News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Local Drive-ins

Started by Grzrd, September 22, 2010, 11:18:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grzrd

Atlanta recently lost a drive-in, the Varsity, Jr.: http://www.thevarsity.com/varsityjr.php

The Downtown Varsity location claims to be the largest drive-in in the world and continues to thrive.

Sonic appears to be a chain that is keeping the concept alive, but with drive-through windows omnipresent at the fast-food chains that allow people to eat "on the move", I just wonder how many "local" drive-ins are left?

Any recommendations out there?

rawmustard

Quote from: Grzrd on September 22, 2010, 11:18:02 AM
Atlanta recently lost a drive-in, the Varsity, Jr.: http://www.thevarsity.com/varsityjr.php

The Downtown Varsity location claims to be the largest drive-in in the world and continues to thrive.

Sonic appears to be a chain that is keeping the concept alive, but with drive-through windows omnipresent at the fast-food chains that allow people to eat "on the move", I just wonder how many "local" drive-ins are left?

Kalamazoo still has the Root Beer Stand (originally an A&W franchise many years ago), although the only food they serve are the typical hot dogs and hot ham and cheese. It wasn't something we'd regularly do during my childhood, but on occasion we'd stop and get their root beer. Since they are only open during warmer months, I don't think I've hit them up since becoming an adult. Coldwater has Allen's Root Beer Drive-In, a former B&K location. Of course, like the Root Beer Stand, open seasonally albeit a bit longer season for Allen's. If Battle Creek has a decent drive-in left, I've yet to find it.

US71

Fort Smith has Ed Walker's (the ONLY place in town you can have a beer in your car)

Also Phoenix Ave Drive-In (a former Sonic)

Rogers, AR has Susie Q, though it's more of an ice cream shop
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

bugo

Quote from: US71 on September 22, 2010, 12:46:52 PM
Also Phoenix Ave Drive-In (a former Sonic)

Mena, AR has Cruizzer's, a former Sonic.  The same family owns Myers' Drive In (another former Sonic) in Poteau, OK, and they have another drive in in southern AR, I think it's in Nashville.  The service at Cruizzer's is far superior to the service at the local Sonic that opened after the Myers family severed their ties with Sonic.  The slushes are better too.  Cruizzer's is always busy, while Sonic gets far less business.

US71

Quote from: bugo on September 22, 2010, 04:41:39 PM

Mena, AR has Cruizzer's, a former Sonic.  The same family owns Myers' Drive In (another former Sonic) in Poteau, OK, and they have another drive in in southern AR, I think it's in Nashville.  The service at Cruizzer's is far superior to the service at the local Sonic that opened after the Myers family severed their ties with Sonic.  The slushes are better too.  Cruizzer's is always busy, while Sonic gets far less business.

Every time I pass Cruizzer's they look busy.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

mobilene

I know of a couple here in Indiana.  The Char-Bett is in Logansport, on SR 25 (the old Michigan Road).  It's seasonal and will close for the year here in the next few days, IIRC.  Great cheeseburgers and chocolate malts.

Char-Bett, Logansport by mobilene, on Flickr

I came across another in Washington, IN, on old US 50 where it meets SR 257.  It may not look like a classic drive in, but someone does come out to your car to take your order.  They brew their own root beer on the premises.

Mason's Root Beer by mobilene, on Flickr

Mason's Root Beer by mobilene, on Flickr

jim
jim grey | Indianapolis, Indiana

corco

Hawkins Pac-Out is a must-hit in Boise. It's a bit off the beaten path if you're on the highway, but well worth it. Westside Drive-In gets more credit for being awesome in Boise (they have the ice cream potato which is unique and better ambiance, so they're more popular), and it's worthwhile, but the Pac-Out is the best.

Scotty's Drive-In in Idaho Falls is probably my second-favorite anywhere, second only to Billy Burger Drive-In in Wilbur, Washington (weirdly).

Also a fan of Dick's in Seattle- it's really cheap and pretty tasty- I don't think you can get a better burger for under $2.

I managed to drive every mile of state highway in Wyoming, and I can't think of a single notable drive-in in the entire state. Laramie doesn't even have single non-national chain  (not even a regional chain) place to get a quick burger That is disappointing.

Bryant5493

I know this is about drive-in restaurants, but here's a drive-in movie theater.

Starlight Drive-In
2000 Moreland Avenue SE
Atlanta, Georgia 30316-3250

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

golden eagle

Quote from: Grzrd on September 22, 2010, 11:18:02 AM

At first, I thought you meant the original Varsity was closed. To tell you the truth, I think they're overrated. Every time ESPN broadcasts a Georgia Tech game in Atlanta, they always mention them and how good they are. I've had it but don't find it all that great.

Bryant5493

^^

Further, the way the news was broadcasting the Varsity Jr.'s closing was like it was the end of the Varsity, period. I'm, like, there's still the original on North Avenue. Also, there's one near Town Center Mall in Kennesaw; one in Gwinnett, on Jimmy Carter; and another in Athens. The Varsity Jr.'ll be moving up to Dawsonville, near the North Georgia Premium Outlets.

I love the Varsity, especially their shakes. But cholesterol is an issue eating there a lot. :-D

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

Hot Rod Hootenanny

The Varsity is alive and well in Baton Rouge. Though they book too many coverbands and DJs to my liking, but it pays their bills.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

PAHighways

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.