News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

state route endpoint oddities

Started by prenatt1166, August 06, 2010, 11:00:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bickendan

OR 351 ends at a cul-de-sac in Lake Wallowa State Park.

SteveG1988

NJ 90 ends at a unsigned freeway that should have been PA90, but due to community opposition the freeway was never built beyond the western approach for the betsy ross bridge. The freeway also ends at a ghost ramp for the proposed freeway in PA, and until 1997 (Bridge opened in 1976) there was no direct link between it and interstate 95.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Dr Frankenstein

Many routes in Canada – mostly northern routes – end in a cul-de-sac. Just think of all those 500- and 800-series routes in Ontario. And QC-138, which suddenly ends in the middle of nowhere a little after Natashquan.

Also, QC-132 ends in a 3-way intersection with itself after looping around the Gaspésie peninsula. I assume its cardinal direction suddenly switches around Gaspé...

Sainte-Flavie Québec [GFDL (www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html), CC-BY-SA-3.0 (www.creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/) or CC-BY-SA-2.5-ca (www.creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.5/ca/deed.en)], by Commons : Antaya
Wikpedia : Antaya (Own work / Travail personnel), from Wikimedia Commons

Roadsign199qc

Hi!

Dr Frankenstein

Quillz

There are a few routes in California that actually extend further than their "End" signs might indicate. CA-203, for example, seemingly ends about a mile before Mammoth Mountain, yet I believe it actually extends all the way into the parking lot to connect to a road that goes to the Devil's Postpile. Then there is CA-198, which maps show running along the Generals' Highway in the Sequoias, yet the "End" sign is about a mile before the park entrance. (CA-198 and CA-180 meet around Kings Canyon.)

I think it comes from California's awkward method of terminating routes based on legislative boundaries rather than actual junctions.

hbelkins

Kentucky has a route that loops around a bend in the Ohio River and ends at itself. Can't remember the number offhand and I've never driven it, but I'd like to sometime just to see how it's signed.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

rmsandw

Similar to the original post IL 114 ends at the IL/IN state line and about 13 miles south IN 114 use to end at the IL/IN state line at a Iroquois County Highway, but now ispulled back to end at U.S. 41
http://roads.billburmaster.com  Roads of the Mid-South & West
http://www.youtube.com/user/rmsandw YouTube Channel
http://www.billburmaster.com

corco

Loop SR 100 in Washington also ends at itself-it's not really a loop in a traditional sense, there's a 360 degree "loop" but then a connector road to US-101 (not to be confused with SR 100 Spur, which branches off 100 Loop to go to a Coast Guard facility)

J3ebrules

NJ 324 is a fun one. It starts at a dead end on the shore of the Delaware River and ends in a cul-de-sac, is partially closed and unmaintained, and doesn't intersect anything with a number.

Basically, before the Commodore Barry Bridge was built, it was an alignment of US 322 that went to the Bridgeport-Chester ferry. After the ferry was discontinued and US 322 realigned, they basically just slapped a new number over the old road and didn't do much else.
Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike - they’ve all come to look for America! (Simon & Garfunkel)

tigerwings

In Ohio, state routes 64 and 105 end at each other on the I-75 overpass in Bowling Green.

State routes 7 and 531 end at each other in Conneaut.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: tigerwings on September 25, 2020, 06:19:13 PM
In Ohio, state routes 64 and 105 end at each other on the I-75 overpass in Bowling Green.

I've seen plenty of these, but the strangest might be WV-152 ending at WV-527 on the I-64 overpass in Huntington, West Virginia. 

In 1977, US-52 was relocated along an upgraded and relocated routing of old WV-75 along the Big Sandy River (now known as the Tolsia Highway) to Kenova, and multiplexed to the Fifth Street Road exit for US-52.  In that move, WV-152 (old US-52 from an earlier relocation) was multiplexed over WV-37 between Echo and Wayne and extended all the way to Huntington.  Then in 1979, US-52 was relocated to the West Huntington Bridge and the multiplex was shortened.  Ohio already had an OH-152, so the old route over the ancient and now-replaced Sixth Street Bridge was numbered WV-527 and OH-527 (presumably numbered for connecting old US-52 with OH-7).  With limited monies for signage, the DOH opted not to resign the southern section and thus a mismatch at the I-64 interchange.

thspfc

WI-23, WI-28, and WI-42 all end at each other in Sheboygan.

bugo

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 02, 2010, 01:14:07 AM
Is this just a generic "termini oddities" page? If so, I should bring up the Y-shaped OK 63A and OK-77S, which has no less than four termini (two on the "main loop", then two spurs connecting with other highways).

Don't forget the suffixed OK 251 series of access roads at Fort Gibson Lake. OK 251D had 4 termini, while OK 251E had 3 ends. OK 251A is the only remaining member of the 251 series, and it only has two ends. OK 251B and 251C had two termini as well. There has never been an OK 251 that I am aware of.

CardInLex

Quote from: hbelkins on November 09, 2010, 08:43:59 AM
Kentucky has a route that loops around a bend in the Ohio River and ends at itself. Can't remember the number offhand and I've never driven it, but I'd like to sometime just to see how it's signed.

Kentucky also has KY 620 in Scott County that is a spiral. The road crosses/meets US 25 three (four if you count the brief overlap) times. One end point is between the other two intersections.

ftballfan

Quote from: CardInLex on September 27, 2020, 09:26:17 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on November 09, 2010, 08:43:59 AM

Kentucky also has KY 620 in Scott County that is a spiral. The road crosses/meets US 25 three (four if you count the brief overlap) times. One end point is between the other two intersections.
The westernmost 25 or so miles of KY 32 almost exactly parallels KY 620

GaryV

Despite being 96 miles long, the endpoints of M-123 are only about 53 miles apart.

JCinSummerfield

Quote from: GaryV on September 28, 2020, 12:19:00 PM
Despite being 96 miles long, the endpoints of M-123 are only about 53 miles apart.

That's why I push for the eastern leg to become and extension of US-31.

GaryV

Quote from: JCinSummerfield on September 28, 2020, 02:07:46 PM
Quote from: GaryV on September 28, 2020, 12:19:00 PM

That's why I push for the eastern leg to become and extension of US-31.

The western leg should have been numbered M-117.

MikieTimT

There are multiple segments of AR-60, AR-215, AR-217, and AR-41 in Arkansas as well.  There are countless that I'm sure others could add, but those are the ones near where I grew up.

cwf1701

How about M-185? Can you name any other state highway who beginning and end point is in the same spot?

hbelkins

Quote from: cwf1701 on September 29, 2020, 07:32:23 PM
How about M-185? Can you name any other state highway who beginning and end point is in the same spot?

KY 4.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Verlanka

Quote from: hbelkins on September 30, 2020, 10:57:25 AM
Quote from: cwf1701 on September 29, 2020, 07:32:23 PM

KY 4.
AL 210
FL 9A (Jacksonville)
GA 407

Flint1979

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 06, 2010, 11:46:05 AM
Depends if you consider the western OK 15 and the eastern OK 15 "two different routes with the same number". When US 412 was commissioned it took over a big chunk of OK 15, so now there are two different OK 15s, both of which end at US 412. But then US 412 isn't a state route...

There are three OK 9As that end at OK 9, but that's probably not the sort of thing you're looking for.
That's honestly no different than what Indiana does. Like for example they have three segments of SR-4. Although I don't think they ever connected to each other like OK-15 did.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.