News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Light Pole Types - US and Canada Highways

Started by ChiMilNet, June 18, 2020, 05:35:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChiMilNet

When we look at highways of other countries, I tend to notice that the construction standards and lighting/light pole types are consistent through all the provinces/territories. the U.S. and Canada seem to be 2 countries that really stand out to where you'll find all sorts of different construction standards, notably the types of light poles.

For instance, one state may use aluminum truss or masts, while the next may use steel truss structures. Some widely use davit style (Minnesota, looking at you), and some can't seem to make up their mind between truss/mast/davit (looking at you, Illinois). I guess the point of this thread is to discuss the different types of light poles and also just state your preference or favorite. I'll even take it a step further and say talk about which states you wish might change their standard installation types.

With that, I'll start:
Preferred/favorite type - aluminum truss/mast. Just looks clean and also aluminum doesn't rust. Ex: Illinois Tollway

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.0422541,-87.987619,3a,75y,116.21h,92.41t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sjpkehn2dAJosOZdQ2k0IQQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Least favorite type/style - I'll call it the "MODOT" style. Just looks kind of ugly and bizarre (plus, I am not a fan of steel poles since they rust eventually). Two examples here. *Not trying to pick on MO, just an example!

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.5055475,-90.6234195,3a,75y,218.02h,83.95t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1svIjfAAXfAp1r0u2xSFQ6fQ!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo2.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DvIjfAAXfAp1r0u2xSFQ6fQ%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D162.58784%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.5953781,-90.5086613,3a,75y,356.45h,92.31t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sjUMpEcGrB1tphkV0Zn3G4g!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

EpicRoadways

Even more interesting I think is the lack of national standards for lighting placement on state-maintained freeways. Some states won't put interchange lighting anywhere, even in urban areas and at major junctions (Wisconsin, Michigan, South Carolina), while other states will go light an entire interchange that sees 100 vehicles a day and then some (*cough cough Illinois*). And then there's the states like Missouri... where the lighting spec sheets look like a game of pin the tail on the donkey. In terms of actual construction, I'll second that aluminum trusses look the best. I'm also a fan of Minnesota's "bent-straw arm"poles, especially when they're painted black. Unfortunately they don't see very much use anymore outside of rest areas since they're more expensive than other poles, so the staple Minnesota-style davit usually replaces these when they time out.

ChiMilNet

Quote from: EpicRoadways on June 18, 2020, 07:49:31 PM
Even more interesting I think is the lack of national standards for lighting placement on state-maintained freeways. Some states won't put interchange lighting anywhere, even in urban areas and at major junctions (Wisconsin, Michigan, South Carolina), while other states will go light an entire interchange that sees 100 vehicles a day and then some (*cough cough Illinois*). And then there's the states like Missouri... where the lighting spec sheets look like a game of pin the tail on the donkey. In terms of actual construction, I'll second that aluminum trusses look the best. I'm also a fan of Minnesota's "bent-straw arm"poles, especially when they're painted black. Unfortunately they don't see very much use anymore outside of rest areas since they're more expensive than other poles, so the staple Minnesota-style davit usually replaces these when they time out.

I never understood that either! It cracks me up I-90 is entirely lit up all the way from Chicago to Rockford (there was a whole article in the Tribune about this and the view from space when this was done a few years back), yet, as you mention, you go into a state like Wisconsin, and lighting is barely existent (another one is Arkansas). Ironically, Illinois also has quite a representation of the MN Style davits, and IDOT seems to be about 50/50 on the truss/davit installations these days. MN lighting is definitely some of the more interesting and unique, not to mention their stoplight poles are unique too.

kphoger

Quote from: ChiMilNet on June 18, 2020, 09:30:26 PM
I-90 is entirely lit up all the way from Chicago to Rockford

This, the first time I drove it in the dark, struck me as really weird.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Henry

Having lived in L.A. for twelve years (first as a college student splitting time between there and Chicago for four years, then as a permanent resident for eight), I've grown quite fond of the classic guyed poles found at older freeway junctions, as seen on the westbound Santa Monica Freeway approaching downtown:

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0336037,-118.2650782,3a,75y,308.12h,96.45t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1seHE51GlbFBUC0ey0XWPE8Q!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Another great classic is the West Coast bent-arm style, which I believe has been adopted by the East Coast states, particularly in the Mid-Atlantic (this one is on the northbound Long Beach Freeway):

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0544643,-118.1640202,3a,75y,342.56h,85.75t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sIQ64N8tBRX3HKHdldp2ILw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

ChiMilNet

Quote from: Henry on June 19, 2020, 10:00:44 AM
Another great classic is the West Coast bent-arm style, which I believe has been adopted by the East Coast states, particularly in the Mid-Atlantic

Yes, Maryland predominantly uses them, and Pennsylvania uses a variation of them in many spots not on the turnpikes. I think, aside from those states, though, they are more common in Western States. Definitely a classic look for California!

BrynM65

Curved outreach arms - I-78 Newark Bay Ext for example -  always get a thumbs up from me. The "deskeys" in NYC also get a point despite being almost obnoxiously clunky.

The road giveth, and the road taketh away...

hobsini2

I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.