News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Corridor H

Started by CanesFan27, September 20, 2009, 03:01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mapmikey

Going via Elkins is way less twisty than US 50...

US 219 can be driven at 45-55 nearly everywhere outside of towns while US 50 has switchbacks.

Even though it is 24 miles shorter via US 50, it is only 8 minutes faster.  And this assumes you don't get stuck behind a coal truck, which happens to me almost every time I go riding around WV...

Mapmikey

hbelkins

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 09, 2013, 03:50:43 PM
Maybe I wasn't clear. I know what the route is. I was asking which route you guys think is the better way west to Ohio from "eastern" Corridor H: "western" Corridor H (and the connecting roads required to get there) or north to US-50?

Corridor H to I-79 to Corridor D. The two-lane section of US 219 between Thomas and Montrose is not that long, really, and not too terribly bad of a road. I've driven US 50 from Clarksburg east to the Romney area once, and wouldn't recommend it.  My memory is that it's a slow route with few passing zones, more trucks than you might expect and some not-so-fun mountains. I think the longer mileage involved in using H would be more than made up because the speed limit on H is 65 (drive 70-75) and the speed limit on I-79 is 70 (drive 75-80).

If I was going to take US 50, at this moment with the way the roads currently exist, I'd go north on WV 93 to hit it, instead of going all the way to US 219 (WV 24 makes a nice little cut-off that doesn't involve going into Maryland on 219, if you do choose that option). I've never driven WV 42 between Bismarck and US 50; it might be a decent option as well.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

1995hoo

We took 42 south from 50 this past July on our way home from Fallingwater at the end of an anniversary weekend trip to Pennsylvania (from Fallingwater we went south to US-40, east to US-219, south to US-50, east to WV-42, south to WV-93, and back north to the access road for Corridor H). It was fine, moved right along, and it was a short distance. I was more concerned about Route 50 west of there and it sounds like it might be more hassle than it's worth. If it would allow me to clinch US-50 in Maryland that'd be one thing, but since I've never been out past Salisbury to Ocean City and I doubt I'll ever go there it's not really an issue.

Thanks for the feedback. I anticipate a trip to Dayton on fairly short notice sometime soon and I'd rather go via one of those routes than via Pennsylvania's Interstates.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

froggie

QuoteThanks for the feedback. I anticipate a trip to Dayton on fairly short notice sometime soon and I'd rather go via one of those routes than via Pennsylvania's Interstates.

Not related to Corridor H, but in light of this, have you considered a Cumberland-Uniontown-Washington PA routing (I-68 to US 40 to PA 43 to I-70 in our case)?  We did this about 5 years ago heading west from BWI and it wasn't too bad.  Much more direct than going through West Virginia, and avoids both Breezewood and the PA Turnpike proper.

1995hoo

Quote from: froggie on October 09, 2013, 11:38:46 PM
QuoteThanks for the feedback. I anticipate a trip to Dayton on fairly short notice sometime soon and I'd rather go via one of those routes than via Pennsylvania's Interstates.

Not related to Corridor H, but in light of this, have you considered a Cumberland-Uniontown-Washington PA routing (I-68 to US 40 to PA 43 to I-70 in our case)?  We did this about 5 years ago heading west from BWI and it wasn't too bad.  Much more direct than going through West Virginia, and avoids both Breezewood and the PA Turnpike proper.

We did a route similar to that last time: I-68 to Exit 14 for US-219, then up US-40 (which is just north of I-68 when you exit at 219) to Uniontown and up the toll road to I-70. The toll road, in particular, was a nice drive (aside from crummy weather) because it was new and there was almost nobody else on the road. I think we saw two other cars in the entire stretch. But I think this time if we went I-68 we would continue to I-79 and then drop down to Corridor D. It's a much better road than I-70, has almost no traffic, and is way more scenic.

The other thing is, my wife has driven to Dayton many times, way more often than I have, and she was very happy to learn of an alternate to I-70. So that's a reason to go another way. Any time an alternate route has a high Wife Acceptance Factor it's a GOOD thing!

