News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Overlaps of non-numbered streets

Started by kurumi, July 21, 2018, 04:22:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mapman1071

Quote from: bzakharin on November 01, 2018, 04:19:48 PM
How about Avenue of the Americas / 6th Ave in NYC? Or Avenue of the Arts / Broad Street in Philadelphia?
Those Streets are Dual Named and do not count

AMLNet49

There are a bunch of examples of this in NYC, particularly around 1) the west village, 2) midtown at broadway's sharp angled intersections with avenues, and 3) where the elevation of NY is uneven. No streets are double named but there are some examples of them effectively merging for stretches.

Heck before the closure to road traffic Times Square was sort of an example of this although divided

ilpt4u

Quote from: mapman1071 on November 01, 2018, 10:37:55 PM
Quote from: bzakharin on November 01, 2018, 04:19:48 PM
How about Avenue of the Americas / 6th Ave in NYC? Or Avenue of the Arts / Broad Street in Philadelphia?
Those Streets are Dual Named and do not count
Cermak Rd/22nd St in Chicago would also be in the Dual Named club

ipeters61

I did think of something that I think is dual named over Thanksgiving, when I was visiting my father in Portland ME: https://goo.gl/maps/sG8SBBayvck

Both Capisic Street and Frost Street are signed at this intersection, heading in the same direction.
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

Roadsguy

Quote from: ipeters61 on January 01, 2019, 10:42:21 AM
I did think of something that I think is dual named over Thanksgiving, when I was visiting my father in Portland ME: https://goo.gl/maps/sG8SBBayvck

Both Capisic Street and Frost Street are signed at this intersection, heading in the same direction.

Interestingly, according to Google Maps, houses on the north side of the street have Capisic Street addresses, and those on the south side have Frost Street addresses.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

kphoger

Quote from: Roadsguy on January 01, 2019, 12:55:53 PM

Interestingly, according to Google Maps, houses on the north side of the street have Capisic Street addresses, and those on the south side have Frost Street addresses.

Then, in my opinion, this really does qualify as two different streets sharing the same pavement.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ipeters61

Quote from: kphoger on January 01, 2019, 04:08:22 PM
Quote from: Roadsguy on January 01, 2019, 12:55:53 PM

Then, in my opinion, this really does qualify as two different streets sharing the same pavement.
I just tried testing this on the USPS "ZIP Code Lookup" tool: https://tools.usps.com/zip-code-lookup.htm?byaddress

Using 19 Capisic Street and 20 Frost Street, it appears that the odd numbered houses are on Capisic Street and the even numbered houses are on Frost Street.  USPS will give a ZIP+4 code for addresses following that specification, testing "19 Frost Street" and "20 Capisic Street" gives a 04102 ZIP code, but no +4.  So I think USPS officially recognizes the specification that Google Maps is following.

Maybe westbound is Capisic Street and eastbound is Frost Street?
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

TheStranger

Found one in the Sacramento area I have driven on before, but hadn't been on in ages:

the section of Rio Linda Boulevard that links the southern portion of Marysville Boulevard in Robla with the southern edge of Rio Linda:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/38.6734436,-121.4562016/38.6620924,-121.4477136/@38.6689205,-121.4563364,1746m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m2!4m1!3e0

The overlap is nearly a mile long.
Chris Sampang

kphoger

Quote from: TheStranger on January 15, 2020, 01:41:28 PM
Found one in the Sacramento area I have driven on before, but hadn't been on in ages:

the section of Rio Linda Boulevard that links the southern portion of Marysville Boulevard in Robla with the southern edge of Rio Linda:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/38.6734436,-121.4562016/38.6620924,-121.4477136/@38.6689205,-121.4563364,1746m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m2!4m1!3e0

Based on what evidence are you asserting that the road carries both names?  All the signs I'm seeing on GSV only show it being Rio Linda Blvd.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

TheStranger

Quote from: kphoger on January 15, 2020, 02:06:52 PM
Quote from: TheStranger on January 15, 2020, 01:41:28 PM

Based on what evidence are you asserting that the road carries both names?  All the signs I'm seeing on GSV only show it being Rio Linda Blvd.

I was just following all the other examples of a thread (street stops for a few blocks then restarts on the other end with same name, same trajectory, etc).  Based on your earlier post I guess none of these examples count at all.

From 1947-1966 (via HistoricAerials shots) Marysville Boulevard more directly continued into the northwest trajectory that crosses Dry Creek; I'm not sure if the road joining the two was Marysville Boulevard or the current name Rio Linda Boulevard in that time period.
Chris Sampang

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: webny99 on July 23, 2018, 09:20:56 AM
Don't know how I forgot the overlap of Stone Road and Tobey Road in Pittsford, NY.
This one is unique in that Stone ends at Tobey... and then Tobey continues as Stone.
That happens all the time
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: roadman65 on July 25, 2018, 12:13:52 AM
Piscataway, NJ has both Washington Avenue and Stelton Road share pavement across the former Reading Rail Line.
Market Street and Raymond Blvd do it in Ironbound, Newark, New Jersey.
Another NJ example: Clinton Pl and Nye Ave are multiplexed on an overpass over I-78. What's interested about that one is that the little green label on the overpass used to say Clinton Pl, but now says Nye Ave (which makes more sense, since Nye Ave is the more major thoroughfare).
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.