 30 feet deep. Building new crossings of Hampton Roads would be fairly simple if the USN didn't prohibit bridges across the channel between the shipyards and the ocean.

There is nothing simple about building a crossing 3.5 miles long or 4.6 miles long across a harbor that could moor 12 Nimitz-class aircraft carriers at once. 

There is a massive area of deep water there --
http://www.roadstothefuture.com/HRBT_Nautical_Chart_L.jpg

I misworded some with the implication that it is 40+ feet deep all the way across, but my point remains.

The 1862 battle of the ironclads took place near Sewells Point, where the I-664 North Island is today, and that required water at least 22 feet deep.

A high-level bridge would be no piece of cake.  Given the shipping requirements, the main span would need to be at least 2,000 feet wide and 180 feet high, and some of the high-level approaches would extend partway over land.  The Navy and other maritime interests may request at least 3,000 feet wide.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

sprjus4

Quote from: Beltway on April 01, 2019, 06:48:19 PM
The 1862 battle of the ironclads took place near Sewells Point, where the I-664 North Island is today, and that required water at least 22 feet deep.
FTFY

X99

All of them.

I can't get my license until the end of April.
why are there only like 5 people on this forum from south dakota

7/8

Quote from: 7/8 on March 31, 2019, 02:24:29 PM
There's several short sections of freeway I'm missing in Toronto

• The 400 south of the 401
  • Allen Road (EDIT: I'm still missing the part north of the 401)
  • The Gardiner east of Jarvis St
  • The DVP south of Danforth Ave

I knocked a good portion of the above off my list last weekend. But I just noticed today that I'm missing a short segment of the 427 south of the Gardiner (and I was right there! :/)

After Toronto, the closest segments are in Buffalo/Niagara Falls, NY:

• LaSalle Expressway
  • I-990
  • NY 33 south of NY 198

webny99

Quote from: 7/8 on April 13, 2019, 03:54:14 PM
But I just noticed today that I'm missing a short segment of the 427 south of the Gardiner (and I was right there! :/)

I am wondering if that's possible, considering the southern terminus of 427 is actually at the Gardiner.

vdeane

Quote from: webny99 on April 13, 2019, 09:51:58 PM
I am wondering if that's possible, considering the southern terminus of 427 is actually at the Gardiner.
Maybe not
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

7/8

Quote from: vdeane on April 13, 2019, 11:21:46 PM
Maybe not

Interestingly, the MTO suggests it goes all the way down to Coules Ct. But it seems weird that the MTO would maintain the road south of this intersection :hmmm:

EpicRoadways

While not a segment that I've never driven on per se, the 2 mile section of I-94 in both directions just west of St. Cloud between the CSAH 75 interchange (exit 158) and the CSAH 2 interchange (exit 160) is a section of freeway that I've only ever been on two or three times despite having lived nearby for 15+ years. When I had to go eastbound, I'd use exit 160; when I had to go westbound, I'd use CSAH 75 via exit 158. Even now, I still bypass that section when headed westbound because of how accessible the CSAH 75 interchange is heading out of St. Cloud.

For reference, here's the section of freeway that I'm talking about. You can tell that the partial interchange for CSAH 75 is designed mainly to handle the inbound/outbound traffic for St. Cloud while the CSAH 2 interchange is designed mainly for local traffic. https://www.google.com/maps/dir/45.5582647,-94.3398356/45.5859642,-94.3621238/@45.5792002,-94.371759,5593m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!4m1!3e0

But if you want me to stay completely true to the topic, the nearest freeway section that I've never been on would be I-90 between Rochester, MN and Tomah, WI.

Gnutella

The toll segment of I-185 in South Carolina, about 100 miles away from me.

wriddle082

Most likely something in Eastern NC.  I don't think I've ever driven any of the freeway segments that are slated to one day become I-42, or been to Goldsboro or New Bern.

webny99

Quote from: 7/8 on April 14, 2019, 11:50:51 AM
Quote from: vdeane on April 13, 2019, 11:21:46 PM
Maybe not
Interestingly, the MTO suggests it goes all the way down to Coules Ct. But it seems weird that the MTO would maintain the road south of this intersection :hmmm:

Hmm. I don't keep track of my exact travels through travel mapping or anything like that, but I would consider myself to have clinched ON 427 without having been on that short segment, and for a few reasons:

(1) That segment is visible from the southbound to westbound flyover.
(2) ON 427 is not signed as continuing past the Gardiner (the sign on the right would need to have an ON 427 shield, and it doesn't).
(3) Google Maps identifies the connectors as ramps, not part of a mainline route.