The interesting thing was that on our last trip, coming home via Corridor D and Corridor H (with that detour to Seneca Rocks) was a shorter distance than the I-70/I-68/Uniontown route we used on the way out, although I didn't make a note of exactly how much shorter (I could certainly work it out using Google Maps or something).

Edited to add: OK, it was only three miles shorter. But on the way out we also went around the east side of the Beltway and across the ICC (the HO/T lanes were not yet open), and we would no longer do that. So I'd guess about 10 miles difference in the end.

hbelkins

There are a couple of cut-offs that could be used from US 33 to Clarksburg. First is US 250 to Grafton and then hit US 50, but the one time I drove that route, I don't remember it being particularly fast. (Although you would get to see the Phillipi covered bridge). Second is WV 20 from Buckhannon, but I've never driven it.

1995hoo

Speed isn't necessarily always the most important thing if there's something interesting on the way. Frankly, part of the reason I asked the question was due to boredom with the Interstate. I'm sure all of you have been in that position at some point.

Thanks for the tip on Philippi. I looked it up on Street View. Didn't know there was a covered bridge there until you mentioned it.

Mapmikey

If Phillipi interests you, it would be better to use WV 72 and WV 38 leaving US 219 at Parsons.  WV 38 isn't bad at all.

Mapmikey

bluecountry

Quote from: leifvanderwall on October 03, 2009, 08:04:55 PM
I'm glad to hear about Corridor H- on my revamping of the interstate system in If You Controlled the Highway System , I felt I-74 or I-66 could be extended through West Virginia for a route to Cincinnati , Columbus, and Richmond. What's this obsession about US 48? Should US 48 reappear because I-68 took its place. We might as have the AASHTO  take over a bunch of state and county roads and call it US 66.
There is absolutely no need to improve US 48 from 81 through WV into an interstate.  This area is sparesly populated and long distance traffic is already served by 70/68/64.  Let's not destroy nature here.

NE2

Philippi probably has the last covered bridge on a mainline U.S. Route (bypassed 2001 by a truck route, but the mainline didn't move).
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

seicer

Additionally, Corridor H is 65 MPH. Interstates are only 5 MPH higher in West Virginia, so there is marginal time difference considering the cost of having to remove all of those newly built intersections - as far and few between as they are. Interchanges already exist for every major cross road, which is something other states should do (ahem, Kentucky).

mtfallsmikey

Quote from: bluecountry on October 10, 2013, 04:25:06 PM
I'm glad to hear about Corridor H- on my revamping of the interstate system in If You Controlled the Highway System , I felt I-74 or I-66 could be extended through West Virginia for a route to Cincinnati , Columbus, and Richmond. What's this obsession about US 48? Should US 48 reappear because I-68 took its place. We might as have the AASHTO  take over a bunch of state and county roads and call it US 66.
There is absolutely no need to improve US 48 from 81 through WV into an interstate.  This area is sparesly populated and long distance traffic is already served by 70/68/64.  Let's not destroy nature here.

Thank you very much! I live in this area, enough has been changed by the mass immigration of City Folk and their ilk.

hbelkins

It makes sense to have one route number for the corridor since it's designed to be a through route between I-79 and I-81. Otherwise you have US 33 to US 219 to WV 32 to WV 93 to WV 55 to VA 55.

Although having the westernmost 30-something miles of US 48 co-signed with US 33 (and the last 15 miles also signed with US 119) and then having US 48 arbitrarily end at I-79 while US 33 and 119 continue on sticks in my craw a little. Not to mention that about 30 miles of US 48 will also be signed with US 219 when the construction is finally finished.

bluecountry

Quote from: mtfallsmikey on October 11, 2013, 09:22:17 AM
Quote from: bluecountry on October 10, 2013, 04:25:06 PM

