News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Birmingham

Started by Grzrd, September 23, 2010, 09:45:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grzrd

Today, the Birmingham Business Alliance released a 55-page document entitled "Blueprint Birmingham: A Growth Strategy For the Seven-County Region":

http://www.blueprintbirmingham.com/Blueprint_Birmingham_Communication_Plan.pdf

Only three roads are specifically mentioned (Action 12.1, page 30): assist with the timely and efficent completion of Interstate 22; maintain efforts to fund and develop the Northern Beltline as consistent with planning priorities regionally, statewide and nationally; aggressively pursue alternatives to mitigate traffic congestion on U.S. 280 through metro Birmingham.

Compared to seeking "aggressive" action on U.S. 280, it seems like a lukewarm endorsement for efforts re Northern Beltline.

Tourian

Page 32 of Adobe Reader and page 30 of the document itself for those having trouble finding it.

I think the lukewarm Northern Beltline endorsement is due to the fact that it is sooo far off from happening. However, I think anything being done to 280 has little chance of occurring either.

jdb1234

Alex

Birmingham-bound drivers encouraged to take I-459 to avoid detour from I-20/59 N paving

QuoteBESSEMER, Alabama -- About 50,000 vehicles each day pass through Interstate 20/59 north between the Academy Drive and 19th Street exits in Bessemer, according to the Alabama Department of Transportation.

But with all the northbound lanes closed -- likely through the end of April -- for a $9.5 million repaving project, drivers are having to find alternate routes.

ALDOT is asking local traffic to exit I-20/59 N. at exit 108, Academy Drive, and take the Bessemer Superhighway to 19th Street and get back on at exit 112.

Drivers going through to Birmingham are encouraged to instead use I-459. "That will save them a whole lot of time," said Deputy Chief Mike Roper of the Bessemer Police Department.

Roper on Tuesday said the influx of additional drivers on the Superhighway has not caused too many problems.

On Monday, the first day of the 30-day project, police worked about three or four wrecks, Roper said. As of this afternoon, the department had handled one wreck.

After the northbound work is done, the southbound lanes will be shut down for up to 35 days, said ALDOT spokeswoman Linda Crockett.

The entire project is expected to be complete by early this summer.

BamaZeus

That section of the road is in hideous shape, but if they're going to shut the entire highway down for any length of time, they ought to just widen it while they're there.  The widening is coming soon enough anyway, so they're just going to have to repave it again in a couple of years.

codyg1985

Quote from: BamaZeus on April 06, 2012, 12:12:33 PM
That section of the road is in hideous shape, but if they're going to shut the entire highway down for any length of time, they ought to just widen it while they're there.  The widening is coming soon enough anyway, so they're just going to have to repave it again in a couple of years.

I think the work is only for the short concrete section around Alabama Adventure Pkwy.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

codyg1985

Further widening of I-65 south from CR 52 in Pelham to US 31 in Alabaster is planned for 2015, but everything is ready to go if the funding becomes available: http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2012/04/alabama_department_of_transpor_9.html
Cody Goodman

codyg1985

More interstate closures are coming for I-20 between the I-20/59 split and continues through Exit 140. ALDOT wants to rehabilitate the pavement in that stretch. I don't know how they are going to detour traffic on the part of I-20 that is outside of I-459, but I guess we will see.

A project that may start at the end of the year will replace the bridge decking for the elevated portion of I-20/59 through downtown Birmingham.

Major projects set for I-20/59 in Birmingham
Cody Goodman

BamaZeus

I wonder just how far off the final money figure is going to be from re-decking the elevated part of 20/59 to just putting it underground and being done with it.  The article says putting it underground would cost $700 million, as of several years ago.  But, if they're rebuilding each elevated section over a 3 mile long area, that can't be cheap, I don't imagine.

They really can't widen it any between the skyscrapers on either side of the highway, unless they cantilever it over the northern side streets, get rid of the westbound ramps that are left-entrances, and shift the whole thing slightly to the north.  Or, they could conceivably double-deck it, as they have open air above, but that would likely be even uglier than what they have now.

I still think putting the whole thing underground and straightening it out is the best, but obviously most costly solution.  They could go 10 lanes wide if they needed to, and eliminate some of the tight curves and suicide crossing of lanes from Malfunction Junction to the other side of Red Mountain Expressway.