Skye

Depends on what's closer to Cincinnati, I-75 North of Sydney, OH, US 35 between Chillicothe and Washington CH, or I-65 between Louisville and Indy.

D-Dey65

This is tough. If you include roads that we've been on before any of us were old enough to drive, I don't think there's a single expressway, parkway or toll road in Long Island, New York City, or the Lower Hudson Valley that I haven't been on. If you were to add other parts of the New York Tri-State Area, there might've been some in New Jersey that I haven't been near. If we were to stick to New York State, probably Arden Valley Road (Parkway). And I was looking towards something much further upstate like I-787 or NY 85.

As for the Tampa Bay region, just the I-4/Lee Roy Selmon Connector. I was going to say that the nearest ones are in the Orlando Metro Area (FL Toll Road 417, the former FL Toll Road 4080, FL 551, a.k.a.;  "Goldenrod Road," and Osceola Parkway), but I just realized I was wrong.

FYI, I have to add this to my post:
https://www.allmusic.com/album/2112-mw0000191702

TheStranger

It hit me that if one counts Route 77 in Oakland as a short freeway, that was actually the nearest freeway segment I had never driven - until earlier this year.

(To be fair, with the free-flowing ramps from 880 to 77 replaced with a diamond in the 90s, this may be entirely debatable)
Chris Sampang

bing101

I-238 I never driven there
And CA-13 I never driven there and it's near my home.

dgolub

The Jackie Robinson Parkway, formerly known as the Interboro Parkway.  After that is probably the southernmost piece of the Van Wyck Expressway (I-678) leading to Kennedy Airport.

D-Dey65

You know, I just remembered that I still haven't been on the Long Mountain Parkway either, but Arden Valley Road is still the closer parkway I haven't been on when I lived on Long Island.

lepidopteran

Two maybes, and one almost certain.

Maybe: The spur off the I-895 spur (honest!) that connects to MD-2 in the Glen Burnie area.  You could argue that it's just a glorified on-ramp, but it does have 1 or 2 movements with the Baltimore Beltway (I-695).

Maybe: In the same vicinity, the MD-10 freeway between MD-100 and I-695.  More likely to have never been north of MD-648, or perhaps Furnace Branch Rd.

More certain: the MD-702 freeway off the I-695 beltway in the Essex area.  Come to thing of it, haven't been on the arc of I-695 east of I-97 and US-40 for quite a while.  It might have still been a "super-2" the last time I took it across the Key Bridge, or the concrete might have just hardened.

For the nearest freeway of any significant length, that would be, hands down, the new US-301 toll road in Delaware.

tolbs17

In Greenville NC, US 17 New Bern bypass.

X99

Quote from: X99 on April 01, 2019, 10:06:15 PM
All of them.

I can't get my license until the end of April.
Yes, I know I'm quoting myself. Still don't have my license, but the nearest freeway I haven't driven (with passenger, required on a learner's permit) is I-90 east of New Underwood, SD.
why are there only like 5 people on this forum from south dakota

webny99

Quote from: webny99 on July 19, 2018, 08:26:59 AM
Quote from: Buffaboy on July 19, 2018, 07:54:22 AM
I would say the same with I-86. I would doubt many people in the Buffalo area have a reason to use it.
Very true. And since you say that, this section of I-86 just popped into my mind. I've never driven it and quite possibly never will: If we're headed southeast we take I-390, and if we're headed southwest we take NY 36. People from Rochester have zero use for that section in the middle.

Coming back to this very old quote for good reason: Just got back from a mini-road trip in which I FINALLY clinched that missing section of I-86/NY 17!  :nod:

That completes a clinch of all of I-86 in NY and all NY interstate mileage west of I-81.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on July 17, 2018, 01:39:55 PM
There is a very small section of I-355 between the NB355->EB88 and the WB88->NB355 ramps that I haven't covered yet.  46 miles from home.

I've since pushed this out quite a bit. It's now I-72 west of I-55, 198 miles away.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

ran4sh

The section of I-575 north of Canton. And I don't expect to get there anytime soon
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.