Thank you very much! I live in this area, enough has been changed by the mass immigration of City Folk and their ilk.
I visit that area, it is absolutely beautiful and pure without chain restaurants.
We have enough east-week routes through the mountains and do not need to waste limited resources on new roads to induce sprawl in lightly traveled areas.
Instead use those funds to fix current gridlocked roads and corridors.

mtfallsmikey

Only "chain" restaurant is Four Corners at Star Tannery, just before you go up North Mt. They have a chain to block off the back of the restaurant... badabing.

hbelkins

Bitmapped

Quote from: NE2 on October 09, 2013, 03:10:42 PM
In hindsight, building Corridor H along US 50 to Clarksburg might have been a better option. It would only add about 10 miles to Charleston-bound traffic, while saving 30-35 miles (over the I-79 jog) for Parkersburg-bound traffic.

No, it would not have been.  Corridor H is far more useful in providing connectivity to the surrounding area and south on its current alignment through Elkins and Buckhannon than if it had been an extension of Corridor D.  Grafton is small and the rest of the area is lightly populated.

froggie

I don't think anyone's arguing that a 4-lane US 33 from Weston to Elkins is unjustified.  I think the point being made is that it would have made more sense to tie Corridor H more directly into Corridor D.  From a systems perspective, extending Corridor D east along US 50 to Winchester makes more sense than the Corridor H routing east of Elkins.  Heck, you could even tie it into Corridor H (and I-66) by using WV 42 between Mt. Storm and Bismark....would've avoided some of the environmental sensitivity/issues between Parsons and Thomas.

hbelkins

Quote from: froggie on October 13, 2013, 02:17:33 PM
I don't think anyone's arguing that a 4-lane US 33 from Weston to Elkins is unjustified.  I think the point being made is that it would have made more sense to tie Corridor H more directly into Corridor D.  From a systems perspective, extending Corridor D east along US 50 to Winchester makes more sense than the Corridor H routing east of Elkins.  Heck, you could even tie it into Corridor H (and I-66) by using WV 42 between Mt. Storm and Bismark....would've avoided some of the environmental sensitivity/issues between Parsons and Thomas.

Of course, the original Corridor H routing was supposed to tie into I-81 at Harrisonburg, hence that isolated four-lane portion east of Elkins that was among the first segments of the route built before the corridor was rerouted.

NE2

Quote from: hbelkins on October 13, 2013, 06:52:45 PM
Of course, the original Corridor H routing was supposed to tie into I-81 at Harrisonburg, hence that isolated four-lane portion east of Elkins that was among the first segments of the route built before the corridor was rerouted.
Nope:

from http://cartweb.geography.ua.edu/lizardtech/iserv/calcrgn?cat=North%20America%20and%20United%20States&item=/US1965a.sid&wid=500&hei=400&props=item%28Name,Description%29,cat%28Name,Description%29&style=simple/view-dhtml.xsl

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

hbelkins

I'll have to find and scan the old WV state maps that show the proposed alignment of US 33 that say otherwise.

NE2

Quote from: hbelkins on October 13, 2013, 08:27:58 PM
I'll have to find and scan the old WV state maps that show the proposed alignment of US 33 that say otherwise.
You're not talking about the second map on this page, are you? http://www.gribblenation.com/wvpics/corrh/

froggie

The Gribblenation page SPUI linked to has it documented.  Corridor H was never intended to go to Harrisonburg.  The initial plan was to continue it east of Elkins along US 33 (hence "The Racetrack", the isolated 4-lane on 33 east of Elkins) to near Seneca Rocks, where the two options were to either head northeast towards Petersburg and Moorefield and east to Strasburg, or continue east to meet I-81 at New Market (and US 211).

hbelkins

Quote from: NE2 on October 13, 2013, 08:35:59 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on October 13, 2013, 08:27:58 PM
You're not talking about the second map on this page, are you? http://www.gribblenation.com/wvpics/corrh/

No, the map I remember had a proposed route marked as US 33. That map doesn't have a route number. My old maps are packed away in three or four different places and I don't have handy access to them.

NE2

Um, the second map on that page does have it marked as US 33...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.