Tourian

I think anything like what you are mentioning is just way too expensive to consider. And even if it were only 10% more you'd have scores of opposition from every direction to make sure that money went somewhere else, unfortunately.

Grzrd

Quote from: codyg1985 on May 08, 2012, 01:20:38 PM
A project that may start at the end of the year will replace the bridge decking for the elevated portion of I-20/59 through downtown Birmingham.
Major projects set for I-20/59 in Birmingham

This article discusses several major projects on tap for the Birmingham area this year, including the bridge decking replacements for the elevated portion of I-20/59 through downtown Birmingham.

codyg1985

I am curious how the bridge decking project on I-20/59 will be done. I wonder if parts of that interstate will be closed and traffic diverted to I-459?
Cody Goodman

Charles2

The plan is indeed to shut down I-20/59 through downtown while the redecking is being carried out.  Likewise, I-20 will be shut down E of the split from I-59 to I-459 when the repaving is done on this route.  In other words, get ready for some major, major headaches driving around the 'Ham while these much needed repairs are made.  And 1st Avenue N. (U.S. 11) and Crestwood Boulevard/3rd Avenue South (U.S. 78) are going to see traffic like they haven't seen in 35 years, because there will be plenty of motorists who won't pay attention to the detour signs.

Off topic, but not necessarily so...wouldn't this be a great opportunity to permanently re-route I-20 along I-459 from Bessemer to Irondale/Leeds?  And if so, would the former I-20 between exits 130 and 136 become I-620 or I-659?  Would this divert enough non-local traffic from I-59 between exits 106 and 130 to make it worthwhile?  Knoxville did the same thing with I-75 and I-640 in the runup to the 1982 World's Fair, leading to the creation of I-275.

Alex

Quote from: Charles2 on January 20, 2013, 10:13:12 PM
The plan is indeed to shut down I-20/59 through downtown while the redecking is being carried out.  Likewise, I-20 will be shut down E of the split from I-59 to I-459 when the repaving is done on this route.  In other words, get ready for some major, major headaches driving around the 'Ham while these much needed repairs are made.  And 1st Avenue N. (U.S. 11) and Crestwood Boulevard/3rd Avenue South (U.S. 78) are going to see traffic like they haven't seen in 35 years, because there will be plenty of motorists who won't pay attention to the detour signs.

Off topic, but not necessarily so...wouldn't this be a great opportunity to permanently re-route I-20 along I-459 from Bessemer to Irondale/Leeds?  And if so, would the former I-20 between exits 130 and 136 become I-620 or I-659?  Would this divert enough non-local traffic from I-59 between exits 106 and 130 to make it worthwhile?  Knoxville did the same thing with I-75 and I-640 in the runup to the 1982 World's Fair, leading to the creation of I-275.

They need to resurface Interstate 459 leading northeast from I-65 before it defaults as the I-20 mainline. The pavement is crumbling in many places, leading to a very rough ride along the road. No wonder many stick to the left or middle lanes...

Charles2

Quote from: Alex on January 22, 2013, 10:03:30 AM
Quote from: Charles2 on January 20, 2013, 10:13:12 PM

They need to resurface Interstate 459 leading northeast from I-65 before it defaults as the I-20 mainline. The pavement is crumbling in many places, leading to a very rough ride along the road. No wonder many stick to the left or middle lanes...

It's supposed to be done this spring or summer, from U.S. 280 to I-20.  Stay tuned for details.  I drive that route every Sunday going to church.  It's not pretty dodging the potholes.

