News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Corridor H

Started by CanesFan27, September 20, 2009, 03:01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CanesFan27

Here is a clearer example of the smaller 48 shields Mike refers to:

http://www.gribblenation.com/vapics/corrh/us48va55atshenctyrt623.jpg (taken by Seth Dunn in 2005).

Others I have here - http://www.gribblenation.com/vapics/corrh/

rickmastfan67

I'm guessing by that sign East of I-81 that VDOT wants to get approval to post US-48 to US-11 at least. :happy: :-D

hbelkins

I've put my photos of new US 48 (Corridor H) up on Facebook.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

CanesFan27

Added five construction photos from Sherman Cahal from the Bismarck to Forman section.

VaF

Quote from: Chris on November 02, 2010, 05:20:17 PM
Someone called VAFreeways (is he a member here?) made a video of the new corridor H:

I just posted the eastbound trip on my youtube channel. I also have video of Corridor H in and around Elkins as well - only eastbound though because there would have been too much glare to do a westbound video.

Bryant5493

^^

Welcome aboard, VaF.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

hbelkins

An interesting observation: US 48 is included in the Rand McNally atlas but it is not noted on the official Virginia highway map, even though Virginia has posted the route in the field for about 8 years.

dave19

VaF

I wrote to VDOT about Corridor H and what (if any) plans they have... here's what they wrote back with..

"I want to thank you for and respond to your e-mail of concern regarding Corridor H.   We do not have any major projects planned or programmed in Virginia at this time for Corridor H which follows the Route 55 corridor.  This is a topic that was addressed in the mid 1990s by the Commonwealth Transportation Board. 
Initially public hearings were held to determine the entry point to Virginia. The alternatives were either Route 50 in Frederick County or Route 55 in Shenandoah County.  On May 20, 1993 the Commonwealth Transportation Board (CTB) unanimously voted to accept the southern corridor, which generally follows Route 55 from the West Virginia boarder to Interstate 81.  In January 1995, comments on the second of a three tier planning process for Corridor H were taken at a public hearing at Lord Fairfax Community College in Middletown.  Michael Baker Jr. Inc. was the project consultant for Corridor H.  There was strong local opposition to the project at the hearings.
The transcripts, project material and citizen comments were submitted to the Virginia Commonwealth Transportation Board for review.  The Commonwealth Transportation Board had the choice of a no build option or advancing to the third tier.   February 16, 1995: The Commonwealth Transportation Board chose not to proceed with plans to build Corridor H in Virginia.  The board voted unanimously against the project during its February meeting held in Richmond.
In its resolution, the Board stated no support for a four-lane facility and no support for an improved roadway alternative (IRA).  These options were presented at the January 1995 public hearing.  The board cited a majority of citizen comments favoring the no-build option.  The last paragraph of the resolution states:  "...the Department of Transportation is hereby directed, as may be included in the Six Year Plan, to study the Route 55 corridor safety aspects such as horizontal and vertical alignments, possible need for truck climbing lanes, intersection safety improvements, and other safety related features of the roadway."
The Board's action does not affect the West Virginia portion of Corridor H.  However, all future development of Corridor H plans will be done only in West Virginia.  No Virginia funds were spent on any Corridor H plan development.  Funding for all development to date has been borne by West Virginia."

Henry

I guess you can say that US 48 is making a big comeback after I-68 in MD bumped it off back in 1989.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

LeftyJR

Hey everyone, I noticed that Google maps just updated their section west of Moorefiled, WV to include the new construction of Corridor H (WV-55).

froggie

That's been there for at least a few days.  Also of note: that segment is not part of WV 55.

LeftyJR

True, 55 heads south there at Moorefield.

froggie

Noticed yesterday that the initial distance sign westbound just before the river bridge in Moorefield (which had shown distances to Thomas and Elkins) has since been replaced by one that only shows the mileage to Patterson Creek Rd.  Curiously, a similar distance sign near the west end at Knobley Rd remains in place.

hbelkins

Quote from: froggie on April 04, 2011, 08:08:13 AM
Noticed yesterday that the initial distance sign westbound just before the river bridge in Moorefield (which had shown distances to Thomas and Elkins) has since been replaced by one that only shows the mileage to Patterson Creek Rd.  Curiously, a similar distance sign near the west end at Knobley Rd remains in place.