Grzrd

This Q & A blog suggests that potholes on Coalburg Road (a quasi-TEMP I-22 until the I-22/I-65 interchange is completed) will have to be endured for a while, but "there's light at the end of the tunnel":

Coalburg Road, also called County Road 77, hopscotches between Birmingham city limits and Jefferson County. This part between Daniel Payne Drive and Corridor X is definitely a city thing.
The city has done some patching recently, but driving Coalburg remains a bit of a vehicular waltz, going up-down and side-to-side while rattling through necessary artful swerves.
Coalburg existed long before Corridor X -- the future Interstate 22 -- began angling through the hills toward Interstate 65. As the last turn from the completed section of the new interstate, Coalburg is serving an added purpose that outstretches its design ....
The city will continue to patch as new craters dent the surface, Lupo said. Little comfort to the drivers who must do the daily slow traffic waltz there.
Oh, but look ahead. Lupo put it best: "There's light at the end of the tunnel."
Dream with me, for a bit. How about a nice, wide, paved Coalburg complete with a center lane to remove turning vehicle obstacles along the way?
It's coming
-- or at least we're about as near to a new road as we've ever been.
Coalburg Road is on the list to get additional lanes between Daniel Payne Drive and Corridor X. The 2.3-mile-long redo is a joint effort of the city and the Alabama Department of Transportation and will cost about $8 million, ALDOT records show ....
As of right now, the state plans to seek bids on the project as early as April. If that happens it could mean construction this summer, as state road work schedules go ....

Just finish the I-22/I-65 interchange on schedule ...

ARMOURERERIC

Or at least get the EB 22 to SB 65 ramp open

codyg1985

^^ I think the project to widen Coalburg Road was brought up before Corridor X terminated there. Another road that connects to Corridor X, Hillcrest Road, is supposed to be widened at some point as well. Probably all in anticipation of economic development more than anything else.
Cody Goodman

Charles2

Photo essay of the progress of the construction of the I-22/I-65 interchange, from www.al.com.  They can't get it completed soon enough.

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2013/02/aldot_corridor_x_on_target_for.html#incart_river_default

Tomahawkin

After That Interchange is complete, ALDOT Needs to address the I-20 viaduct that is 2 lanes in each direction from Montevallo Road to The Merge with I-59, That should've been addressed 15 years ago, that drive is Hell!

barcncpt44

Speaking of potholes.  Jefferson County can not even afford to patch any new potholes on the roads.  Many of the roads in the county are just a mess!

A bland smile is like a green light at an intersection, it feels good when you get one, but you forget it the moment you're past it. -Doug Coupland

codyg1985

Quote from: Tomahawkin on February 23, 2013, 01:49:39 PM
After That Interchange is complete, ALDOT Needs to address the I-20 viaduct that is 2 lanes in each direction from Montevallo Road to The Merge with I-59, That should've been addressed 15 years ago, that drive is Hell!

That section is going to get a pavement rehab (not sure if this includes the bridge deck), but no new capacity. :(
Cody Goodman

Bamaroadgeek

What are the chances of an eventual I-22 extension to 20/59 by the airport? That would be much more effective than the Northern Beltline, since it won't connect to I-20 anyway.

Grzrd

Quote from: Bamaroadgeek on March 26, 2013, 05:43:34 PM
What are the chances of an eventual I-22 extension to 20/59 by the airport? That would be much more effective than the Northern Beltline, since it won't connect to I-20 anyway.

Ten months ago I posted, in the Interstate 22 thread, about an email reply I received from ALDOT on this topic.  To make a long story short, it would take an expensive environmental cleanup to extend I-22.  It has been a dead issue at ALDOT for approximately a decade.

That said, the enactment of MAP-21 last summer altered the ARC funding formula to allow 100% federal funding for ADHS projects, which I believe is a result that Richard Shelby helped to engineer in order to advance the Northern Beltline (aka "Corridor X-1").  I would like to see Senator Shelby have the definition of "Corridor X" be amended to include an eastern terminus at the I-20/I-59 corridor (with the I-20 viaducts specifically included in that definition).  Then, 100% federal funding could theoretically be applied to the cleanup, as well as actual construction of an extension (and a rebuild of the viaducts  :sombrero:).

My sense is that the big money support is squarely behind the Northern Beltline and might not look favorably upon a competing I-22 extension.  If the Northern Beltline completely bogs down, then the I-22 extension might be re-examined. Simply my opinion. 

codyg1985

ALDOT has posted materials from their recent public involvment meeting to rebuild the I-20/59 viaduct through downtown Birmingham. The proposal calls for eliminating exits between I-65 and US 31/280 so that the road can be widened. Access to the CBD will be provided from 11th Avenue. Ramps will be built on either end of 11th Avenue to connect to I-20/59. The new bridges will be built using segmented construction.
Cody Goodman

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.