That Patterson Creek Road sign was in place when I drove it back on March 13. Not sure when prior to that it was replace. I drove it eastbound in November and don't remember looking over my shoulder at the WB sign at that time.

Honestly, once that next section from Knobley Road over to Bismarck near the top of the hill near the intersection of WV 42 and WV 93 (the one nearest Mt. Storm Lake) is completed, I think it will be a viable alternative route to the DC area from my part of the world over I-68 or I-64. The road from Bismarck to Thomas is not bad at all, and I honestly don't think US 219 from Thomas to the beginning of the four-lane north of Elkins (through Parsons) is that bad of a drive. Being used to mountainous two-lanes, I wouldn't mind that stretch of US 219 at all if I was driving from Kentucky to DC.

But don't tell Randy Hersh.

dave19

I drove over WV 93 on the way back home yesterday. The piers are all in for the high bridges over 93 between Scherr and US 50 and the approaches are built up; I'm curious to see whether or not this is completed this summer.

Both bridges are complete over CR 1, roadbed on both sides is graded but not paved. There is a lot more earth moving/grading taking place on the east side of WV 42 since the last time I was up there.

West of the lake along 93, I noticed some tree cutting on the south side of the road in places; don't know if it's related to smoothing a couple curves or not.

froggie

QuoteI drove over WV 93 on the way back home yesterday. The piers are all in for the high bridges over 93 between Scherr and US 50 and the approaches are built up; I'm curious to see whether or not this is completed this summer.

It won't.  There's still a lot of earthwork to do in two places:  the ridge west of Knobley Rd, and the ridge west of 93.  Then there'll be a paving contract to be let.  They're still looking at a late 2013 opening.

dave19

Sorry, I wasn't clear on that - I meant to say the bridge(s) over 93. It's obvious that grading, while started, is far from completion between 93 and 42.

I do have to say that I enjoy driving Route 93 between Davis and Bismarck.

dave19

LeftyJR

Alternatives B, C, and D are the finalists.  A pubic hearing will take place next month with a decision being made by April.  I travel this way quite a bit from Central PA to Franklin, WV, and I hope that this comes to fruition!

http://times-news.com/local/x1095948073/Highway-officials-outline-routes-to-connect-I-68-with-Corridor-H

Here is the map (on page 12): http://apps.roads.maryland.gov/WebProjectLifeCycle/AL613_11/htdocs/Documents/Location_Design/US%20220%20Brochure%20Spreads%20with%20comment%20card.pdf

NE2

Quote from: LeftyJR on September 14, 2011, 02:48:42 PM
Alternatives B, C, and D are the finalists.  A pubic hearing will take place next month with a decision being made by April.  I travel this way quite a bit from Central PA to Franklin, WV, and I hope that this comes to fruition!

http://times-news.com/local/x1095948073/Highway-officials-outline-routes-to-connect-I-68-with-Corridor-H

Here is the map (on page 12): http://apps.roads.maryland.gov/WebProjectLifeCycle/AL613_11/htdocs/Documents/Location_Design/US%20220%20Brochure%20Spreads%20with%20comment%20card.pdf

D seems like a bad alignment, given that most traffic will probably want to go west on Corridor H (long-distance traffic headed east should use US 522), and staying with US 220 to Moorefield will involve crossing several ridges.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

LeftyJR

Alternative C seems to be the best, most direct route IMO. It runs NW to SW, and avoids going around Cumberland (if traveling westbound).  It also seems to line up closer to where US 220 heads north to MD and PA.

Kein Mitleid

I like highways as much as the next guy on here, and I agree that the road is very scenic. However, it's a monumental waste of money that connects nowhere to nowhere. Correct me if I'm wrong.

froggie

Kein:  you're not far off there.  Though I'm sure the residents of Cumberland, MD and Moorefield, WV would like to think they're somewhere, the traffic volumes just don't support a major corridor here.  WVDOT has plenty of roads elsewhere that DO have the volumes to support improvements.  US 220 isn't one of them.  Neither, arguably, is Corridor H itself.

LeftyJR

To me, West Virginia sees its eastern 1/3 as being the next area of development outside of Washington D.C.  My guess is that they are banking on development around these roads after they are built.  Selfishly, I would love this road to be built, but that's only because I travel down that way 3 times a year.  Getting through Cumberland and Keyser isn't what I would call easy.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.